TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 101>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 8:57am
Sure looks good BrotherBamc -love that color (one of my personal favorites)

Wow, and I sure like the upholstery work -looks sharp -creative too.

...seems like I always get a fly stuck in the paint (argh!)

...since you're already committed to repaint the bad spots, it wouldn't be too much extra work just to try to blend the runs in by detail sanding? Might get lucky? Can't get lucky if you don't try?

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 9:31am
The paint itself is fairly easy to work with. It does wet sand easily and blending is fairly easy..
I made the mistake of taking the car off the rotisserie and I think that I could of kept most of the dirt and junk off of it. 
It amazes me where it came from. Seems like no matter how much I clean and prep the dirt just seems to keep coming back. 
I'm more upset with myself then anything. Runs..?? Not a big deal. But the dirt just kind of ruined my day and my paint job..   LOL..!! 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 5:34am
Try misting the floor with water right before painting. Just a light mist. You can get a misting end with some pump garden sprayers, that would probably be easier than a water hose. Only $30-40 - might be well spent!
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Try misting the floor with water right before painting. Just a light mist. You can get a misting end with some pump garden sprayers, that would probably be easier than a water hose. Only $30-40 - might be well spent!

I like to use a mop and bucket Frank..
I get the water as hot as I possibly can and you'd be surprised at what you get up off of the floor. Dump it, then do it again. But, leave the water on the floor.
Got the car back on the rotisserie and spent the whole day yesterday cleaning out the filth and left over overspray that was everywhere. Still not done.
Should of done this a while ago.
Should of..
Could of..
Would of..
Meh..
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2019 at 6:19am
Well, you've been wetting the floor before painting! Should have known... but I'd rather tell you something you know than not say it and maybe you didn't...
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 12:15am
Just floating along...

I was really gun shy about the dirt. So I went and purchased a throw away paint suit from the local paint store. I was an XL and I should of had an 2X. It was a little short in the arms. But again, I was a little paranoid about dirt and crap getting in my paint. After spending 2 days of cleaning I wanted a something better then what I had. Cuz, it really sucked. So, I took every precaution that I could think of to keep the dirt out...
I put this one size too small paint suit on. Sopped the floor with the mop, turned on the fans, loaded the gun, put my mask on, did a test run with the gun..
We all be good to go...
FIRST PASS...!! FIRST FRIGGIN' PASS...!!! I couldn't believe it...!!!
As soon as I extended my arm to make the first pass, the one size too small paint suit pulled up my arm and dropped a big fat freekin' hair in my fresh paint...

And, when I bent over to pick something off the floor, the a$$ blew out..!!
I just laugh about it now, but it set the tone for the rest of the paint job on Sunday...
A few runs, and very minimal specks of dust.
Sanded the runs out this afternoon and the hair spot.. And this is what I have now...

So far I am ok with it. It's a "garage job". So, it is what it is. The roof has a few minor stripes that I can't seem to cover up. I am going to take a closer look at it in the morning and see what I can try to do with it. Besides put a couple coats of clear on it..
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 5:53am
Congrats on getting a better result than last time BrotherB! Now as long as you can get an "appropriate" sized paint suit, you should be good to go! I know the feeling (as i'm sure most of us do) of not having things go your way. Unfortunately, when it rains, it pours sometimes. But at least you can laugh about the suit getting ripped bending over after the fact. haha. Looking good!
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 7:49am
At least you can say.....I painted my car..... Its supposed to be a fun hobby, not a contest to see who can spend the most on a vehicle. My hats off to one who does.

I love ...busted knuckle driver........we should be a class onto ourselves at a car show. A mighty small class in itself I venture to say.

I do all I can myself but there comes a time when that is not possible and common sense prevails. The Fatman front end in my case was a bit to much. 

Some people don't have the facilities to work in either. 

BrotherB, you keep having AMC Fun, a good laugh lowers the blood pressure......I should follow my own advice at times....LOL

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 8:16am
Great stuff, BrotherB.  Your work and progress are awesome!  Thank you for posting your great work, even the trials and tribulations.  It inspires us and let's us know that it is fun, frustrating and real.  Not many of us can do what you have accomplished in your garage.  Tip of the cap to you!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 8:36am
Thanks Guys...
I thought to myself on Sunday night that it/I was "screwed again". I didn't want to have to spend another 2 days wet sanding again. You always seem to think the worse, then what the situation actually is. I believe that is just "human nature", or it is for me anyways.
Besides "the hair" and a few runs, it actually came out pretty good. But, that was after I had "cooled down" a bit and took a really good look at it.
Yeah, the metallic might be mottled in a few places and there might be a stripe or two, but it is what it is.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 101>
  Share Topic