TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 11:22am
Wow, Santiago, the paint looks great. I'll be getting around to that someday. I think the brown color looks great in the Javelin.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 3:14pm
The 1971 Javelin ash tray was unique enough that people couldn't figure out how to use it. So AMC sent out a letter to all the 71 Javelin owners with special instructions on how to use it. I'll have to see if I can find my copy.
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 7:43pm
Did some more working taking the interior out of the Javelin. The only rust  that I found was located in the passenger foot well. I'm not positive, but I think the rust may have started from the inside.

Maybe the heating system gave way and flooded the foot well. The heating valve located on the firewall just doesn't look right.

It seems to be missing something. Is there supposed to be a plunger that goes into the hole?
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 7:50pm
The dashboard speaker looks like it was drenched with water. So much rust!

And it looks like they were in a hurry trying to get the dashboard out of the car. They really butchered it.

They also put in this hand valve.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 8:26pm
Them dash units get crispy and do that just looking at them.

My speaker grill was tater chip warped and things was so busted up. Can be rebuilt to usable condition with some glue or adhesive and backing material. I used metal flashing to rebuild broken out mounting tabs.

The external heater valve works, but is a pain to deal with in the winter. You could use a 73 on up valve with vacuum and piggy back from the vent switch a line off of a T to a vacuum switch mounted under the instrument switch overlay.

Your valve is probably can be sold as parts for rebuilding. They look good enough, just some get damaged, like mine with a slight crimp on the pipe. Restored valves are not easy to come by if such pipe is damaged, but internals are usable.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2017 at 6:55pm
Thanks for the info 304 Dude. I haven;t been working on the car for a few months, but decided to spend some time working on it this weekend. I can see that the valve is missing the close off plunger. I took the one out of my parts car and can see that it has the plunger.

Does anyone know what the temperature sensing element is for?
Does it override the valve open (or close) at a preset temperature?

And has anyone used a aftermarket valve such as this one?
Any info would be much appreciated.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2017 at 11:20am
Well, winter is really here now. I can tell by freezing temps all the snow. lol
I've got some pictures to post of my progress in tearing the the Javelin down this past fall.
And after reading some of the other members post about their projects, I realize how blessed I am to have found a car that was well taken care of for most of its life. No accidents or dents, and minimal rust.
There is one thing that I didn't take into consideration when I started this, and that's where to put all the parts that I remove from the cars. Here's one solution.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2017 at 11:26am
Here are some interior shots of the front.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2017 at 11:28am
And here's the back seat area.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2017 at 11:32am
And here's the floor.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>
  Share Topic