TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 360 heads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 360 heads
    Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 8:14pm
I brought a pair of '73 heads to the machine shop. The heads have 150,000 miles on them. I asked the owner to do the "full Monty" to them......hot tank, magna flux, new valves, retainers, and springs. The owner said he would call to say what the heads need and how much. He will probably ask if I want to stay with rotator valves. What is better? Rotator or non-rotator?

Below is a new Eddy Performance Plus cam & lifters kit, new stock-type pistons .030", '68 390 block/crank/rods, balanced rotating assembly, dog-leg exhaust manifolds.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 10:15pm
Forgot to ask...are guide plate required if not running the rotator valves.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 9:17am
The rotators were installed to extend valve/seat life. It won't hurt to leave them on, but it won't hurt to remove them either. I've removed them from all the early heads I've had rebuilt and just gone with standard springs and retainers and had hardened exhaust seats installed. 73 heads should have individual rockers, so the pushrod holes are oval and act as guides. You will need hardened pushrods designed for guide plates if you replace them.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2014 at 3:47pm
Thanks tufcj, You mentioned the push rod holes are oval on a '73 head and act as guides. I have a new set of 1968 390 rockers and push rods. Can they be used with the 73 dog-leg heads?

Also, when slotting/drilling the center holes on the 68-69 intake manifold, what is the best method? The tools I have to do this are hand held drills and an assortment of rat tail files. Should the original center holes in the intake be filled with JB Weld before starting. That way instead of a slot in the intake it is only a new hole. May lessen the chance of a leak?

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Aug/02/2014 at 3:51pm
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2014 at 8:33pm
The 68 rockers should work. Pushrods might, depending on machine work done. If the head has been milled or the block decked, you may need custom pushrods.

If the heads are off, you have an option. You can drill/tap the late heads for the early manifold, or slot the manifold. Use a valley pan as a template for the new holes either way.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
390AMX2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390AMX2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2014 at 9:57am
You say that you have a new set of 68 push rods. Could you tell me what the length of yours and who made them are as I have been looking for the correct length for my 69 390. I know 68 and 69 used one length and 70 and above used a longer push rod. Summit Racing sent one length that didn't work, another guy said I should use a shorter one, and the 1969 TSM says I should use one that is in between these two but I can't find any.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2014 at 12:38pm
390AMX2, I have the 1969 TSM and I can't find the specifications for the pushrods. What page is it on?

I purchased my 1968 push rods from The AMC Store. They are a vendor here and listed in the Vendor Directory. Part # 48092 listed for 66-69 V8 at $5.00 each. The push rods measure approximately 7.76" long and are 5/16" in diameter. The 16 push rods came in a sealed bag with no name on the bag. I also purchased my rocker arm kit (ball, rocker arm, nut) from The AMC Store Part # RA 44057 for $128.00. Again, no name on the bag the rocker arm kit came in. I purchased a engine rebuild kit from The AMC Store. The other parts came in boxes and the parts are made by well known companies: Clevite cam bearings, OHIO main bearings, TRW timing set, Packard Pistons, Grant rings. I'm installing a Performer Plus cam & lifter kit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic