TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2020 at 8:27am
I got it out with out too many scrapes and chips...

Had to make a few tools...

If it wasn't for the cherry picker, I couldn't of done it...

Conclusion...
This sucked some serious A$$…!!!
Do not do one in a street car, maybe big bodied cars are different, I don't know. There isn't enough room for removal if you have to get to the clutch for any reason. My hands look like they've been in a bar room brawl and my body feels like it too.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2020 at 4:09pm
DING-DING-DING-DING..!!! 
WE HAVE A WINNER..!!! 
Speaking of "dings".. some ding put the clutch plate in backwards. 
It was jammed in the recess of the flywheel.  
And I'm not going to put that scatter shield back in either. 
This is a street car and not a race car. 
Next one will be a race car. That's if I ever get this one done. Ouch
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2020 at 6:22pm
Good on ya for figgering it out.  What a pain.

Since my collection of junk has mostly been Hornets and Gremlins (small-body cars) I have this collection of about 9, 3/8"-drive, 10-inch long extensions. Snap a half dozen of them together, and, with the trans. cross member out and the back of the engine sagging down;  you can use this collection of tools to get up into the trans. tunnel and undo all the bolts.  All the extensions move the ratchet way back and down so you have enough room to swing it or, use a cordless impact.  It's a pain, but the bolts cannot be reached from the top like the big body cars.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2020 at 1:26pm
Yes.. This has been quite the pain. A simple mistake that has cost me.
I was able to get to the very top bolts from under, but I had to break them free from the top. If you notice the socket, I had to grind it down quite a bit to get on to those top 2 bolts out. If I had known, I would of used a smaller headed bolt. What happened is that the top 2 bolts were too close to the scatter shield and I was unable to get any normal socket on them. As where a couple of other bolts on the side.
The wrenches that I had to heat and bend were used to get the top 2 bolts broke loose. Had to drop the passenger side header down and out of the way to get to one bolt. Ruined my Remflex gasket and had to purchase a couple more. They say that you can reuse them, but not in my case. When I dropped the header out of the way, part of the gasket was stuck and came with the header. I couldn't drop the back of the motor too far or it would of damaged the paint on the firewall so that made things a little more tight.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 5:20am
The alignment dowels should be on the engine, not on the bell. But if those holes aren't right, things won't work. Of course it was the backwards clutch disc that caused your problem, so it's a moot point. As you say, you're not going to be doing any 5000 rpm launches, so the factory bell should be fine. I've seen people use allen headed bolts with a scatter shield (and maybe the top bolts even with a factory bell), now I know why!
Frank Swygert
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 12:56pm
It seems possible to use a hole saw(1"-2") to make access holes in the floor hump under the dash to reach the BH bolts. I have made access holes in other brand cars to reach bolt heads. My 57 BelAir has a factory cover plate that exposes the BH bolts that came in handy when I installed a TKO600. I then used a Browell BH alignment tool to make sure the the crankshaft was inline with the TKO input shaft. The Browell only tells you if the concentric alignment is good to go. It will not tell you what offset dowells are required to align. Easier to use than a dial indicator while under a car but not as thorough. See photos
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2020 at 8:27pm
Haven't done a lot lately to this, but I have been slowly putting things back together. Work has finally picked back up and haven't made a lot of time for this.
I did end up putting the scatter shield back on. I may of just ended up shooting myself in the foot... Again.. I guess we will see. I've got this down now, but the big bummer is the right side header and starter.
After putting the scatter shield back on, I bolted in the starter. Bolted up the header with a new Remflex gasket, I then proceeded to put the number 8 tube in. For the life of me I couldn't get it to fit..!! I spent hours trying to figure out what was going on. I remember when I took out the number 8 tube that the starter was just laying on the header. And that's how it has to go back in. Place the starter on the header, install the number 8 tube and then install the starter. Carb is back on and fuel lines all re-attached. Clutch linkage is all installed after spending part of the day looking for grease. I like to use Lucas Red Sticky #2. Do you think I could find it in a tub...??? Nope, had to purchase a tube. And you wonder why small business's cry about Amazon and internet purchases. 80% of the time if I can't find it in my home town, I order what I need from Amazon or some other internet provider. And yes, I asked my local parts store if they could order me a tub. NOPE..!! They don't sell enough of that to warrant buying a case and having to leave it on the shelf for months at a time. I'll have everything back together this Sunday and then maybe I can get it to move under it's own power.
I've also thought of changing the name of this thread from "The Demise of Sanity" to "Trials and Tribulations".
And I appreciate all the support and help.
Thank you...
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2020 at 9:34am
You get through this and be driving soon. Did you get your steering gear figured out. I still have one for you. 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2020 at 9:22am
Originally posted by BMOgremlin BMOgremlin wrote:

You get through this and be driving soon. Did you get your steering gear figured out. I still have one for you. 

Yes I have found one BMO..
I appreciate the offer though. Greatly appreciated.!
Found a N.O.S. on eBay last week. It's actually a dealer take off that someone wanted power steering instead of manual. New steering box should be hear by the end of the week.
Nothing to report on though. Car is still on jack stands, but I did put the radiator back in yesterday and hook everything back up.
Waiting on the Government to give me back some money so I can get this thing "done".
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2020 at 4:49pm
At what point do we really consider our projects as "done" since there's always something we WANT to do instead of what we NEED to do. Approve

You're doing just fine. Keep at it and you'll be on the road before long showing off your fine ride.....

Rick
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 101>
  Share Topic