TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

Can’t figure out what I was thinking.
Early onset CRS? LOL

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 7:29am
Nah, I figured it out... I’d better not be losing it yet!
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 10:47am
It’s almost 9 and I have a LOT to get done before 3 this afternoon when I have to clean up and take my son to baseball practice. Then it’s back to work tomorrow. The pressure is on this get this car running today/tonight.

According to USPS tracking, my starter should arrive sometime today. As long as that doesn’t take hours to squeeze in with the header, I should be able to have everything else done and be firing it up by tomorrow morning.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 2:06pm
Well, I’m glad I put in a fuel pressure gauge. The mechanical fuel pump I put in the car is putting out at least 15 psi! The gauge says 15 but it only reads to 15. I’m on a wild goose chase around SoCal for a store that actually carries the cheap Holley regulators. The Mr. Gaskets are utter crap. My nice billet aluminum QFT regulator is a bypass type and my Aeromotive regulator is an EFI regulator. This is easier than doing a return line for sure.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2018 at 9:25am
So after working furiously, nonstop for two days without sleeping only to find my fuel pump is putting out way too much fuel, I drive all over SoCal and finally make a few calls and find a store with a Holley fuel pressure regulator in stock. I get home, minutes from victory, fuel gushes out of the top of the regulator. Turns out, most likely some yahoo didn’t want to spend a couple dollars on a rebuild kit, so he bought a regulator, removed the springs, diaphragm, and gasket, and put it back together then returned it gutted. I managed to get up the energy to drive out late last night for another one at another store far away, but I just couldn’t keep working after not sleeping and working straight through the previous night.

But now I’ve had a good 7ish hours of sleep, and I’m ready to finish. I’m just gonna take a deep breath and start over. I’ll pull the distributor and find TDC and static set timing, check everything again. Ready my vacuum gauge, timing light, remote starter switch, couple of screwdrivers and wrenches, and hopefully make short work of dialing this puppy in.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 12:47am
Got the Holley deadhead regulator in, but I was still seeing pressure creep. I couldn’t get consistent fuel pressure no matter what I did. Car seemed to run ok though. I took it for a ride today get my new tires put on and got some fittings and fuel hose. I ended up installing a return line and my old billet QFT bypass regulator. Now the fuel pressure is looking good. I also found out that the heater core or valve leaks, but I had a splice in my toolbox with me for just that reason. Took just a couple minutes on the side of the road to loop the heater lines together.

So FINALLY, it’s back on the road. Feels good.

Here’s a shot of my 360 shoehorned into the Hornet wagon.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 6:28am
Another step forward. Looking good.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 8:04am
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 8:10am
Which mechanical fuel pump are you using? Stock pumps only put out 5 psi and Carter hi-po is about 7 or 8 psi. Are you sure the gauge is accurate? 6 psi at wide open throttle is sufficient. Where is the gauge mounted?  Can you run it out to the cowl just so you can see the fuel pressure under load?
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2018 at 9:28am
I believe it’s the Carter. Muscle car fuel pump or something like that? My buddy gave it to me new. I’d have to crawl under and look for a part number.

I’m positive the gauge is accurate. It’s a nice Aeromotive liquid filled gauge with a pressure equalization valve and I’ve been running it for a while with no issues.

The gauge was mounted inline after the regulator and about an inch before the carb feed line fitting. Now it’s mounted in the bypass regulator gauge port.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
  Share Topic