TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 8:33pm
This car that I used to store the engine and transmission is so rusty that you need a tetanus shot just to look at it. But it's a testament to AMC engineering that it hasn't collapsed in on itself. 

And the transmission came out with no problems. Just some hand tools and a floor jack.

It should clean up nicely.

Next I'll be removing the pressure plate and flywheel. I plan on the tranny in a 304 car.

And then. sometime in the future I'll be removing the 401.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 7:19am
Looking good Tom, Nice car enjoying the thread..

B.P.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 7:24am
Ah, progress. What's not to like. Interesting thread. Keep it up.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 6:09pm
Fun project, I'm envious! 
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 7:41pm
Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's a lot of work, but AMC did a great job of engineering. So, someone like me with very little experience can actually work on a project like this. My biggest problem is coming up with the cash to carry it through. I have some rare parts to sell, but I have no idea what to charge. I'd like to make some money, but I don't want to rip any of the members off. It's a tough one.
Like, how much I could get something like this?

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 10:34pm
Agree, the white car you are putting back on the road was in exceptional condition.
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 6:01am
Thanks,  PHAT69AMX. It's funny, I see that you are in West Virginia. I took a chance and bought the white car on Ebay. It was located in West Virginia. I was truly blessed that it turned out to be an unmolested survivor. I had no idea how straight it was till I got it home. The original owner kept it garage until she passed away about 10 years ago.
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 10:07am
Nice project. Gonna be a badass car. If I were you I'd put a 3/8 gas line on that car while it's apart   
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 2:14pm
3/8" gas line, eh? Does someone sell that or would I have to fabricate it myself? The gas line I took off the car seems to be 5/16".
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 2:21pm
Over the weekend I took the rear windows out of the rust bucket. They're tinted, so I wanted to use them in the white car. The weather stripping is shot though.

I did find these online for about $45.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>
  Share Topic