TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 AMC Javelin / AMX - ON TRACK!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingedSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2010 at 9:44pm
We replaced the trac-lok in our 9" Ford with a Tru-trac for our last race.
Very smooth, I forgot it was there.  Get one!

Dean

Straightaways are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
ZCODE View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCODE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2011 at 11:36pm
Asif,
Just got my new Popular Hot Rodding today.  Congrats on the write-up on your Javelin.
Z
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2011 at 7:05am
Originally posted by ZCODE ZCODE wrote:

Asif,
Just got my new Popular Hot Rodding today.  Congrats on the write-up on your Javelin.

????  Asif got some ink in PHR???  Congrats!  Got to check that out!

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Michael Pinto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Pinto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2011 at 9:14am
Yeah, his Yellow car got a nice little shout-out in the Reader's Rides section! Congrats!!
Michael Pinto

73 AMC Javelin SST Trans Am Victory Edition - 360/727
WingedSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingedSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2011 at 9:47am
Good job Asif

Nice perks for hard work!
Straightaways are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2011 at 10:01pm
thanks guys.  just got my issue of PHR today.  Liz Miles posted a request for readers rides submissions on pro-touring.com.  that was months ago though... I thought maybe she had decided to pass... pretty cool.

for anyone whose interested that doesn't get the magazine I scanned and posted the blurb on my blog: http://asifnyc.com/?p=1049

Edited by asifnyc - May/25/2011 at 12:18am

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
'75 Grm, '62 Amer, '70/'71 Jav - projects
Charles Smiley View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 7:12pm
Nice job! What are you using for an oil pan? 

You guys are so lucky. Back in the 80s and early 90s I was the only AMC out on road tracks out here in So. CA. I think AMC has more fans now than it ever did. Also more AMC parts for racing than ever. Enjoy!

Chas.

asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 9:58pm
Hey Charles, where in CA are you?

my yellow Javelin has a stock oil pan, slightly crushed from accidentally getting a jack on it once... :(

the race Javelin I'm building has an Aviad pan.

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
Charles Smiley View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 10:35pm
In Porter Ranch, CA which is the north end of San Fernando Valley area.

I had several pans fabricated with internal trap doors and side wings for track work. It was slightly deeper than stock too. I read in Donohue's book that he wished the '70 Jav had been just i inch deeper and it would have saved some motors. It also had some rub-rails welded on the bottom.

Way before that in 1977 I put a deep 8 qt. pan for street running. I think it was a Milodon. Speed bumps had to be taken with care but the headers would usually rub first.  I even raced a new turbo Carrera in Mulholland in '77 and it was a draw. I think both of us were scared at what we did. That was with the original warmed up 360. With the 401 I wouldn't be typing this now.

Once I lowered it an inch for the track around '84, that deep pan was out of the question.

When I got my '68 AMX I quickly learned that with better tires and some handling upgrades that I could easily out corner the stock pan. Especially in snap-turns screwing around. It's funny that my '70 AMX could corner like a demon and I never had any trouble with losing oil pressure. When I restored a Jav-AMX years later I used a police pan and that worked fine for even some crazy street fun.

asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 11:52pm
what AMC's do you still own? any pics?  that Hornet you used to own is/was super cool!

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic