TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 4:26pm
I recommend some of those 3M stripper wheels if you want to get to bare metal quick, and they don't scuff up the metal badly either.  In fact you might need to lightly hit the bare metal with 80 grit to give it some tooth.  But progress is progress.  Enjoy it.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

I recommend some of those 3M stripper wheels if you want to get to bare metal quick, and they don't scuff up the metal badly either.  In fact you might need to lightly hit the bare metal with 80 grit to give it some tooth.  But progress is progress.  Enjoy it.  Joe

Thanks Joe and Ian...!!!
I've got a couple around here somewhere and it'd be an awful lot easier if I could find them...!!! LOL!!!
I've been using 80 grit just to get the old primer off. It was terribly thick in some spots. Bet you I used at least 2 cases of primer when I painted this poor car. Ouch Even my paint guy came by the other night and said it was coming along well and he was really surprised to find out that I was using 80 grit. (He did recommended using like 180 0r 220 when I do the fenders though) I've found a little surface rust where the gas tank goes, so that's on todays project list. I use a cupped wire brush on an angle grinder to get the most of the dirt and old under coating off, then hit it with a rag soaked in either paint thinner or acetone to help get the rest of the left overs off. Its a long process and there are times that I wished I had a blaster. But, do to the cost and not having a reputable place to take it here in my home town, I am kind of stuck doing things the "old fashioned" way.
I am fine with doing it the hard way. That way I know its done and done to the best of my ability. Big smile

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 7:46pm
Not too much to report on things. Some things are on hold as I have to yard out some of the work that I can't do. Kind of sucks when you want to start to get things done and accomplished, and I have to wait on others.
So, in the mean time I made a sending unit for the tank. I have a N.O.S. sending unit, but it's only 5/16 inch. Worked great for the 6 cylinder but I personally think that 3/8" will help feed the 401 a little better.

Pretty easy to do. Purchased an unused repop one for 71-74 Javelin from a member for cheap last year.
Cut off the end of the tube and when I ground it down on the grinder, the solder let go when it got hot enough and then I was able to slide it off and out with out any problems. Used a few hand files to get things the right size for the larger tube, bent up some 3/8" and a little (LOL) solder.
Not the prettiest, but I am not too concerned about looks. Just suck more fuel.

And... oops... gas gauge will read full when empty and empty when full...

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2017 at 11:15pm
I call them "smalls"...
All the little things that have to be done, and I have buckets of it...!!!

Everything is either matte black or flat black. Some things are just primer as those will be painted body color. When and if I get that far...
Actually found some paint that sticks to plastic and doesn't "fish eye".
Weather is supposed to be nice the next 3 days and I am hoping to get the dash sanded down and hopefully I can get that out of the way.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2017 at 9:57pm

Finally get to put some NOS parts that I've had for years in there perspective place.
Gauge cluster, clock, and fasten seat belt light. The seat belt light was one of the very first parts I purchased in either 03 or 04. The bezel came out of 72 Hornet SST as did the dash and frame. I used the chrome knobs and will be using the heater controls from the same car.
Finished the dash the other day...

Big shout out to the member's here who have helped with parts, advice and support.

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
bubbarules1958 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbarules1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2017 at 2:34am
Looking good.
patrec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 1:09am
Nice restoration, Im jealous of your rotisserie. I was doing the stripping on my javelin with the clean and strip pads. Found someone that does dustless blasting in my area and had them do it. 5 hours and three beers drank, it was worth every penny to have it done.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 7:27am
I'm jealous because you got to use a blaster... LOL...!!!
I've really thought about it, but there isn't anyone here in my home town that does that sort of thing. Guess that'd be a good gig here if there would be enough business.
The only sand blaster that we have here is down at the powder coating place. I wouldn't trust them to blast this particular car. I am afraid that I wouldn't have a straight panel left. Ouch

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 8:12am
I commend your wisdom of removing your dash shell to work on your dash...I have spent the last few days changing the pad on my 70 Gremlin and those two outside screws up in those blind corners are tough and involve lots of nicks, scrapes, punctures, and other injuries...Lots of sharp pointy stuff in there. I also, after hours of flustration discovered that most cluster and glove box surrounds have 4 top screw holes...Not so in 1970, only 3 screw holes...its hard to get screw to go into non existant holes...Hope to finish that up today and move on to something easier to reach....Bob in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 5:29pm
Thank you Bob and everyone else for the kind words...
I greatly appreciate them.
Started the other day on windshield trim. It was actually in pretty good shape. Didn't have any dings or dents, just looked like ick..
This is one piece that I started with. Water stained and a few small scratches in it.

After a good cleaning in the good old solvent tank and getting all the stuck on windshield gasket junk off of it, I wet sanded them all with 400. Then 600, then 1000 and finished wet sanding with 1500 grit sand paper. Then off to the buffing machine. My buffing machine isn't the best thing in the world, but it works. I actually got it for free at a estate sale. All it is, is an electric motor that is bolted to a board and then I C-clamp it to the end of one of my benches. It was actually used to polish rocks, so I didn't have to do any real modifications to it for my purposes.
I did have to purchase some buffing pads and a few sisal pads and some compound. I use 3 different compounds and 3 different buffing wheels. I don't think that it really spins fast enough, so it takes a little more time.
This is what the same piece looks like after sanding and just a sisal buff...

And here is the final product after about 7 hours of labor for all 5 pieces...  

Stainless steel is a very hard metal as we probably all know and it can be a real pain to polish. I do have some very-very tiny, fine scratches that I couldn't get out. I probably could if I had spent more time on them but they look good enough for me and that's all that matters...
Probably saved myself a good chunk of changed doing this myself. The last time I worked in a plating shop, the hourly rate was about 40 bucks an hour for polishing. That was back in the early 90's so I imagine that price has gone up quite a bit.
Now to go clean up the mess. Wink
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 101>
  Share Topic