TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Javelin amx restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Javelin amx restoration
    Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 10:31pm
I like to see these cars fixed instead of junked or parted out so I thought I would share a restoration of a 1973 Javelin amx

This  1973 Javelin amx which was my first car and I wanted to show you pictures of the restoration but I am having problems inserting images. Please help if you can I want to show you the pics!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway my brother bought it from the original owner in 1984.  The car had the dealer sticker on the rear bumper and I THINK from my memmory it said Bloomfield NJ on it.  I remember seeing my brother's other few first cars which were a Postal jeep, a 197? six cylinder camaro and a 197? mustang 302 3 speed . They were all kinda cool but when I saw this 1973 Javelin amx it looked like to me at the time a Mad Max car LOL!

From what I was told the original owner bought it off the showroom floor and hear is what it came with from the factory which I think was ordered from the dealer in Bloomfeild New jersey

1.AMX (option)
2.Olympic blue metalic (choice)
3.360ci 2v (option)
4.Gold pin stripe (choice)
5.white vinyl roof (option)
6.Front disk brakes (option)
7.Front spolier (option)
8.Hood "t" stripe (option)
9.Multiplex am/fm radio (option)
10.Air conditioning (option)
11.Black interior (choice)
12.White vinyl seats (choice)
13.Underhood insulation (option)
14.287:1 axle open (standard)
15.727 Tourqe flight 3 speed auto transmission (standard)

UPGRADES

1.Rally pack guages
2.Rear window defogger
3.Vanity mirror (oem)
4.Oem 4 bbl intake with ford motorcraft police fleet carburator
5.Duel exhaust
6.Cowl induction using oem hood with oem parts and oem "looking parts"
7.Am/fm 8 track (sears roebuck Co.)

I want to keep the car as original as possible but add on a  few mostly original options

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 9:30am
Sounds like a cool project and we all would love to see pictures.
Now about the pictures 2 ways of posting them.
1) To use the insert option you need to have 30 posts same to post in the For Sell area.
2) You could host the pictures on photobucket or the like or your own web site and link them or use the code  IMG  /IMG with [ infront & end ] of the IMG  /IMG
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 10:22am
Yea I really did not take to many pics but I saw other people's projects and I really like to read about them and look at the pics so I figured let me show the AMC I am fixing and take some more pictures.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I have 17 posts now.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 6:22pm
Before you know it you will have the magic number and we will get to see what she looks like.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 9:18pm
Lol!! Thanks for your interest! I noticed you have a few gremlins. Me and my friend were just talking about the Gremlin because he saw one on tv the other day racing a 1/4 Mile against some kinda mustang. He said the Gremlin lost but it looked mean and pulled a little wheelie. I said I am not into that hot rod 1/4 mile stuff. I told him that the Gremlin did at one time come with the 304 v8 and I bet it was fast considering the weight of the car and that 304 engine.

My brother had a 1979 cj5 with the 304 (all original) and the gas pedal got stuck to the floor and I was very scared of the power and  we went through a red light!!!! Never thought a little jeep would be so fast. He had one with a 6 cyl and it was normal but that 304 was kinda scary in that little jeep.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 9:30pm
Big body Javelins present their own unique issues for restoration. I can't wait to see how you approach the project and I can't wait to see your pictures. Good luck with the project. 

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 9:33pm
My car looks really bad now! I just had to cut off two bolts and broke one in the bumper guard. I have to fix the troughs they are rotted out really bad and the driver's side has other problems from being in an accident. Not a bad accident but enough to bend things chip protective coatings and cause more rot over the years!

A lot more brazing and forming metal than I thought but it has to be done. I already have almost all the parts, 99% US made and I am into it about 4,500 already. I am guessing another 8,000 and it could be done excluding my over 1 year of labor almost every night.Can't seem to get it done LOL.

I even hooked up the radio wires very close to oem. I installed the fader switch which was a heck of a job! Cannot beleived it worked. I can go on and on...

Do you have any projects pics and stories I would like to see them?
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 9:47pm
Sounds like you have a ton of work on your hands. As for my projects I assume you mean Javelin projects as I have two completed projects posted and another one I am in the process of completing and posting. I mostly do resto/mod work. Here is the link to the Javelin project.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/74-javelin-refresh-for-javlynn-sue_topic41548.html

Edited by pit crew - Aug/05/2012 at 9:48pm

dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 9:52pm
LOL! I approched it thinking 5,000 now thinking 15,000. The left front frame rail is COMPLETELY rotted out and the rocker panels are also I just hope I can do the repairs and not have the whole car bend on me! Yea that is how bad the rot is. But the rot is not everwhere but it is bad. I am fixing certain things but the front frame rail and the front floors are going to be done by a professional. I can braze metal with oxy/acyl and have done some firewall and piller repair with good looking strong results but some things are just too much for me!

I wish I could show the pics of the frame rail you would not believe it! I think I have the only Javelin that rotted out this bad. It was my brother's birhtday today and my brothers were making fun of me trying to fix this thing but hey do like the car. heck, my brother bought it in 1984 and when I am done I hope it will be better than 1984 maybe 1977 condition LOL!
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 10:02pm
Trust me Darren, I know all about projects that snowball. Just when you think you have a good handle on the scope of the project it jumps another level in magnitude. Must be one of those unwritten rules you hear about.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
  Share Topic