TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
    Posted: Oct/10/2015 at 9:37pm
Figured I'd start a build thread on my 1973 Gremlin.
This was my very first car that I ever purchased. I purchased it from my Grandmother (on Dads side) when I was home on leave from the service in 1984. Didn't do a lot to it for the first couple of years. Just drove the snot out of it. Used and abused it. The things that you did when you was younger.
After about 2 years it blew a head gasket and me being the dumb kid that I was thought that the motor had blown. Time for a rebuild.
Purchased a short block and after trial and error I finally had a pretty good runner. Clifford intake, and Clifford long tube headers. Went through a couple of carbs. Had a Carter 500 cfm for a while then went to the Holley 390 and that's what's on it to this day.
Went through a couple of rebuilds on the 904 and after the last one, I had enough. I wanted a true 4 speed. Found one at a local wrecking yard that was complete, except for the shifter. This was in 1988 or 89.
The cam went flat in 1990 or 91. I was living in Western Washington at the time and my other Grandmother, (Mom's side) was kind enough to keep it in her garage. It was there for many years and very well taken care of, by her. My Uncle trailered it home for me after she passed. He wanted to purchase it, but I said no deal as this car does have some meaning to me. Raised a lot of he!! and got myself into some trouble with this car.

I will update this thread with the motor build as that's where I have started.
Thanks for reading.
William

Edited by BrotherBamc - Feb/02/2016 at 4:26pm
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2015 at 11:08pm
Motor Build...

I was going to build a 360 for it. Purchased a partial engine kit off of eBay and I am glad that I did. Had most of the parts that I needed for the heads to be rebuilt. Then I found a 401 on Craigslist. Didn't have the cash on hand, but I did have a nice set of stock wheels off of my Magnum AWD for sale. I had to drive about 3 hours to sell the wheels for the purchase price of the 401. Then drove another hour and purchased the 401 with the bucks that I got from selling the wheels. WIN-WIN!!

Drug this home almost a year ago...

Tore it down and found this...

RUSTICLES!! With some help from people here on the forums I was able to sand out most of the rust and get it completely torn down and taken to my local NAPA machine shop.
Refurbished the rods and installed ARP rod bolts. Sent the crank to Bruce Battles out of Grangeville Idaho and had the crank turned to 10/10. Once the crank was back from Bruce, I sent the whole rotating assembly to Spokane Washington and had it all balanced with in one gram. I had to have it re-balanced as I am going from an auto to a 4 speed.
We installed speed pro forged 27.5 dished pistons with moly rings. The block was also decked. Bearing are Clevitt 77 as those where original to the motor.

This is what I brought home from the machine shop...

I've been taking my time with this as I really don't want to screw things up and have to do things twice.

Installed a Delta cam in a Comp 280ish grind. Cloyes true street double roller, NOS fuel pump eccentric and oil shredder. Timing chain cover was still in excellent shape and just cleaned it up and reused it.
Purchased a match set of dizzy gears from a forum member here as the original was rather shot and I wasn't going to take a chance with a screwed up set of gears.

The heads are a set of 993's that I once again purchased off of Craigslist for 50 bucks. They were stripped, shot peened, then new valves, valve guides, comp springs and retainers. The seats where like new so those where not replaced. The heads had been gone through once before and that was the of the reasons why I purchased these particular heads. Plus I didn't want to have to spend the extra coin on having the 502's that came with the motor machined for rollers.

Installed the heads and timing cover. Oil pump is a new melling with red spring.

Next update is paint and final assembly..
Thanks for reading!
William

Edited by BrotherBamc - Oct/10/2015 at 11:45pm
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 12:19am
Paint....

I kicked this around for a while before I made up my mind on what color I was going to paint the block and heads and all the attaching hardware. I know that it's suppose to be poly blue, but personally I don't care for that color. I decided on a one year only color for my 401 and that was caravel blue.

Small parts got a good coat also...

After paint I installed a Romac balancer that I clear coated.

