TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 8:10pm
IMO the vinyl top can be removed as you like, there are suppliers for factory material if wanting it to match.

My Javelin had a vinyl top, but the original owner removed it due to leakage from the staples. Good thing, as the paint and primer wore down from heat expansion against the material over time. Causing some rust on the panels.

The bubbling if hard can be the metal skin from rust, or the laminate of vinyl bubbling away from the fabric if soft.

The only way to tell if rust damage is to throughly clean from A pillar to quarter window and along trim areas, once the vinyl is removed.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 8:18pm
As I have been dismantling this car, it's interesting to see how it was put together so many years ago. As I took off the front fenders, I noticed that they were brazed at one spot to the rocker panel below the front door.  Here's
a pic of the passenger side.

I'm wasn't sure at first, but I think they did not to hold the fender in place while they attached it to the car. It looks like they formed a channel on the top side of the car to slip the lip of the fender into.

It looks like they pounded the edge into shape with a hammer.

Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 8:22pm
The troughs look to be it very good shape. Just a little clean with some Scotch Brite pads. I was able to remove the roof shingle like things that were attached with big staples. The question is, whats the best way to reattach them?

Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2017 at 7:53pm
So, it was a nice day in southern RI, so while all the tourists are crowding the beaches, I though I'd take a look at the 401 engine that 's been sitting undisturbed for the last 25 years. It's a 1972.

The original carb's been gone for a long time now. It currently has a Holly 750.

Here's the valve cover tag. I thinks there's a typo, cause its says 410, not 401.

I checked the oil. It looked ok. Nothing foreign in there. Well, at least the pan should be good.

I-m going to take the plugs out and put in some Marvel Mystery oil and let it sit for a few weeks. Then Ill see if I can turn it over by hand.
santiago View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote santiago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 1:27am
hallo, I think you can use the rivets
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 6:10pm
Shannock, your engine tag decodes as: 4 = 1971, 10 = October, Z = 401, 09 = 9th day of the month. So, your 401 was made October 9th, 1971.
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 6:16pm
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up, Scott. Makes more sense.
Now I can figure out the 304 engine tag.
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Shannock Shannock wrote:

So, it was a nice day in southern RI, so while all the tourists are crowding the beaches, I though I'd take a look at the 401 engine that 's been sitting undisturbed for the last 25 years. It's a 1972.

The original carb's been gone for a long time now. It currently has a Holly 750.

Here's the valve cover tag. I thinks there's a typo, cause its says 410, not 401.

I checked the oil. It looked ok. Nothing foreign in there. Well, at least the pan should be good.

I-m going to take the plugs out and put in some Marvel Mystery oil and let it sit for a few weeks. Then Ill see if I can turn it over by hand.

yes most definitely get some oil down there. Maybe a good shot of PB blaster in each hole and then dump the MMO in and let it soak. Kroil is the best stuff but expensive. Hope it isnt frozen after that long
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 10:03pm
Here is a picture of the dashboard switches. I didn't realize that they were different than the other years.

And here is the ash tray from the 71.

The 72 is totally different. I must say I'm partial to the 72. It seems to have a more modern look.

And, I was following a post about painting interior panels. I think it was Santiago. The Green Interior pieces are solid color all the way through, while the brown one is painted on.

santiago View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote santiago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 1:21am
Hallo shannock,
you think right.
I used paint RAL 8003 (brown) with an addition 4% of elasticizing 957

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
  Share Topic