TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 101>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 3:41pm
Speaking of your camper.......I was surprised on our vacation this year out west of the number of VW campers we saw. Seems as they are a hot ticket now. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 4:00pm
The smooth faced lens. Those are what came with the car from the factory.
From what the seller said about these is that these were replacements from the factory.
I really don't think anyone would notice unless you really knew that the originals were smooth faced.
I think that the factory made these because the smooth lens were prone to rock chips and cracking.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2018 at 4:06pm
Yes they are Ollie..!!
They have quite the cult following and are getting up in value now.
I seen one recently that wasn't near as good as shape as mine is. Had a pretty good rust hole in the side where the battery tray rests and not quite the interior of mine and they wanted 12,000 for it. It was also a year older then the one I have. Mine is a 79, the last year of this style and the other that I seen was a 78. Had a different layout in the back and not as much room as the one that I have.
Still a pretty cool VW camper tho..
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 7:53pm
Dragging home another 401 on Sunday. 
Couldn't pass this one up. From what the guy that is selling me the motor says it's a low mile original. He has it torn down to inspect, but says it's complete. I will bring my micrometer and we shall see. 
Always good to have a spare. Big smile

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2018 at 11:46pm
Scored me a S&W 4 point show bar cyber Monday, so I have to do a little interior design work...
Still need to drag out my seats and seat tracks.
Not too sure about the rear of the car yet, but I will figure out something.
Thought about tying the main hoop into the sub frame connectors, but I welded an 1/8" plate to the floor so the main hoop would have something flat to sit on. I really didn't want to cut the floor up any more then I already have.
Then made me some brackets to hold the hoop in place while I mock things up. Ratchet strap works well for squeezing the bottom of the main hoop to install in the brackets.
Headliner clearance is also still up in the air. I have trimmed an inch off the bottom for a little bit more room. May end up having to modify the headliner a little bit as well as the back of the rear seat. Still not sure how to clean it, paint it, put it in the car then do the welding that will need to be done.

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 11:50pm
Little bit more interior design work today.
I think they sit a little bit high. But they aren't really bolted down yet.
Still need a little bit more of work before I have to take them out, take them apart, paint the brackets and find a place to put them away. Looks like I'll be padding the main bar too. I still need to sit in the driver seat and see how it's going to be.

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2018 at 8:44am
[QUOTE=BrotherBamc].........
I think they sit a little bit high. But they aren't really bolted down yet. ..........

I have figured out a "rule of thumb" that works for me on the seat height. Measure from the lowest floor in front of the seat to the top of the seat cushion and if it is 12" you will have a very comfortable sitting seat. 

That is what The Rambler, my convertible, with the Chrysler Sebring seats and my Ford F-150 measure out. Wife's Ford Focus, with seats that will cripple you after 2 hours, measure 10".

When i got to the finial fitment of "The 69" seats they measured 12".

Just my $.02

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2018 at 9:04pm
Is this the measurement you are talking about Ollie..??
Sitting at just about 10 1/2".

I used a pair of stock seat tracks.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2018 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

..........Is this the measurement you are talking about Ollie..??
Sitting at just about 10 1/2". ...........

That's the measurement I am referring too. I would put some 1" blocks between the seat rails and floor.

To keep my seats level i had to put 1" on the out board front slider and 1 1/4" on the inboard slider.
The back to required 1 1/2" so the seat was not to learned back. I used some good oak wood.

One AMC story. I have a very good friend, Mr. Weaver. He was a AMC Dealer. He told me that when selling Concords some people would complain the front seats leaned back to far. They would place 1" wood blocks under the back of the seat bolts and the people would buy the car then. He told me he always used good oak. Its sure easier than welding up something. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2018 at 11:12pm
I will get the car on jack stands tomorrow night after work and sit in the driver's seat and see what it feels like.
Now I am curious about where a stock set of bucket seats would sit. Might have to see.
That's kind of the long term plan. Once I get the stock seats redone I want to replace these.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 101>
  Share Topic