I purchased these Comp Cams roller rockers and a set of ARP studs The rockers are a 1.6 ratio. Geometry was perfect out of the box and these were fairly inexpensive as far as rollers go.

Torker intake was next along with valley oil line.

I've done some small things lately. Took some time to do this.

I think I could of done a little bit better, but I was afraid that I'd make a big mess out of it, so I stopped.

Edelbrock valve covers I painted to match the motor. Little tape, paper and some time...

And this is what I have now...

Distributor is a Mallory dual point that I am converting to E-spark. Carb is a Holley 750 double pump. Water neck is from Robbmc and not shown is a Bulltear oil filler tube and breather cap. Still working on a few odds and ends. Fuel line from pump to carb. Spark plug wires and spark plugs.
Been working on the front brakes and front suspension. Swapping out the cross member when I drop this bad boy in, so everything is coming out and being replaced. Disc brakes are from a Matador Coupe that I parted years ago and are Kelsey Hayes.
Thanks for reading!
William

Edited by BrotherBamc - Oct/11/2015 at 9:27pm
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Rogerschro View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rogerschro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 4:44am
Thanks for sharing!  Keep it up and show your work on the rest of the car. I am restoring a '74 Gremlin and will be looking for a 304/360 to put in it. Nice to have more inspiration. I have rebuilt a few motors from Ford and enjoy it. I actually enjoy all the work (after I am done with it!) on the cars. therapy I guess!  

Roger
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 10:33am
Looking good!   I like the color scheme.   
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 12:38pm
Quote Distributor is a Mallory dual point that I am converting to E-spark.
Nice job on the motor I like the personal touches you have added.

On the Mollory dist. what is this "e-spark" you talk of? Do you have a link to a web site with it and/or part number?
Years ago Mallory made a kit (no longer made) and have it in one of my dist. in a car and works great. My street car project is still running the duel point and has always fired right up. Thing is I don't know if or how long I can get points for it and thinking if I need to replace the point I would swap for electronic setup.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 2:39pm
Thanks Guys...
I appreciate the comments!
Dave...
The e-spark is this...

I got it from Summit and the funny thing is that they no longer carry this particular part and in just a short time after I had ordered it too. I heard through the grapevine that Mallory was purchased by Accel..???
I think what I am going to do is leave the point system alone for now and when I get the motor broke in I will then convert it to the E-spark. That way I know that there will be no hick-ups. I will have to modify my 6 cyl. wiring harness anyways, and I'd feel a little bit safer knowing that the distributor is unmolested. Read through the instructions and from what I can tell, if everything isn't perfect it will fry the E-spark. And since apparently you can't seem to get them anymore, (through Summit) I'd be kind of screwed.
Here is the part number for the dizzy...
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 7:59pm
Man I had hi hopes and then you let me down
There was a post that Pertronix makes a setup that will fit the Mallory dist.
The Mallory kit in the other dist. is like the Pertronix, works off magnetic field and I like that were yours uses a light beam IIRC. I had that type in a Datsun 510 and had nothing but trouble with it. In that case I would stay with the points.

Thanks
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 9:28pm
William,
I have been following this thread and I have an honest to goodness serious question, not specifically about your Gremlin, but general Gremlin specifications.

First, I must say that I know "VERY" little about the Gremlin model, and I do not want to seem
sarcastic, but was the 401 offered as a factory option in the Gremlin?

Like I say, I know little about the Gremlin, but I always thought it was marketed as an economy model?

Thanks in advance for reply with a little Gremlin education my way.
Dickie

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2015 at 9:37pm
Hey Dickie...
The Gremlin was not offered from the factory with a 401. But Randall AMC, a dealer of Mesa Arizona did offer you one.
Here is a link...

http://gremlinx.com/randall-401-xr/

Good read and from what I have heard most if not all Gremlin 401 XR's went straight to the track. Very-very few are still around, if any at all. There was one on eBay about a month or so ago and the asking price was just 60 grand!!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 101>
  Share Topic