TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 20>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 2:31pm
I also got a chance to see if the 401 would turn over now that the transmission was out of the car.
I took out the spark plugs, poured some more Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders and put a pry bar on the crankshaft. The good news is that it turned over very easily. No binding at all. Even the alternator was turning.

I took some pictures along the side of the block to see if I could see the 401 embossed on the side.
Up until this point, I was undecided on which engine to use. I was leaning toward the 304 because it was already in the white car, but now I've decided to use this engine. It'll be more work but I think it'll be worth it.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 2:36pm
I took some of the advice that you guys gave me on repairing the front spoiler. It turned out pretty good.
Now I'll have to learn how to do some fiberglass repair.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
silver71 amx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver71 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 4:04pm
How's the progress coming?  Any updates?
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 7:37pm
I have made some progress this summer, despite the heat here in RI.
I've been planning to post more pics soon. Here are some pics of the vinyl roof removal. I was able to remove the vinyl and maybe can use them again.
I was wondering what caused this little ridge at the top.

It looks like the lead solder came loose.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 7:45pm
Simple, vinyl tops... that was probably from two things sloppy seam weld and filler, along with the top trapping humidity.

For some reason the A pillar is prone, and my 71 driver side has been damaged. May be from road tilt through years of being driven through its life span before purchase by me.

My 73 had a big glob of filler at the front drip rail a few inches from the drop down the A pillar. It was not a vinyl top, but oddly the body guy did not bother before paint hit It.

Obviously the trim guy did not seem bothered by it, as he's still could install the trim along the drip rail without chipping the nicely painted glob.

Edited by 304-dude - Nov/12/2018 at 7:48pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 6:52am
Well, they were probably in a hurry when they where doing the roof.
Here are some more pics of the vinyl roof removal. I used a paint stripper to get rid of the adhesive.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 6:55am
I used a a few coats orange Citristrip Gel to get rid of the adhesive.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 6:57am
There was some bubbling under the vinyl. It looks like some surface rust was starting to form.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 8:35pm
Here is the black vinyl that I was able to remove. I was wondering if it makes sense to try and reuse them again.  

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 9:26pm
Don't think you would have much luck re-using the vinyl. Doubt you would ever get it flat enough and be long enough to trim off after it was glued. 

Just my $ .02 ...free of charge.........

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 20>
  Share Topic