TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971-1974 Javelin U-Joints

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1971-1974 Javelin U-Joints
    Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 8:03pm
I have some nasty vibration at around 55 MPH in the Jav and the driveshaft wiggles a bit at the front. I'm going to get new u-joints and see if I can either get the existing driveshaft balanced or get a new one from Tom Woods.

I've always been a fan of Spicer u-joints, but I'm having some difficulty figuring out the correct ones. Summit and JEGS don't list them at all and Amazon says the Spicer 5-153X "works" for my car. Does anyone know the correct Spicer u-joint part numbers for the front and rear? If Spicer isn't an option, what would you recommend? Unless there's no other option, I'd prefer not to use parts store stuff. The car will eventually be putting out lots of power so I need strong parts.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 11:24pm
The javelin takes a 1310 series u-joint. The spicer 153X is a 1310 series u-joint so it should fit. I dot konw if spicer sells a u-joint with a solid cross, if power is a concern I would look for one with a solid- non greasable u-joint. NAPA sells a brute force one that is solid and priced reasonable.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 6:02am
IF the front joint is loose enough for the driveshaft to wiggle that's the issue, not balance. I'd try the u-joint and only look for another culprit if that doesn't fix it -- but I bet it does. 
Frank Swygert
JeeperJolene View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 9:09pm
I figure that will probably be enough, but the previous owners did some odd things to this car and I'm not even sure it's the stock driveshaft.

I reached out to East Coast Gear Supply to see what they have from CTM. If that's too expensive, then It'll be Spicer/NAPA for sure. The NAPA ones do have the grease fitting on the cap and not the cross, so that's a plus.
Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 9:22pm
I like the non greaseable spicer ujoints, i put a 1350 yoke and spicer ujoint on the model 20 in my jav. I would reach out to a local 4x4 shop they may stock what you are looking for.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 9:38pm
Hmm, you do raise a good point. Eventually I plan on rebuilding the 20 to have a limited slip and upgrade to the 1350 series u-joints, but I'm not quite ready for that. Since the NAPA ones are much cheaper in cost and I'm just trying to get it safe to drive for the time being, maybe the investment into 1310 CTM u-joints isn't worth the spend.

NAPA part: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NPJP280
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 9:58pm
Im not saying you need to upgrade to a larger ujoint, just saying a local 4x4 shop might stock the solid spicer joints. The napa stuff will hold up fine im sure.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 10:16pm
Yup, I understood. It was on my roadmap anyway. You just reminded me of it :) .
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 10:24pm
We have a local 4x4 shop that has been around forever, they stocked all the seals, timken bearings etc... stuff that has been collecting dust because no one builds a model 20 anymore LOL. worked out well when I put mine together.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 11:02pm
I am torn in that regard. I'd like to keep the 20 because that's what came with the car, but the amount of options out there for the Ford 9 inch vs the AMC 20 is much higher. I still have time to consider my options, but I'm eventually going to have to make the call.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic