TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 9:58pm
Dave...
I read that the problem with the optical sensors is that they can get dirty. When they get dirt and dust on them... well you already know.
Petronix does make a electronic kit for the Mallory dist.

Here is what I found out about Mallory... it was purchased by MSD.

In January of 2015, MSD Performance purchased the ACCEL Performance Group. The MSDP Group, a global leader in vehicle aftermarket performance ignition and tuning technology, made the decision to merge the top two companies in the automotive ignition industry worldwide—MSD and Mallory. Mallory will no longer manufacture its product line after March 31st. However, MSD will produce and service Mallory distributor replacement parts such as caps, rotors, points, and nearly 100 other items.

MSD will continue to offer the Mallory fuel products by transitioning to the MSD brand of products. Additionally, MSD will offer the repair of Mallory products and will honor all existing warranties. Beginning April 1, all Customer Service or Technical calls will be routed to El Paso through our toll free number, 800-246-0270.

Kind of a big bummer...
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
R/W/B View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote R/W/B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 10:02pm
Hi,
I think you are going to have a real terror on your hands after the bugs are worked out. I would like to comment on the red pressure relief spring in your oil pump. A while ago I built a 360, installed the red spring instead of the factory spring also. On my motors first fire up, she built over a 100 pounds pressure, blew the sealing ring off the filter. Yea, no kidding!!! Tried it again with fresh filter,same thing. I finally had to put the factory original spring back in the oil pump. All has been good since.     If this happens to you, youll know what to do.    Just saying from my experiences with this--------Bill
R/W/B Machine
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2015 at 7:32am
Thanks Bill...
I will keep that in mind when I get this dropped in and fired up. If it happens, I'll know why!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2015 at 2:45pm
Played with some parts today, while I had the chance to...

This is what I started with...

Ground off the old ball joint rivets and got rid of those. Soaked everything well in the part washer tank. Used wire wheel to get most of the crud off. Solvent does wonders to old undercoating!
Now that everything is apart and at the sandblasting place to get all that rust and the rest of icky stuff off. Bushings have been pressed out and that was a lot of fun! Watched a youtube video using a ball joint press. Does anyone know what P.I.T.A. stand for??
Ordered Moog rubber bushings for both the upper and lower control arms. Decided to stay away from the poly bushings for them. But I did order up some poly spring perch bushings and we will see how the installation of those go.
Should have everything back from the blaster by tomorrow and get some epoxy primer on the control arms. Everything will be a chassis black.
Oh ya... these are going to be Kelsey Hayes single piston calipers.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2015 at 3:16pm
FYI, when you press those inner LCA bushings in, make a spacer out of a piece of exhaust tubing (or whatever you can find) to insert between the sides of the LCA so they don't get bent while pressing the bushing in. In your second picture, the LCA looks like an upside down "U" when viewed from the end. You don't want to smash that "U" flat is what I'm trying to say.
Pain
In
The
A$$ LOL

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2015 at 4:11pm
Since the Gremlin was replaced  by the Spirit, the cars are pretty close. Back in the '90s I put a '79 304 with Edelbrock manifold and 500 carb in an '83 Spirit GT and the car was really fast. I also put a locker kit in the model 20 rear. So now when I stood on it it lit both tires equally. So a Gremlin with a warmed over 304 would be a very potent little machine.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2015 at 11:33am
I used a pair of large flat screw drivers and just jammed them in. Used the edge of the screw drivers as support so that I wouldn't crush them when I removed the old bushings and retainers. It was kind of a P.I.T.A. but it worked. Probably going to have to use something different when it comes time to push the new ones in tho...
My Mopar friend that lives down the street from my Mom, (Mom's is where everything is) suggested boxing the lower control arms. Sounds like a good idea and he's just the guy to do it too. He reminds me of that Mark Worman from Graveyard Cars. He can give you what a car came with, what options from just reading the vin tag. All of it from off the top of his head! And it doesn't matter what Mopar it is either.
Mr. Ed...
I have a twin grip with 3:54's. 72 Gremlin torque links, and a BW T-10 close ratio. Just hope I don't pop out my side windows!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2015 at 2:41pm
Touch of grey...

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2015 at 2:57pm
looking great william!
AMO Newsletter Editor
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2015 at 1:20pm
Blackened....

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 101>
  Share Topic