TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Hornet Hatchback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 7:57pm
It's been a little while, sorry about the broken picture links. Have been off the forum for a couple months and only recently did I discover the whole photobucket thing, hopefully I'll get those pictures back up somewhat soon. Anyway, progress has been made. The bumper tuck is nearly complete, the only thing left to do is have the shocker absorbers welded in place, and maybe make a much smaller fill panel if I feel it's necessary. I was able to push the bumper back about 2 3/8" from where it originally was with some slight modifications to the bumper core in order to clear the valance. there were also some tabs with 1/2" holes on the bottom of the bumper itself that needed to be cut off to clear valance. Someone had already drilled holes in the top of the bumper for fog lights i'm guessing, so I wasn't really worried about extra modifications to make it work. 

Before: 

After: 

1972 Javelin
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 3:17am
Looks good. You now qualify for the "Chip Foose Bumper Tuck Award"
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 4:41am
That makes a HUGE difference in the overall appearance. It looks great.

I've always preferred these Hornet fenders and hood over the earlier style. That's why I opted to install them on my 72 Gremlin. I just never cared for that bumper sticking way out there since the Gremlin rear bumper was tucked in and recessed into the quarter panels. What you did is much simpler that the route I chose.......

I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 11:55am
Looks great! I also want to buy a car and drive it home Roadkill style. Maybe someday...

1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 8:13pm
Thanks for the positive feedback! If anyone is interested I have pictures of what needs to be trimmed for the bumper to go back that far.

In other news, a big purchase was made last weekend, this 1977 Jeep Wagoneer.  It will donating it's 401 and likely it's turbo 400 to the hornet (would like to have an overdrive, but depending on budget that may not happen). I almost feel bad, but It would never pass smog and the rear differential is failing, so it seems like the perfect candidate. I was expecting the 401 to need to be rebuilt, but it sounds good and doesn't smoke at all, so It may just end up going straight in depending on what oil pressure and compression numbers are. (Don't worry, I checked the block casting and it is a 401) 

1972 Javelin
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 10:36pm
Its been a good while since I posted, but a bit of progress has been made.

All the hardware for the scarebird large rotor kit has been installed and went pretty smoothly. Once everything gets squared away and the remaining problems are solved, I have pretty detailed pictures of the whole install for a separate write up. In hindsight it probably would have smarter to do the suspension work prior to the brakes as some it has to come right back off. 

Also got new wheels and tires, American Racing torque thrust d's in 16x8 with Bf Goodrich sport-comp 2's in 225-50-r16. I was expecting to have to remove the stainless trim and roll the fender lips, but it looks like those big flares might give it chance to work as is. It does sit a tad high in the front for my taste, but for now that's on the back burner. 

1972 Javelin
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 12:32am
I hope you didn't junk the Wagoneer. Have you seen what they're going for lately?
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 1:14am
Nah still have the jeep, geting ready to the pull engine. I originally kind of felt bad taking engine out, but it is a 77' so that means smog, and the rear diff is going out. Once the engine is out I'll probably sell the rolling chassis leaving the th400 and transfer case intact.
1972 Javelin
70Javelin360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 6:53pm
beautiful car!! front bumper looks great! going to put a front spoiler on it?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2431219
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2018 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by 70Javelin360 70Javelin360 wrote:

beautiful car!! front bumper looks great! going to put a front spoiler on it?

Yup! I heard that a front spoiler meant for a first gen Camaro is supposed to be a pretty good fit, and after buying a cheap reproduction and trying it out the lines are pretty close but not spot on. I may end up making it work, or I may end up making one. 
1972 Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic