TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 76777879>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2020 at 11:03am
The flywheel in my AMX used to get stuck as you describe. With the AMX pointed down a clear driveway, I would start the AMX in gear and the starter would "drive" the AMX in gear a few feet down the driveway at which time I would jamb on the brakes. In my case, this usually released the stuck clutch.
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead
38 Ford Coupe 85 hp V8 flathead
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
72 El Camino
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2001,2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Car Trailer
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2020 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

The flywheel in my AMX used to get stuck as you describe. With the AMX pointed down a clear driveway, I would start the AMX in gear and the starter would "drive" the AMX in gear a few feet down the driveway at which time I would jamb on the brakes. In my case, this usually released the stuck clutch.

Thanks..!!
Wish it was that easy...
Just tried the "extreme" way. Hooked a full sized pick up and a couple of straps.
Gave a few tugs on it and all it did was make skid marks...
Have to make some room so I have a place to put all the parts that will be coming off, then tear down is going to commence...

Hope you are doing better Pat...!!
73 Gremlin
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2020 at 4:03pm
  Had the same problem with my Hornet.  Turns out the pivot bolt that holds the ball in place was to short and would not let the clutch release.  Put the correct length pivot bolt in and my problem was solved.  Keep in mind this was on a stock bell housing.  Hoping that its that simple and easy to fix!!  Lee  
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2020 at 4:51pm
Well, to test if the input is too long for the hole in the crank you just have to loosen the trans to bell bolts and pry the trans back 1/8-1/4". Won't affect clutch operation, so push the clutch in and see if it rolls then. If not it's either the shaft binding on the pilot bushing or the clutch fork pivot is too short. 
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 8:44am
Appreciate all the feed back..
Thanks..!!
Got everything apart yesterday. And the transmission is stuck and will not pull out. It is loose, but it's still... stuck like chuck.
I tried using a screw driver to get between the bell and the trans to see if I could pry it away a little bit and ended up bending the screw driver.
I have a very strong inclination that the pilot bushing is hung up on the input shaft. What worries me is that even IF I am able to get the something between the trans and the bell to pry it away, I might end up with a bigger problem as the input shaft might pull the pilot bushing out of the end of the crank. That in itself wouldn't be a big problem, except for the fact that I can't get the bell off unless I either pull the motor forward a couple of inches or completely pull everything back out.
That's the last thing I want to happen. Get the transmission loose and wanting to come out, but have the pilot bushing stuck on the end of the input shaft and not be able to pull the transmission out past the clutch plate.
73 Gremlin
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 11:30am
The nose of ths crank is substantially smaller than the splines clutch area. The pilot might pull through the clutch if stuck on the shaft...
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The nose of ths crank is substantially smaller than the splines clutch area. The pilot might pull through the clutch if stuck on the shaft...

The bushing is a little bit bigger then the hole in the clutch plate. Just went and looked at one of my other T-10's that I have. The pilot bearing isn't going to fit through the clutch plate.
73 Gremlin
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2020 at 2:56pm
Good news...
Got the transmission out and on the ground.
We used a couple of wooden wedges, a screwdriver and a bigger hammer.
How come sometimes, everything seems to come down to A BIGGER HAMMER..?!?!?!
The pilot bushing stayed in place and didn't come out with the input shaft.
The next step is to use some emery cloth on a hone and hone out the pilot bushing to clean it up a little bit. Clean up the end of the input shaft with some more emery cloth and to make sure that everything goes back in place properly.
73 Gremlin
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2020 at 2:56pm
That didn't work as planned.
Gonna have to bite the bullet and get that scatter shield off so I can get to everything.
Something isn't right somewhere.
Just have to find it.
73 Gremlin
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 9:55am
Got stuff figured out... or at least I think I do.. LOL
When I got this scatter shield and installed it, I guess I didn't do a good enough job at making it concentric.
There isn't any "dowels" that anyone makes say like for the other big three that help with the alignment.
In other words... I guess I wasn't smart enough to get it to work.
I am just going to take it off and install a OEM bellhousing and throw it on the pile for the next build.
73 Gremlin
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 76777879>
  Share Topic