TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Matador Machine Clone !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matadorsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1971 Matador Machine Clone !!!
    Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 3:08am
 Hey guys hows it goin, some of you know me from my other posts ive put up befor, but incase you dont know me my name's "Matador Steve" , ive been restomodding my 1973 Matador into a 1971 Matador Machine for the past 5 months out of my buddy's garage and its been one hell of an adventure, some stories good, some stressful, but all a satisfying triumph over what many "restorers" would shy away from. Some people ask me why i choose to "restore" an AMC over any other make of vehicle, especialy when there are more desireable cars out there waiting to be restored, wich would fetch a higher price for resale when finished, where my answer is almost always based on what i would refer to as puppy love.

This was the first classic car i ever owned which i bought for a small sum of $200.00 with just 52,000 original miles on the odometer. I was only 17, and she was my pride and joy for over 3-1/2 years, from 2004-late 2007. I had a lot of good times in that car, driving it daily and anywhere i could take it, but times changed and i fell into some financial issues and had to let her go - and for most people thats where their tale ends, the car dissapears - sometimes for good, and the memories tranform into stories of regret of greater days past, but not for me.

Fortunatly this past fall i came back into contact with the man i sold my beloved AMC to, and luckily for me he had gotten into some minor financial issues of his own and was looking to sell the Matador, or trade for something more reliable that didnt need so much work, so with no time spared i worked out a deal with him and traded my 85' Z-28 for the Matador and started on the road to restoring it which wasnt easy. Even be the fact that only less than 20,000 miles had been put on the body and drivetrain, i had driven it through the winters, and New England turned its ugly head and took most of its toll out on the quarters, floor and other various odds and ends sheetmetal that the road salt could find its way into.

For myself it was a hard task to accomplish, most of the sheetmetal needed to be replaced, replacement chrome and parts needed to be located, and all the mechanical components on the vehicle needed to be replaced or rebuilt. When it came down to it the  engine was the major point of my cars build, and i wanted something more on the lines of a magazine ordered crate motor so i would have to go through the hastle of building a motor myself, and be this the world of AMC's thats not an easy task to accomplishas most of you would know, but after some time of looking i found an awesome company out of Arizona - Tuff Dawg Engines - Which built me an awesome 401 power plant to replace my wimpy 304.

While it came at a cost, it has all the top quality goodies like keith black H.C. hyperhectic pistons, Chevy forged rods machined down to fit the 401 crank, milodon 8 quart pan, high flow oil pump, newly casted timing cover/pump housing, roller rocker, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, Edelbrock performer RPM intake, and even a true professional oil modification that didnt require external lines to be run for lubrication points on the block, which the tech guys know that if you want to build a performance AMC block you have to make oiling mods to improve the inferior factory design. They even built me an auto transmission and converter package to match up the the engines mighty horsepower and torque. 

Aside from all that i spent 5 grueling months , more than 35 or more hours a week, through the cold and humidity, to produce what ive always wanted - A 401 powered 1971 Matador with all the right stuff for the street or strip that would put a grin on even the most hardcore Chevrolet or Ford Man , and give any Mustang or Camaro a rum for its money. At this point i am at the stage where it only needs to go for exhaust and body work to be completed, but i was just so excited i had to post my story early and some photos to go with it - Thanks for looking, ill be posting up more pics once the cars fully completed !!!! heres the first years pic of when i owned it !!p 

The winter before i sold her

This fall when i bought her back

When i garaged her for work

Some of the rot / Rust on the drivers floor

Welding in some new metal on the floor

Making up some frame connectors

Dropping in my New Rear w/ the Detroit True Trac Posi and Moser Axles

Painting up my engine bay

Unbolting my new AMC 401 - Yes im proud its an AMC block - not a chevy or ford !!!!

My Engine and trans !!

Dropped into the engine bay nicely !

401 Sitting proudly in her new home where it belonged from birth !!

Thanks For Looking Guys - Ill Get Somore Pics Posted up As Soon As I Can !!!!!!!!!!
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/122/l_55ab1c262b2b4cb591f7b0b769ef9fe4.jpg

1973 AMC Matador - Custom Ram Air !!!

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Turbo !!!
amcrules00 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcrules00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 6:54am

Awesome ride you've got there Steve, and a great story to go along with it. Looks like a real labor of love happening there. I like that you're sticking to the original paint too. Is that a Bitter Sweet Orange car from the factory? Gonna repaint the exterior at some point as well? It's gonna be one tough ride once completed buddy. Keep up the good work. Approve

CloudyB View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 7:39am
I agree too! A labor of love. I love the color and the work your doing. Gonna be one fine ride when you get done. Thanks for sharing.
70 BB Green Donohue
bernard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 8:06am
That is a great car. How did you get the pictures on here I have a 67 Marlin. I have some issues in the front that needs welding as well. Would like to show you pictures.
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 9:06am
Being a 73 model, it's probably Copper Tan Poly or Cordoba Brown Poly.
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
toughtercel View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toughtercel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 10:52am
beautiful color , man i 'm getting old , gotta get my cars back on the road soon .
67 Marlin "343-4BB"
69 Ambassador 2DR "390-4BB"
72 BMW Bavaria
83-86 Tercel 4WD daily

matadorsst View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matadorsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2010 at 10:27am
 Thanks so much, and No i dont believe the original color was a bitter sweet orange, just a hair off actually - cant remember the paint code for the life of me - but the paint was more likea cinnimon-orange tint - Thanks !!!
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/122/l_55ab1c262b2b4cb591f7b0b769ef9fe4.jpg

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matadorsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2010 at 10:28am
thats right 72JAVELIN - i do believe the color was copper - tan - poly , i do love that priginal color, but i wanted something with a more orangy tint, so im gonna go with something like burnt orange when it gets painted - thanks !!

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matadorsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2010 at 10:31am
oh and BERNARD - When your about to post a message, look at the top of the message box and there is a small ICON that looks like a film strip, click that icon and you can upload photos right from your hard drive on your comp. Good Luck - Send me some pics when you get it up !!!!!!

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matadorsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2010 at 10:32am
correction !! its the "TREE" icon next to the "Filmstrip" icon that you want to click- Good luck !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic