TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2018 at 1:29pm
My tilting mechanism is a small ratchet strap from the water pump snout to the hoist arm. Cheap.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 2:15pm
Well, I was planning on working on the car all yesterday afternoon/evening and today. I got stuck at work late and got a slow start today. Been mostly cleaning up the garage and organizing parts. Been on the hunt for a spark plug for a little while now. I have probably 100 RN14YC and RN12YC and some RC plugs, but I’m trying to find a spare RC9YC. I know I have a few spare somewhere. Why run such a cold plug? The car runs best with the cleanest plugs and no pinging on those. I don’t know about the science behind it. I’m all about the empirical evidence.

Planning to get the torque converter bolted up, front dress on the engine, everything plumbed, old wiring ripped out, new harness laid out, and old Packard connectors disassembled today.

Next work day, I’ll do new wiring. After that, I’ll start replacing suspension bushings, rebuild lead springs, cut front coils, add rear swaybar, rebuild steering. Finally, new tires, alignment, front windshield, seatbelts, stereo system, etc.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 7:21am
I didn’t get as much as I wanted done, of course. Spent half the morning looking for my torque converter bolts then another good while looking for some in town. No luck. Then family stuff and finally to work on the car.

I got the old harness out and laid it all out, carefully looking over the schematic and comparing to the new universal harness. I cut out and set aside most of the connectors as I’ll reuse many of them with new terminals. I got a universal harness from Speedway this time. It has the same two piece column ignition switch connectors, same column connector, new headlight switch, dimmer switch, lots of terminals for all of the connectors, other extras. Probably not the highest quality wires considering how cheap it was, but it’s put together really well.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 4:31pm
Did some horse trading for parts yesterday. Now have a set of Hedman 98310 long tube headers, torque converter bolts I was missing, new rear hatch struts, and two sets of seatbelts.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 5:41pm
Anyone know if the neutral safety switch is in the column on a column shifted automatic 1973 Hornet? This car had some PO wiring going on and even the factory schematic is a little off here and there. I’m not very experienced with column shift automatics.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 6:23pm
Being a 727 trans, I believe your neutral safety switch is in the starter solenoid.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 7:23pm
Josh,

The 1973 Hornet with automatic would have been a TF. You need to address the backup lights too. With the TF that would have been in the transmission with the NS.

If I remember correctly you are transplanting the TH350 from the Jav. What I had to do with my Hornet because of the TH400 was to use a GM column mount NS switch. The column is Saginaw so the slot is there for the switch finger. I tacked two small nuts for screws to hold the switch in place. Looking back I may have been able to just drill and tap the column but I was moving to fast to take the time to check clearance for that. With the GM column switch you can kill two birds with one stone.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 9:27pm
Sorry, I wasn’t being very clear. As I was also having a brain fart.

The Hornet has a recently rebuilt 727 in it. The little bit I drove it around with the other 360 before swapping my mine in, it felt very good and seemed to have a looser than stock converter.

If I understand correctly, on the 3 prong switch, the outer two are backup lights, circuit closed in reverse, and the center pin gets ground in park and neutral. I’d need a starter relay with a separate ground post or run the start wire through a relay and negative trigger it from the NSS wire.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 9:48pm
Now I’m gonna have to find another connector for the switch as the one that was in the car had a wire broken off at the connector which is molded around the wires without replaceable terminals. I may have time to hit the junkyard tomorrow, but that’s dangerous as I’ll come back with far more than I went for. Otherwise I’ll find one on eBay or somewhere.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 10:22pm
Good grief, they’re proud of those little 3 prong pigtails. Cheapest I found was $14 + $8 shipping. Seems like it should be a $10 part max.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
  Share Topic