TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout X
    Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 9:11pm
I’m going to start this thread here in anticipation of HOPEFULLY picking up this awesome Hornet. You might have seen the final chapter of my 1969 AMC Javelin SST on a Budget thread in this section recently or my post and corresponding pictures in the What Did You Do Today thread. If so, you’ll know that my ‘69 Javelin took a big hit on the driver door, front fender, and rocker panel. The insurance company is calling it a total loss. Long story short, I bought the car 4-5 years ago with only 15,000 original, well documented miles. It was stored for years outside in Hawaii, though, and within a year or two of driving it, there were a few localized rust spots showing up. They were strangely localized and 95% of the rest of the car is completely rust free. I will have final details of the insurance payout and salvage value of the car next week sometime and will be forming my initial plans moving forward. Basically, I’ve been driving some sort of AMC for the last 15 years and am not ready to change that now. I’ve got my eyes now on a 1973 Sportabout.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 10:59pm
I'm gonna give some details on the 1973 Hornet as well as my 1969 Javelin as there are a lot of good parts on the Javelin that could definitely be used on the Hornet.  I can't possibly watch the insurance company take the Javelin away for salvage, so I'll most likely buy it back and take a smaller payout.  I could definitely use some advice and want to hear your thoughts on what I should or shouldn't use on the Hornet.  

The insurance company valued the car at $10,525.  I have a little over $14k in the Javelin including purchasing it for the killer price of $2,000.  That's doing 95% of the work myself and bartering for a lot of the parts on it.  I estimate with the rust issues a reasonable current market value prior to the accident of $7,500.  I feel like with paint and body work, it would have been a $10-12k car easily.  That said, I believe it was a fair valuation.  The salvage value was about $2,500.  That plus my $500 deductible, and it looks like, according to the adjuster, I'll get a payout somewhere between $7,600-7,800.  That's if I buy  back the car.  It would be awfully hard to watch $10k+ in really good parts drive away on a tow truck.

My buddy, Tim, who has the Hornet, did mention he could help me out with some stock parts including an old 290 to swap into the Javelin prior to insurance picking it up and I could get the entire $10,500-ish.  If I have time, that may be a smart option.  I'll check with the insurance to make sure i don't screw myself.  Might be best to just pay the salvage value and part out the car.  I can give Tim a lot of it to reduce his price on the Hornet.  

Here are some specs on the Hornet.  I'll also list some parts I have available from the Javelin.

1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout X:
fresh 360 .060 over, new bearings, everything blueprinted and balanced, cast internals (this was actually a shortblock I gave to Tim in exchange when I bought the one mentioned below)
TF727 unknown miles (shifted quite firm during test drive)
Model 20 w/2.87 gears.  Positraction (TracLok, PowrLok?)(Locked up nicely during test drive)
Motorola alternator
Delco distributor w/Hall Effect pickup and electronic ignition box (brand I wasn't familiar with, small black box)
4 bbl Carter carb
Heads rebuilt, mild porting, port match
Mild cam (Tim rattled off specs, I can't remember)
non-smog exhaust manifolds

Now for my parts with potential for the Hornet:
ADDCO swaybars front 1-1/8" and rear 3/4" (I know the rear will work.  Not sure on front.)
Fresh rear drum brakes (the Hornet needs rear brakes rebuilt)
10k mile 360 .030 over, forged TRW pistons (Tim built this shortblock also)
Edelbrock Air-Gap intake
Edelbrock Performer cam
Quick Fuel SS 680VS carb
MSD 6A, Blaster Coil, Pro-Billet Distributor, 8mm wires
Edelbrock Aluminum Water Pump
Heads milled for Harland Sharp roller rockers (never rebuilt them though.  original springs, valves, seals [actually I believe at some point they were replaced with perfect circle seals])
Ceramic coated Patriot Clippster Headers (bolt right in in place of manifolds with a little work)
Aeromotive Phantom in-tank fuel system w/-06an feed and return lines
Spare Ford 9" open 2.79 rearend that was in a 1969 AMX (needs new perches welded on when setup in car)
B&M Quicksilver shifter
I also have a hidden bluetooth amp/receiver and new speakers, tach, temp and oil press gauges, other electrical stuff (all new wiring harness in Javelin)
I know there's more I'm not remembering.

It seems like a shame to touch the fresh 360 in the Hornet that Tim just built and has maybe 50 miles on it, but I have money in some good parts that I've enjoyed running.  Maybe just drive it for now and save the good parts for later down the line.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 11:11pm
Sorry to hear about your Javelin. I know the Sportabout. It is a very nice one. Tim does good work, too.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 11:16pm
Sounds like you have some nice options...good luck with the Sportabout!
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 11:19pm
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Yeah, I saw that Sportabout when it was still on the trailer at Tim’s house a year or two ago and really liked it then. I’m honored he even considered me for it now. Tim has been a generous and helpful friend. We’ve done our fair share of horse trading. He’s got a transmission and engine and other tools and parts from me and I’ve got an engine, rear end, sets of leaf springs, and a ton of small parts from Tim. I almost feel like I’m making out too good sometimes as he’s just always so kind and generous.

Edited by Red20 - Mar/03/2018 at 11:32pm
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 11:29pm
Keep in mind, Tim wasn’t ready to sell this car and would have finished up the little odds and ends and cleaned it up before showing it and putting his price on it. He knew I was in a spot with my Javelin and looking for another AMC and that I love Sportabouts, so he asked me if I’d be interested in this one. I actually went out to see him to look over another 1969 Javelin that he also has, but it would be far too much work for me right now.

Tim tells me I may have problems fitting my Air-Gap manifold under the hood of a Hornet...
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 1:20am

Tim is letting me drive the wagon for a few days and think it over. Mostly, I’m making sure my wife is onboard with another AMC project. The last one she followed me into didn’t even run when we got it, so this is a good start! My 9 year old son is all in and rode the 40 miles home with me. Farthest the car has gone since Tim put the engine in it. He baselined it, but hasn’t spent any time at all tuning it. I got 11 mpg first time out. That’s with no vacuum advance and zero tuning. I’m sure it could see 14 in the highway with a good tune and slightly bigger tires. It is a 360 though.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 1:25am
I believe I have a plan for this car initially, but I need to buy it first and make sure Tim is onboard and happy with the direction I want to take. He had plans for it and wasn’t gonna sell it yet except that he’s just a great guy and is really helping me out by letting it go as is. I gotta do him and this car justice while making it my own.
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 11:03am
Didn't the "X" model come with all of the "X" goodies like bucket seats and turned dash and "X" markings on the rear?

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Mr. Ed Mr. Ed wrote:

Didn't the "X" model come with all of the "X" goodies like bucket seats and turned dash and "X" markings on the rear?

Later!
Mr. Ed

Yes, as far as I know. The badges aren’t on the car currently, but Tim has all of them. Gonna rub out the paint and shine it up then put ‘em back where they belong.

I’m really falling for this car. It’s a ton of fun. I’m excited to get my kids more involved with the AMC hobby. I’ve been really bad about getting them out in the garage turning wrenches with me. I get impatient and very particular about my work space, but that’s no way to be. This is a perfect project to put the finishing touches on and get them into it with me. Replacing dash bulbs and holding multimeter leads while I troubleshoot gauges, carpet kit, other interior touches, all things that are perfect as family projects. If I decide to put my Javelin’s engine in or anything more dangerous, they’ll have to stay out of the way some, but I’ve pledged to be a better car Dad with this one.

Edited by Red20 - Mar/05/2018 at 2:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic