TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971-1974 Javelin Coolant Overflow Addition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1971-1974 Javelin Coolant Overflow Addition
    Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 2:45pm
I'm in the middle of troubleshooting coolant leaks on the 360 in my Javelin and figured it would be super helpful to add an overflow bottle so that I can see how much coolant I have while the engine is hot. I was looking around and found this guy:

http://www.shopmoroso.com/eb/catalog/navigationPath//%7B28710%7D::Universal%20Catch,%20Overflow,%20Recovery%20Tank.html?entryId=catalog.productgroup.&expand=true&menuId=main.menu

Obviously that will take some custom mounting work. Has anyone added a coolant reservoir to a second generation Javelin? Mind sharing what you did? I tried searching the forum and didn't have too much luck.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 3:38pm
I also attempted to find one that would fit in the car.  not very many out there.  fortunately for me i had moved the battery to the trunk and could use that space.  I did find one but cant remember where anymore.  good luck 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 4:01pm
I am using a Honda CRV tank, though you need to either remove the radiator top baffle or modify it. Since I will be using an aftermarket radiator, the baffle is not needed, and may make a custom cover plate if i need to.

The only issue is making a custom clip holder to mount, as it uses a slide clip to be held in place.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Dave Z View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 6:50am
That's a nice tank. I used one like this on my son's 72 Javelin
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Polished-Radiator-Coolant-Overflow-Expansion-Tank-3-x-10-In-,2953.html
There's plenty of room in front of the radiator support if you can't fit the overflow in the engine compartment.
I can't see any reason why height is critical or distance from the radiator either. Just as long as it's accessible. Not that you'd want to, but you could put it in the trunk and it would work.

Dave Z
JeeperJolene View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 7:09pm
Actually the space in front would be ideal. Now I just have to find someone who will make me a custom mounting bracket.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 9:36pm
I added an 80 Concord or Spirit overflow tank to my '74 Javelin.   Moved the stock washer fluid reservoir rearward to fit. Needed spacers to fit right, but otherwise looks stock and has an AMC logo. 

Hope this helps,RD
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 10:51pm
I’m sure if you’re anywhere near anyone on the forum with the skills, any number of us could help you fabricate a bracket.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 8:40am
I bought a complete kit at a local auto parts store (Advance, I think) for my '68 AMX. I mounted it in front of the core support using one of the existing holes, drilled 1 more. I also painted the reservoir flat black to hide it behind the grille. Works fine.
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 8:52am
In the past I have used the washer bottle as a coolant overflow...Things look fairly original that way, no extra holes to add and can be put back very easily...I didn't use the washers that much anyway, and left all of the other washer related parts in place...Bob in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 10:19am
I plan on adding the coolant recovery tank to my 73 as well. It's a lot better if you plan on running it on a track or not messing up the garage floor anyway, IMO - and frankly, there's another reason - NOT AS MUCH OXYGEN gets into the cooling system. 
Yeah, that coolant recovery tank if properly done with correct cap and all will keep air out of the cooling system (save for the oxygen that gets dissolved in the fluid anyway) and the cooling system and coolant can last longer.

Here's what I did on my Eagle - GET CREATIVE.  (Question for the crowd here - I FORGOT TO WRITE DOWN what this tank came from in case I ever need to replace it - if anyone here recognizes the coolant tank I used in this photo, PLEASE let me know! I keep a book on all of the stuff I've done, replacement part numbers and so on "just in case" but screwed up big time and failed to not what the heck this coolant bottle was from!!)

First, I moved my windshield washer tank back as far as I could - and in iowa washers are a must have no matter the season - 

Get creative -  I realize we are talking two totally totally different cars, but each has their own challenge. Mine was, well, it's really crowded with an Eagle - the extra vacuum cans for the heater/AC and the drive train system. Even the brake cylinder is a tight fit, there's a hydraulic clutch master cylinder in there as well as exhaust, fuel feed and return and front differential vent hose comes clear up along the shock tower area. I had to really think on this one - if I can master this on an Eagle, YOU can do it on a Javelin. 
And I will be doing this on MY own 73 Javelin as I really believe in coolant recovery systems for multiple reasons, not the least of which is life of the coolant and cooling system. Oxygen in the coolant is not your friend, and neither is ethylene glycol on the garage floor. (especially if you have a dog)

And here is my coolant recovery tank - it snaps into a bracket and to remove the tank should I ever need to I unplug the AC lower pressure switch wire, remove the coolant tank cap and pull the tank straight up out of the bracket. Simple.
Also note the shape is as if it was made for this car - with clearance for the AC line and the AC switch wiring along the side. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic