TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Matador project. The “Rotador”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2020 at 7:58am
Sitting for 15 years has most likely dried the seals out and while not a long turn cure. You could drop a bottle of transmission sealer and conditioner in it. This will cause the seals to swell up and it might start working for the short term, but it is in no way a permanute solution. if your planning on hot rodding the car I would look into changing it over to a 727 or a Turbo 400.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
BadMata View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadMata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2020 at 8:11am
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Sitting for 15 years has most likely dried the seals out and while not a long turn cure. You could drop a bottle of transmission sealer and conditioner in it. This will cause the seals to swell up and it might start working for the short term, but it is in no way a permanute solution. if your planning on hot rodding the car I would look into changing it over to a 727 or a Turbo 400.

Tom

I’m the short term I just plan putting it around town, no long trips or highway for now. I tried AT-205 re seal because the rear main seal was leaking and it seemed to fix that issue short term. maybe I’ll grab a bottle and throw it in to see how it does. 

I did find a notebook in the trunk from one of the previous Owners and they did mention about the car needing repairs, but they didn’t specify what it was, and I wonder if this was the issue that made him dump it because otherwise the car is in pretty decent shape. Only one way to find out!
71' Matador 304 (rescued)
2012 Tacoma TRD (daily)
2010 Matrix XR (wifes)
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2020 at 6:44pm
Hmm.. 727 no reverse or 3rd... from looking at this, seems to suggest maybe an issue with the front Clutch ?

BadMata View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadMata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2020 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Hmm.. 727 no reverse or 3rd... from looking at this, seems to suggest maybe an issue with the front Clutch ?

I don’t have a 727. I believe it’s an aluminum case M44. That chart will be handy if I decide to install a 727 though!
2012 Tacoma TRD (daily)
2010 Matrix XR (wifes)
BadMata View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadMata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2020 at 10:19pm
Sorry about that, a BW-T35. 
2012 Tacoma TRD (daily)
2010 Matrix XR (wifes)
BadMata View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadMata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2020 at 10:49pm
I removed the tranny and tore it all apart... found some carnage... it is not pretty... it all started in the pan with a pound and a half of metal sludge.
Then I dug deeper. And I found what seems to be the end of my rebuild...

It appears as though the planetary gears chewed through the case, dispersed fine metallic fragments to the rear clutch pack assembly and pretty much destroyed it. Also the reason for no reverse. I pumped some air into the reverse band piston and got bubbles all around the bowl because of the glitter wedged between the seal So it wouldn’t hold full pressure. That would explain why it would go in reverse on jack stands and not with the full weight of the vehicle. 

The moral of the story is, I pretty much need a new trans. So if someone has a BW-T35 laying around, slide into my DM’s... lol

2012 Tacoma TRD (daily)
2010 Matrix XR (wifes)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2020 at 6:26am
That would be an M-40, not a M-35 (T-35). It's a bit stronger than the 35. In fact, in 71 it would be an M-44 behind a 304, M-43 behind a six. I don't know the difference, but not much. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 43 behind a stock 304. Finding either might be tough! An M-40 was used behind a 290, that would be acceptable as well. I wouldn't use any of the M-3x series... well, maybe a liquid cooled M-37 (used in big cars). Most M-3x series were air cooled, with the later 36 and 37 having the option of liquid cooling.
Frank Swygert
BadMata View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadMata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2020 at 7:34am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

That would be an M-40, not a M-35 (T-35). It's a bit stronger than the 35. In fact, in 71 it would be an M-44 behind a 304, M-43 behind a six. I don't know the difference, but not much. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 43 behind a stock 304. Finding either might be tough! An M-40 was used behind a 290, that would be acceptable as well. I wouldn't use any of the M-3x series... well, maybe a liquid cooled M-37 (used in big cars). Most M-3x series were air cooled, with the later 36 and 37 having the option of liquid cooling.

It will be tough finding either probably. Maybe not impossible!

I found someone selling a T35 for a Volvo. Maybe I can use the internals if they are similar? They will probably have different ratios, I’ll have to do some research on that. 
2012 Tacoma TRD (daily)
2010 Matrix XR (wifes)
BadMata View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadMata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2020 at 7:36am
Or just try and swap it out with a Turbo 400...
2012 Tacoma TRD (daily)
2010 Matrix XR (wifes)
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2020 at 8:17am
I have a M-44 out of a 71 Javelin with console. Free, but you have to come to Pittsburgh Pa to pick it up. No idea of the condition, its been sitting for years. Supposedly came out of a driving car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic