TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 3:59pm
Learning something new every day Frank...!!!
Either is metal work, fabrication, paint, body work but most of all... patience.  Big smile
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2018 at 12:17am
Very nice work
I enjoyed the read
I'm hoping I can get started on my orange gremlin this year
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2018 at 1:05am
Thank you Steve..!!! 

I sure wanted to use clean fresh metal on this. And I did where I could, but you do what you can with what you have and the knowledge that you posses at the time. I think with a little guidance, there's nothing that I can't learn to do. 
I cut out all the junk from before and started over fresh. 
Separating the 2 panels from each other was the hardest part of this, so I won't bore you with that part. There was rust that needed to be addressed between them. But it wasn't as bad as I expected. 

Light skim coat and we should be good to go...
Now we go on to the next adventure...!!! Big smile

My Girl took some cool pics last night... 

rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2018 at 1:09am
That's some nice looking metal work in my book.  Car will turn out great if you keep putting that level of attention to detail into it. Thumbs Up
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 1:32pm
Thank you Rob... I appreciate that...!!! Big smile

Filled up the very last thing on the body the other night. 
I used to have a C.B. ball attached to the left rear quarter panel. Put it on many years ago with my Dad. Dad was into hamm radio for quite a few years and he helped me drill the massive hole and install it. 
Of course at the time, we thought it was cooler then a tall drink of water back then. (Mid 80's) 
But not so cool today. I was torn between the fact that this was something that my Dad and I did when I was way younger and something that we did together as a Father/Son project. 
Sorry Dad, it had to go. 

(HATE MY WELDER but it works. Just makes more work then what it would be with a clean welder) Ouch
And to top it all off, I think I warped the panel just below where this hole was. I didn't feel it before I started and I was ever so careful to not try to warp the panel. Used a cool wet cloth to keep the heat down, only did very small spot welds, but it is what it is I guess. The object is to have as little mud on this as possible. I've got some help on the way for this little problem or maybe it's just me being the "over perfectionist" but I will look into it after I get another opinion. 
Maybe that's just the way the panel is just in that spot...???

The past day or 2 I've been "feeling" these quarter panels and all over the shell of the car, looking and feeling for anything that I might of missed. And of course there is always something that I missed that needs some attention. Had a few door dings and a few spots that needed some help... 

These are 2 of the 3 spots that I found. Kind of figured out that if there is a low spot that still has some original paint left in it, then they need a fill. 

Ok... back at the sanding.. hoping to have this done today... 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 7:42pm
Looking good !! Nice work..

B.P.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 1:06am
Its fresh...!!! Big smile
Between the fly's, the heat, miss reading my mixing cup, plugged up sprayers, it was a fun day today. 
The epoxy primer went on fine this morning. But, when the heat came up today and the garage got hot. I found out that you cut the hardner down by half and add a little bit of reducer. 
Now we get to celebrate my Mom's birthday tomorrow. She will be 78 and she's still kicking rump...!!! 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 6:01am
Awesome job so far! Glad to see it in primer after all of your hard work. Now just a few hundred more hours of sanding and she’ll be ready for paint!
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 11:13am
Thanks Sean...!!!
I just went out and checked on things. 
It was hot here yesterday, in the lower 90's but the humidity was low. 
The primer is really rough and I am afraid that I didn't use enough hardner in the primer. 
I had to cut the amount of hardner down to about half and added a little bit of reducer. Paint was hardening before I could even get it sprayed on the car. 
In other words, it might be messed up and I may have to do it all over again. 
So, lets add another 100 hours... or so. Ouch

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 11:51am
Just my opinion but epoxy primer is very forgiving.  As long as you have a clean substrate, you are pretty much guaranteed of getting good adhesion and that is what you want.  A rough surface should not matter because other layers are going over it.  If you are really picky you can scuff it with red scotchbrite and give it another coat.   Keep at it.  You will get 'er done.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 101>
  Share Topic