TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2019 at 8:49am
More battles...!!!
And I haven't even started to get the front suspension in...
Been debating on what front coil springs to use.
I don't really want to cut down the springs. And, I'd like to do this just once.
I have a pair of V-8 Moog springs that are brand new. They seem to have a one more coil and are thicker (diameter) then the original 6 cylinder springs that came on the car. These are the only springs that I have for this and I am not very interested in having to purchase anything else.
I have drop plates that I will also be using. (1 5/8")
My understanding is that I will get a lot better weight transfer if I use the softer 6 cylinder springs, but I don't want so much drop that I can't get over an occasional speed bump and some of the roads here in "The Arm Pit" are kind of like the roads used to be, before they were paved.
Front wheels are AMC Turbo Cast II's (14x7) and the tires I'd like to run are 285x60x14's. If I have to go with a 70's series for clearance purposes but I would rather stick with the wider tires.
So, after all of this has been said...
What would you do...?? Which spring would you use...??
Appreciate any feedback.
Let the battles continue...!!!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 5:27am
Your best bet is to order springs from www.coilsprings.com. You can order V-9 size springs at I-6 rates if tyou want, but most V-8 springs are slightly shorter when loaded than I-6 -- at least in the 60s cars.

Just re-read your post. "...I am not very interested in purchasing anything else.". In that case, use the V-8 springs since you have drop plates. The six cylinder springs may be a little taller when unloaded even with one less coil, maybe not on 70s cars though. The six springs have a lower spring rate and will bounce more though. So if you lift the front end and come down hard the front will drop much faster. It will bounce more (longer travel) when you go over a speed bump too. With the lowering plates you don't want a real soft spring, not for street driving anyway.

Frank Swygert
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 9:40am
Thank you Frank...
V-8 springs it is... 
If I don't get the right ride height with the V-8 springs that I am wanting, then I might order a custom set. 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2019 at 10:02am
I was wondering why the rear crossmember wasn't wanting to bolt up easily like it should... After fighting it for a spell, I gave up and did a good look around..

Good thing it's only 4 bolts and everything was still set up to do this..

So, there was only really 2 ways to fix this...
Grind on the scatter shield where that spot rubbed or beat on things with a hammer...

You guessed it... Hammer Time..!!
Started off with a small hammer and a block of wood. Then it just turned into straight hammer time. When that wasn't getting the results that I needed, it was time for the 2 pounder. After a little bit of grinding and clean up...

It's all good... I guess....

And Bob...???
I can now put the wiper motor and plate in...

And the battles will continue...!!!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2019 at 10:07am
Keep those hammers handy...you may need them...Bob
Thankyou....Bob
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2019 at 1:03am
Not much of a battle tonight.
Opened up the package tonight. The envelope's date was 2006. It's a re-pop but it fit well…

So much easier. Thank you Bob for reminding me. Took less then 4 minutes.
Nothing went BOING...!!! Got lost or got scratched. I was even able to use the original clip. Fit like a glove. There will be some things attached before I slide it back under and bolt the motor and transmission back in.

Onwards to bigger battles..!!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2019 at 12:11am
After a weekend off due to a family yard sale, I was finally able to get back at this. It's been hot here, so progress has been a little slow.
Dug out my wiring harness's. The original and one that I purchased from someone from here or maybe it was facebook market, don't remember.. But, it is a V-8 harness from a small bodied car. As I was going through it, I noticed that there wasn't a wiper motor harness on it. I looked at the wiring diagrams in the TSM and looked where they should be on the back of the big plug in and sure enough, there never was a wiper harness on it at all. I was able to remove the 4 wires from the original one and install them into the V-8 harness.
So, it got me thinking just what could this harness be off of. It would have to be something with a vacuum wiper system. Anyone know when the last year for vacuum wipers was..??
Anyways, got everything cleaned up, fixed a few wires, re-wrapped everything and got it ready for install.
Installed a REM firewall pad. Only complaint was that the heater core cut out was way off, but other then that it's a nice product.

Heater box and dash harness installed...

And the blower motor...

I'll finish up the harness install in the morning while the garage is still cool.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2019 at 6:39am
1971 was the last year for vacuum wipers, standard on all except Javelin. The TSM doesn't specifically state that the 71 Javelin got electric only, but does state that the switch is a three position toggle switch, which indicates electric only. The wiper wiring was independent except for the brown power wire -- that was in the harness on all, even with vac wipers. It's just an accessory power lead.
Frank Swygert
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2019 at 7:14am
My guess is that harness is from a 1972 or older small bodied car..The wiper wires were part of the motor on those years and the connections were directly to the switch in the dash, and not made into the main wiring harness as was 73 and newer...Bob in Fort Payne
Thankyou....Bob
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2019 at 2:59pm
Ready to slide everything back under... I think...

Still waiting on some small stuff to arrive. It's getting to the part of the build where it's nothing but "nickel and dime".
And nickel and dime isn't nickel and dime anymore like it used to be.
Now it should just be 20 bucks...!!!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 101>
  Share Topic