TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin X Hatch Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdsleyTank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Gremlin X Hatch Repair
    Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 8:24pm
Hi all, just brought home the new to me 1973 Gremlin X.

So, it has a slight issue, the hatch hinges have separated from the hatch glass trim itself. Is there a way to repair this? The hatch is currently only being held in by the hatch latch.

Would JB Weld work? (I know I'm gonna get shot for that, but I had to ask)

Many thanks,
Peter

Edited by ArdsleyTank - Jun/09/2018 at 7:25am
partsguy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 9:01pm
pictures
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 9:03pm
Those hinges are spot welded to the hatch metal trim.
 I doubt J-B Weld or any very good industrial structural adhesive would have the  strength to do the job when you consider the very small area you have for a bond.

I've used the latest structural bonding adhesives out there,  and I've seen them fail when miss used.
Usually it was when someone didn't have a big enough bond area.

I've fixed one before,  not from a Gremlin,  but another car with the hinge welded to the trim.

Took a lot of patience and time.   Had to use a heat gun to break the bond between the glass and trim,  then gently unbend the trim at the bottom and work it off the glass enough to be able to weld the hinge back without heating the glass up.    Then squirt a little urethane glue in the channel and gently rubber hammer the trim back into position. Took a lot more time working it off than putting it back. Maybe 6-8 hours.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jun/08/2018 at 9:40pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
ArdsleyTank View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdsleyTank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 9:07pm
Alright guys, here's some pics.

Edited by ArdsleyTank - Jun/10/2018 at 9:10pm
madmax View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 9:20pm
i just parted out a 73 gremlin x and have the hatch glass and hinges. are you going to auburn amo?

American Heavy Metal

restoration parts and mechanical restoration services

70 amx black
1968 kaplan amx ss/racecar
1969 amx racecar
1970 trans am javelin
1969 amx white/platinum
1972 gremlin
ArdsleyTank View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdsleyTank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 9:32pm
Unfortunately, I am not. Thank you for your offer though!
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 9:58pm
I can think of a way you might be able to repair that with adhesive,   but it wouldn't look original.

You'd have to remove the hinge from the car, and go ahead and break the hinge off the spots welds.  

Then weld additional metal to the portion that goes to the hinge so the the trim is sitting in a pocket,  more or less tripling the bond area.  Or even extending the tab out each side and making the bonding area 9 times greater, structual adhesive would work then with enough bond area.  It'd take someone good with a Mig, or Tig welder.

That would save you from having to remove the trim from the glass, which by far the hardest part of this fix.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 6:20am
For a quick fix you could cut a piece of thick Lexan (more scratch resistant then plexiglass) and drill the hinges and window. Have to be a bit concerned about scratches, so be careful when washing. I replaced my Lexan motorcycle windshield every 5-6 years, but the back glass doesn't get the beating a windshield does. Won't look original, but most won't pay attention unless it's being judged as a restored car. I'd definitely consider a Lexan rear window for a driver.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic