TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2017 at 4:46pm
Never fails...
I think I find a nice piece to this puzzle and U.S.P.S. smashed the package and broke it...
The person I got it from offered to refund my money, but I said it was fine. Just something else I have to fix...
Rear glass is over at the window tint place. I won't get that back till later this evening. Guy was nice enough to add it to his pile of work.
Still up in the air about the gasket that goes around the window and attaches the window trim. Did some running around today. Couldn't find what I was looking for. That's the way it goes in my home town. Try to support the local economy, and there is nothing to be found. Got a few ideas. One is urethane and the other is glass setting tape which I believe was what was original. Ask about either rubber setting tape or glass setting tape and people look at you like... DUH...?!?!?!
I have another option and that is to make my own gasket out of right stuff. The only problem with that is I don't know if it will stick to the glass and to the stainless window trim. Glass shop guy said to use a little primer in the channel to make sure the trim actually sticks.
Anyways...
Here's a few pics of my busted up junk...

Thank you U.S.P.S. AKA: United States Package Smasher's...  Ouch
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 5:27pm
I ended up using right stuff on the back window. We will see if it holds up over time I guess.
I laid a pretty good bead in the trim channel.

I then used a flat screw driver that was really close to the width of channel and smoothed it out.

I let that set up completely. I was able to dry fit the frame with out worrying about making a big mess this way. The dried gasket material kept from scratching things up and I had to work one of the pieces so that it would fit the window better.
Still had to use some tape and a few other objects to hold the frame. Not only hold the frame together but to also hold the frame to the glass while everything dries up...

Sorry.. no pics of the assembly.. it was quite the job to do this, kind of messy and rather stressful. I wouldn't want to do this job again. I just hope the goop works as I used plenty of the stuff.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 2:07am
Came out pretty nice. I think I could of used a little more right stuff in a couple of places, but I am happy with the results. All the mounting brackets got a nice blast and fresh coat of paint. The "buttons" on the outside were done in gloss black and a couple of coats of clear. N.O.S. gaskets and hand cut rubber from an old truck tube will hopefully keep it all in place.
There has to be a special tool that AMC used at the factory to install these "buttons" to get them tight. The ends are a square head and there isn't a tool in my pile that fits. Metric or standard. I'll worry about that when I get to install everything. The tint is 15%.
The spring shocks that hold the window are made of nice soft aluminum and they will polish up quite nicely. Found that out by mistake by just cleaning them with a piece of scotch brite. I'll finish them up in the morning.

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 6:28am
The back glass looks great. Thanks for posting this. I've wondered what I would use to reinstall the frame on mine. I had considered using windshield glue, silicone, and even bathtub caulking. Let us know how the Right Stuff cures and holds.

As far as the "buttons", I have an old set of small Craftsman ignition wrenches. The 5/32 open end fit and worked great.  
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 7:32am
Thanks for the tip and the reminder. I have a set around here, or I used to have. They might of got lifted when my storage shed was broke into by crack heads.
Anyways, it has been hot and I felt like warmed over dog turds all day yesterday, so I didn't get a lot done. Got the back window spring shocks all cleaned up then polished them up. Clear kind of took a little bit of the shine off, but I still think they'll look cool.

They aren't actually black, but more like an O.D. green once I got all the old ick off. I was going to repaint the upper part flat black until I realized how soft the actual aluminum is underneath. Just a light sand with an old piece of 220 then a quick sisal buff.

Had to figure out a new rubber bushing that goes between the brackets. Piece of rubber hose cut to length and that part was figured out easily enough.

They are kind of tight, but I figure once the new paint wears off and the rubber gets a little worn, it'll work just fine.

