TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2015 at 6:55pm
Thumbs Up

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2015 at 2:56pm
Didn't get a lot done this week.
Got a little more painting done.

Lowering plates got here this morning so into the solvent tank they went and got a quick scrub down. Then got a good coat of primer and then matte black.

Found a bell housing on craigslist last week. This bell came from an early CJ with a 304 and a T-15. I asked the seller if he could measure the depth of it and low and behold it's 8" deep! Took it down to my local NAPA machine shop and asked them to clean it up for me. Too big for my little solvent tank. He did a really nice job on cleaning it up and it was worth the 20 bucks to have them clean and bead blast it for me. Little bit of primer on it to start with.

I am going color match it to the 401.

Pulled back the skirt on the Gremlin today and took a few shots of the interior. Talk about a blast from my past!

And of course all the dumb stuff that I did to this poor car. At the time it was a cool place to mount my amp and equalizer. I am going to replace the whole dash with one that I was able to salvage from a Hornet about 8 years ago.
This is just the gages and if you can read the miles it was crushed at only 50,XXX!!

Did these dash parts get plated then painted? Cus the paint job on this bezel kind of sucks! Still got a lot of work a head of me and I am in this thing for the long haul!

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2015 at 5:43pm
Love this color...

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2015 at 6:10pm
Installed upper and lower control arm bushings this morning before all the "honey do's"   

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2015 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

Did these dash parts get plated then painted? Cus the paint job on this bezel kind of sucks! Still got a lot of work a head of me and I am in this thing for the long haul!
Yes, they were chromed and then painted. Get a hold of kirkwood. I seem to remember that he found a place that could do the vacuum chrome when he was restoring his Gremlin.

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2015 at 7:52pm
Thanks Ken...
I was under the impression that the pieces where plated before painting but I wasn't too sure.
The chrome on these dash pieces is still in really good shape. There's no pitting or peeling that I've found so far. What I was thinking of doing is taping off the chrome and lightly sanding the painted area's and repainting. It maybe a little bit more work on my end of the stick, but I can't afford to have the pieces re-plated. And that green to me, is not my favorite.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2015 at 8:28pm
I have painted a few and it is not too bad to mask off the chrome. I have had a few where the masking tape has pulled the chrome so be careful. I have also added vinyl trim on some.

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2015 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

I have painted a few and it is not too bad to mask off the chrome. I have had a few where the masking tape has pulled the chrome so be careful. I have also added vinyl trim on some.

Thanks Ken! This one gives me a great idea! I was going to try to put a tachometer in the far right hole. I have an NOS tach. but its for a 6 cyl.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2015 at 7:01am
If it is the same process that was used on my Fairlane dash, It is vacuum plating. They put the parts in a drum and pull a vacuum then melt aluminum and it coats the parts which are polished then coated with UV clear coat. It looks like chrome but it isn't.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2015 at 12:47pm
Put together the front spindles with the lowering plates this morning.
Ran into a small issue with one bolt sticking out too far.

A few minutes with Mr. Jim Hacksaw and problem solved.

Turned out pretty good!

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 101>
  Share Topic