TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 12:27am
Thanks Joe...
I know I'll getter done...
It's the primer that I put over the epoxy primer that's rather rough. I'm not worried about the epoxy. That went on really nice and curred very well. It was when I went to the 2k high build primer that's rough. And that's when I started to have problems. It was the heat of the day by the time I got to the 2k. And I was having compressor problems too. My compressor is getting rather worn out.
I will get back at this in a couple of days. Gonna let things get good and dry first.

Edited by BrotherBamc - Jul/07/2018 at 12:48am
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 7:01pm
Tester size...
Single stage acrylic... 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 7:47pm
Woooo! I got goosebumps all over lookin' at your sweet '73 gettin' ready for paint: wow, way to go man! -That's my favorite car in the whole world right there! (Gremlins make such good hot rods)

Thanks for showing the pics.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2018 at 3:33pm
Door hinges...!!! 
Purchased a rebuilt pair from a forum member a couple of years ago that had been rebuilt and ready to go. Got to looking at them and they'd been drilled out and replaced with something other then original pieces and they were loose. The fit between the bushing and the hinge was the culprit. It was terrible. 
Installed a set that I got from Kennedy and they fit like a glove in the original hinges. 
Now just waiting on pins and bushings from Kennedy to put these puppies together. 
Gremlin has been drying in the sun for the past couple of days. Going to start block sanding tonight when it cools down a little bit. 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2018 at 6:37pm
Nice color choice, the Caravelle Blue is a pretty color in my book.  You have done some great work, congrats on the final stretch!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2018 at 4:36pm
Still has grey primer on it, so I guess it came out all right. (I think) 
And it's smooth too..!!! Big smile
Started late last night and finished up early this morning. Now comes the blow off/wipe and put back in the garage until I can get the air compressor problem(s) figured out and the afternoon thunderstorms roll through. And until I can get my air compressor problem(s) fixed, I am pretty much at a stand still. (except for lots of hand sanding)
We are going to have at least a couple more coats 2k primer and block sand. 
I will probably hit everything again with some 320 grit. I used 220 to get the roughness off and I already know that there are little spots that will need some attention. 

I didn't bother to put primer on the inside of the roof. In fact most of the interior I probably wont touch except where it will be visible. Door jams, the very rear panels and that's about it. I also didn't think it was needed on the old undercoating that I didn't take off either. Figured I would just go over it with something else along the lines of under coating. Interior seams will all be re-sealed too. 

Still kicking around paint options. I am not sure if I want to just single stage it or do a 2 stage with clear. I think it will look much nicer with a 2 stage paint job, but I'm afraid my painting skills may not be up to it. 
The single stage acrylic that I have a sample of is 250.00 a gallon. Ouch
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 6:33am
The thing about base/clear is it's a lot easier to spray. Or rather it's easier to fix things like runs in the clear.

I used both -- a single stage inside, door jambs, and under hood which I sprayed myself. Used the same color in base/clear for the outside, but let a body shop spray it -- I just sprayed the primer, shop looked it over and told me what spots needed more work. His helper went over it with me (both of us working on it) for a couple hours fixing those spots he didn't like with a pro rattle can prier where touch-ups were necessary.

At least put some paint under the roof. It CAN draw moisture and rust. I'd throw a coat of primer on too, just don't worry so much about sanding and making smooth since it will be covered -- just enough for paint to stick.

Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 9:32am
Thanks Frank..!!!
Oh, it's got paint on it. It's white epoxy primer. I was having such a hard time with everything that night, I didn't really want to mess with it then. It will get some primer on it the next time I can get things ready for another shoot. And you are right, it did draw moisture at some point and the inside of the roof did have some surface rust. 
Part of the problem is that I can not flip the car in the garage. I have to push the car out then flip it over. With wet paint and a gravel driveway, I didn't think it'd be a good idea. 
I can remember sanding the inside of the roof with my D.A. and some 80 grit. It was like a big a$$ed drum. My neighbors love me...!!!  Confused
And by the looks of this, the inside of the roof didn't have paint on it from the factory. Look in the corner where there is factory paint. There is no rust where that little corner of paint is. 

Found out last night that the paint that I have chosen, isn't the easiest to spray either. From what little I have done with a rattle can, (motor and small parts) I already knew that... Big smile
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2018 at 5:40pm

So after a slight delay in things. We are back in business again. 
Back last fall I had epoxy primed the doors and the hood. Had I known at the time I would have and should of shot it with 2K primer, but live and learn. Just made more work for myself, but it's all good. 
While waiting on things to arrive and get put together I used the time to install a Lakewood Scatter shield on the 401. Completely clean out the garage/shop. And, I didn't like the body work that I had done on the quarter panels, so I stripped off most of what I had done prior and re worked a few things. Confused
Still playing with a new paint gun and working out a few bugs, but things are moving along. 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2018 at 11:15am
Now we are back in one solid color for a short time anyways. 
Next step is to hang the doors and the fenders and check the gaps and body lines. Confused I still have the torque links holes to find so that means I still have to hang the rear end also. Ouch
There are a few rough spots but nothing that a little scotch bright wont take care of and I am happy with the results. Big smile

The battles continue and so does the saga...!!! LOL..!!! 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 101>
  Share Topic