And so far right stuff seems to be holding everything together. I have seen no separation from the frame or the glass. My local glass shop said to use urethane. Read the back of a can of Right Stuff and it doesn't list really what it is, but I think that it is a form of urethane. (just a guess) I may try to fill in few of the spots on the outside of the glass that I think didn't get enough. There is a space between the frame and the glass on a few spots. I really think that those need to be filled so that water and dirt don't get stuck in between.
Still have drivers side glass to finish polishing as well as the quarter windows. Be next week before I can get those over to the tint shop. Then to tackle the head liner as it needs some cleaning and attention too.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 9:09am
I located, after much searching, NOS bushings for the struts on my 71 gremlin. I was pretty amazed when they showed and were literally rubber hose cut to length in the original AMC packaging!
AMO Newsletter Editor
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 4:07pm
I got about 8 inches for free at the local parts store.
I also got a free piece of old truck tube to make new gaskets with.
It's amazing what people will do if you tell them you are working on an old car... LOL
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
amc78concord View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amc78concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 1:09pm
Just read through your entire build thread.  What a great write up and story...I have no words!  Please keep sharing!
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2017 at 3:12pm
This has been fun...
Been working on the hood that I got to replace the one that I screwed up. It was screwed up to begin with and I am pretty lucky to get this one in as good as shape as it is in.

AMC quality control here on the front of the hood. Not very straight to say the least. This hood is from a 74 and the only difference that I can find is the emblem is different. And these ones are crooked as all get out... 

Little bit more grinding, sanding and a little bit of "all metal" (its a type of bondo) and these should be gone. Once I got the front edge sanded down and got the rust off, it had some serious rust pitting. I didn't think that just primer would cover them so they all got a good coat of all metal and a light coating of regular bondo. And trying to save the body line on the very front of the hood wasn't fun either. But I think I did a pretty good job by not taking it out... 

This was worse then what I thought it was on the underside. Lot of surface rust and a lot of sanding to try to get it down. I used a product called Rust Prep, smells an awful like muriatic acid. I sanded all that I could reach with 80 grit then sprayed and then brushed on Rust Prep. Turned all the rust black and where it was black, I ended up sanding most of it off and reapplying more of the Rust Prep. Kind of a waste of product, but I want to make sure that it doesn't come back and rust from the inside. Thought about having it sand blasted, but cost factors and not wanting to warp this hood kept me from blasting it. 

Made a few plugs today for the passenger side door. Hardest part was trying to get the plugs small enough to fit. Thought that these holes that I put in the door years ago, for a mirror, were too big to just weld up. So I made a couple of plugs from some scraps and used a stud gun. 

And you don't need to tell me about welding in a pair of sandals either. I didn't... 

I used a cold wet towel to try to keep things cool and took my time. I didn't want to warp things like I did with the last hood. 

Little bit of work and these will soon disappear... 

Also gonna have to do something different when I have to sand stuff down. What a mess...!!! Figured I would put some plastic sheeting up and make a make shift sanding booth/paint booth. I will be able to primer and paint the smaller stuff in my small garage, but when it comes time to do the car I am going to have to purchase one of those temp. garages and use my drive way to do the car for final paint. 
If anyone hasn't figured it out by now, I am doing this all by myself. Can't find a body shop in my home town to paint my car, then I will do it myself. Wink
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2017 at 2:47pm
Made me a makeshift sanding/paint booth. Just hung up some plastic sheeting on the rafter shelving.
Works and keeps the dust mostly on me, in the booth and in one area. 

Finally finished the outside of the passenger door I think... It's as smooth as a baby's butt. I want to shoot it with primer to see how bad my work really is...  LOL..!!! 
Purchased a couple of used paint guns off of eBay. They are still really clean and I think that they will work good enough for some epoxy primer. As soon as I get the other door done, I will paint both doors and the hood at the same time. That's the plan anyways... 

Finally tried to do some body work on the drivers side rocker panel. 
And I've kind of got myself stuck... 
Anyone have any ideas on how to pull this dent out of my rocker panel...??? 

Buddy loaned me a stud gun and I've been able to get most of it pulled out. Does anyone make like a clamp so I could put a slide hammer on and pull the rest of this out...??? I don't really want to have to drill holes and have to weld up the holes. I thought about trying to make one out of an old pair of vise grips. Any ideas because the other side is worse then this one was/is. The sucky thing is, this dent is right where the drain hole for the rocker panel is. I don't want to pull anymore closest to the edge, it's the inner part that I am having the problem with and the lower seam where they come together. 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 101>
  Share Topic