TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1972 Javelin 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Javelin 360
    Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 11:56pm
I've always wanted an Amc that could work on and be able to test my fabrication skills with, but the one's I have owned in the past have been nice/original enough that I couldn't in clean conscience go through with it, so I think I found my fix.

Picked this up from Joe (Pacerman) In Salinas last Saturday. Should be a fun project, and I'm going to do my best to keep steady progress on the build. 

Connor 
1972 Javelin
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2019 at 6:51am
Looks great Conner, Good luck with the build.
Tom
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2019 at 12:17pm
Clap Can't wait to see the transformation! 

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
'75 Grm, '62 Amer, '70/'71 Jav - projects
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2019 at 1:09pm
Hey, I know that car.   Good luck with it and if you don't want those 14-inch wheels as you progress with the build, let me know.  I might have a use for them.  I will get the back seats to you in the not too distant future.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 10:01am
Hi
You have a good pile of work to do! you are going to have the chance to test yours skills for sure!
I have a 1973 AMX and I´m doing some restoring works on it.
I had found very good help from the forum people.
If i can help you in any way, just let me know 
good luck 
1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)
DAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 6:17pm
Very exciting Conner! 
Do you have a build plan, or are you in the process of forming one?

Regards 

Don
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 6:47pm
Hi Don!

I do have a decent idea of the build plan, and some progress has been made and important parts acquired, but I've been behind on posting pics/updates here. I'll bring this thread up to speed later today/tonight.

Connor 
1972 Javelin
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2019 at 11:45pm
To bring things up to speed, here's what's happened so far.

The original plan was to pull the engine with the trans, but we we're unable to do that. I think mostly because the amount of space between the radiator supports and the front on the second gen Javelins didn't allow for the best access from the cherry picker. The brake booster and master cylinder have also been pulled, and i'm planning on sending the booster to be rebuilt.

My plan is also to convert the car to a 5 speed, so I've got a reverse hang Wilwood clutch pedal assembly, and am working on a mount. I'd like to match it to the factory brake pedal rather than to do a brake an clutch pedal assembly, for the sake of keeping power brakes. Once I find a suitable place to mount the clutch pedal, I'll do a slight offset to the factory brake pedal, and then machine and weld a small block of steel that's drilled and tapped to accept a matching Wilwood pedal so it all looks appropriate paired to the Wilwood reverse hang clutch assembly. 

Recently, I also purchased a Tremec T5Z from craigslist for a good price, and am hoping it still looks good upon further inspection. 

1972 Javelin
BADJAV390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BADJAV390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2019 at 11:55pm
cool project! weren't you doing a turquoise AMX at one point?
1968 AMX 390/4spd
1969 Jav 600 HP Alfano 390 Protouring
1970 Javelin SST 390/4spd
next..71 amx 401/4spd, 70 AMX 390 4spd, 69 sc/rambler, 69 AMX BBO 390 4spd
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 11:57pm
Time for a very long overdue update. Work has continued since my last post, though with work and other things happening I haven't really done steady updating. Instead, be ready for a wall of pictures with some descriptions 

As was seen in a separate thread, here is the removable upper radiator support for easier and safer engine & trans installation/removal on these long hooded cars. Also makes getting into the engine bay a lot less of a hassle.

Next, interior was stripped, and I discovered a very large dent in the driver side footwell close to where the highbeam switch was. It may be hard to see,  but it protruded about 1.5"-2" or so, and broke some tack welds. Luckily, it was far enough away that the subframe was unharmed. 

A hole was drilled in the center of the dent, and 5/8" all thread was ran through with two 4x6 sections clamping it back to flat. Not perfect, but a whole lot better than what it was. I may try to get it better later, but regardless the broken tack welds will be repaired 

After seeing that I'd have to replace some good sized quarter panel sections due to rust, I decided to strip the entire exterior of the car to bare metal. With 4 layers of paint on most of the car, it took a lot of time, but with exception of certain areas of painted over rust, I was pretty happy about the fact that there was virtually no bondo at all on this car 

There's still a lot of pics of things that have been done since the last update, but I don't want a whole bunch in a single post. I have kept a good amount of momentum going with this for the last 3-4 months, and am really enjoying the whole process!

Connor 
1972 Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic