TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 11:35pm
I’m trying hard to keep this simple and budget friendly, but I want it to be a car my wife can jump in, crank it up, and cruise safely and comfortably. I’m going to do this in two main phases:

Phase 1-
Install my 360, plumb everything
Rewire entire car (it’s fine now, but I like to just start all new and modern with something as crucial as electrical)
New tires - 225/70R14 rear, 215/60R14 front
Full Prothane bushing kit
All new suspension parts (Prothane sells a Moog kit with everything)
Alignment
Install my Javelin’s rear ADDCO swaybar
Replace cracked windshield
Replace all seatbelts (wife wants shoulder belts in front and third lap belt in rear)

Phase 2-

Touch up paint
Stripe kit
Restore wheels
Carpet kit
Reupholster seats
Rebuild A/C
Add ADDCO front swaybar

Phase 3?-
Cam and lifters
Heads worked over
15” wheels and wider tires
Coil over conversion
Fuel injection

We’ll see how long it takes to get everything in the budget and done.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 7:19am
Congrats Josh. Looks like you have been officially promoted to be your wife's "mechanic". LOL

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2018 at 8:31am
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Congrats Josh. Looks like you have been officially promoted to be your wife's "mechanic".

LOL

Ha ha!!!
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 12:19pm
I’m sure bummed about this smashed Javelin in my driveway. It had a few rust spots needing attention, but it was darn straight and the interior looks almost brand new still. It had only 15,000 well documented miles on it and I only put another 10,100 on it myself.

But here’s to the next chapter and I’m stoked about this Hornet wagon. My wife and I drove around SoCal looking at Sportabouts a few years ago, so we definitely dig them. The kids LOVE the thing.

Unfortunately I won’t have the time to install the 360 from my Javelin for a couple of weeks, so that sucks, but plenty of time to get everything ready. I think I’ll do all of the suspension, steering, and wiring with the engine out since it’ll be way easier that way.

I find some guys don’t like the idea of rewiring it since the original electrical system is solid, but I just feel so much more confident in a car once I’ve gone through it as completely as possible. I like using distribution blocks for battery and accessory power and also grounds. I’ll rebuild the firewall connector with new wire and terminals and add relays here and there. I like to add a relays after the ignition switch for “run” power to ease the load on the old switch. I’ve had them go out but you can get a lot of life out of an old switch by reducing the load through it if it only needs to trigger a relay. Without the electric fuel pump I ran in the Javelin from my EFI days, I’m simplifying things a bit since I won’t be using my oil pressure switch to cut off fuel in the event of the engine dying in a crash.

I also talk to a lot of guys who don’t like polyurethane bushings. Personally, I build a custom leaf pack, clamp forward springs, shorten front coils, use poly bushings, and enjoy a firm ride. I’m also a proponent of heavy ADDCO front sway bars and adding a rear ADDCO bar. My Javelin cornered like a dream for an old trunnion car and was very predictable. And lowering the front a little made tje steering noticeably more stable at speeds over 100 mph. There’s a lot of weight in the rear of this wagon and controlling it seems like a good idea to me, especially with the posi in the rear.

I only lament the limited availability of tires in a 14” size. I love these old Vector style wheels on this car though. I’m doing 225/70R14 out back with 215/60R14 in front to keep from rubbing when I lower the front about an inch.

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 3:05pm
I’m pretty worried about my Patriot Clippster shorty headers going into this Hornet. I know they’re based on the old Edelbrock shorty design and those didn’t fit small body cars without an engineering degree. I wonder if the flanges were rotated to help some on the passenger side. I also hear the steering rod is a problem on the driver side. But others have said with just a little tube clearancing and maybe a mini starter, they’ll fit ok.

Anyone have firsthand experience or pictures on this? I have a set of manifolds with air tubes blocked off, but I’d sure like to keep my shiny ceramic coated headers in play without losing my mind, if possible.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 5:32pm
Sorry for the really long posts, guys. These threads are how I document my thoughts and the changes a project goes through as I work on it over time.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 9:27pm
I am currently using cast iron free flow manifolds on my Hornet. The driver side fit with no problems and with some creative angle grinder work the passenger side fit too. Point being that with a little work you should be able to get your Clippsters to fit too. It is a PITA but it can be done.

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 10:14pm
That’s encouraging. I don’t think I ever do anything that’s NOT a PITA, so I’m sure I’ll figure it out. One day when I’m old and seasoned and have done everything the hard way enough times, hopefully wrenching will go more smoothly. Probably not as long as I keep up with AMCs... Although my J trucks were always ridiculously easy.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 10:22pm
pit crew, any tips to installing my 360 in the Hornet?

So far I’ve got:
-Start it canted a little to the passenger side and swing it straight as you lower it.
-Loosen the transmission crossmember bolts most of the way to lower the rear of the transmission
-Jack up the front of the transmission and tilt engine rearward then slowly advance them together until dowel pins slide in.
-Put engine mount pads in crossmember first with nuts just started and bolt to engine once it’s in place using a punch or screwdriver to center mounts to engine threaded holes.
-Use a mini starter.
-Get drunk and do it at 2AM.

I fully understand the last one. Kidding... Any value to the others?

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

pit crew, any tips to installing my 360 in the Hornet?
I posted on the other thread but I'll post it here too. What we have found in the shop the best way has been in and out the bottom just like the factory.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic