TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 6:18am
The pins are part of the collapsible system, but the only issue you'll have if they are gone is that the shaft may slip out when installing or removing. Most are a snug fit -- especially after years of sitting in the same place. All they do is keep it from slipping while assembling. As long as there is enough overlap between the two shafts (you're only moving it about 1/4") you will be fine. If you go to pull the column later you might pull the shaft out, but simply put it back together.

I don't recall if my late 80s GM column had them or not. Hmm... it's a short column with an intermediate shaft, so it doesn't have pins in the column. I think the intermediate shaft did, though it has a sort of "leaf spring" tensioner inside... it may not have. I had to pull the shaft apart and shorten it about an inch to make it fit. I don't recall 100% if there was a plastic pin, but I think so... could be confusing with other column work though, I put that one in back in 2003...

Edited by farna - Oct/08/2019 at 6:21am
Frank Swygert
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 5:14pm
Well...
That isn't going to work. That shaft will not come out. I've used heat, PB blaster and everything that I could think of. Even drilled what was left of the pins out. If I go any farther I will break it.
Back to square one..
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 5:42pm
Depending on how much difference there is between the two the only other thing i can think of many try elongating the holes that hold the mount bracket on the column so that it slides up and down a bit. That might give you a little more play so it bolts up. 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 10:42pm
Sometimes, a bigger hammer isn't the cure...
Sometimes, it's a bigger torch...!!

And reading a few threads on steering columns..

We shall return to regular programing/battles in a few...
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 11:17pm
Awesome glad to see it did come apart. You will have it all back together in no time. For me when things wont come apart or go back together and i am at the point when i am gonna brake something its time to go in the house and relax for a spell. Come back out in a while and right apart. 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 1:50am

That's what I did.. kind of.
Walked away from it and found out why I couldn't get it apart. and how to get it apart.   
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2019 at 7:19am
Just a little rust there.... Well, after it's cleaned and has a little oil on it it will slip right back in! No need to sorry about the pins, but you could use a piece of wire or a cotter pin in one of them to keep it together if necessary. Would shear off easy enough in a wreck. 
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2019 at 1:17am
Just a little rust.
Back to normal AMC broadcasting materials...
Finished up the rag-joint and made a ground wire for it.

I couldn't find the right size crush washers in my wonderful hole in the ground town. See pics for reference..

The banjo joints that I got from Speedway came with aluminum and I just throw them in the trash. NAPA wanted 1.99 a piece and didn't have them in stock. Amazon prime, 20 for 9.99. I got mail this afternoon and finished the front brake lines tonight.

Hopefully we will have more progress tomorrow.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2019 at 2:30am
My friend Gary came over this morning and we stabbed the column in. The ground wire I had made was too big and didn't fit.
He then helped me bleed the front brakes. The new banjo fittings were the trick and the brakes are buttoned up and good to go.
I was trying to figure out a way to keep the fuel line off the top of the manifold. I used the bottom hole on the throttle bracket and ran a small spring through it. Used a piece of wire to hold the fuel line.

It works really well for now. We will see if I have to add a stronger spring when we add the weight of fuel. Went through and tightened all the fuel fittings and lines again.
Put in the last piece of the puzzle in the motor compartment. And that was a NOS V-8 throttle cable. It was one of the very first things that I had purchased for the car. That would of been around 2004 or so. Fit perfect and took me less then a minute to put on. Put the air cleaner back and I was all excited to hook things up under the dash and with the steering column.

Still wasn't done with the AMC drama with the steering column.
AMC must of changed the to a different plug for the turn signal switch. The one on the newer column wouldn't fit the plug from the main wiring harness. So, I had to rob Peter from Paul again.

The old plug is also a little bit shorter the newer one and the zip tie holds it pretty well.

Getting really close now to waking the beast out of it's slumber..

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2019 at 7:27am
On the steering column plug...I have seen in the past a adapter piece that goes between the two and make big into small or vise-versa...Its been a long time and don't remember exactly, but maybe someone who has been working on that area of another car will chime in with some more details on this... Maybe had something to do with tilt column or non tilt column.....Looking very nice...Bob
Thankyou....Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 101>
  Share Topic