TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1971 Javelin SST
    Posted: Jul/07/2017 at 8:43pm
Hey Guys, purchased this low mileage Javelin off of the internet awhile back. It's time to start taking her apart to check for rust damage. Apparently, the car was purchased new by a lady who held on to it for her whole life. She passed away about 10 years ago. The car was garaged while she owned it. Its a 304 cid car with a column shift automatic and dual exhaust. Manual drum brakes and power steering. All the trim pieces are intact and in good shape. There is known rust behind the passenger rear tire, but I'm sure I'll find more.
The car passed through a couple of more owners before I bought it. It should be a fun, if not cheap, project.
Here are a few photos.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2017 at 11:57pm
Nice! Same kind of project I've got going with my '72 SST w/304 and manual drums. (You can see my project thread here too.)

Bruce Carothers, who won the Teague award last year, restored his gorgeous AMX without ever taking the engine out of the car, so that's shown me what can be done if you start with a solid car and give it some elbow grease.

Your car will look nice with some Magnum 500 or Machine wheels on it.

Edited by CamJam - Jul/08/2017 at 12:03am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 8:20am
Damn fine looking car.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 4:14pm
CamJam, I checked out your car, very nice, I like your interior color, the color of my car is green, I'm going to change it to the tan color. The Machine wheels would look good. I've got some from another Javelin AMX I used to own back in the 80's. I only had it for about a year. here's a pic.

MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 1:13am
Good to see another 71 Javelin rescued. I like the color combo of white exterior and blue interior. Keep the pictures coming. 
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 1:54pm
I'm glad I found this site. I lot of good support and helpful ideas here.
I've got a picture of the engine compartment here. It's a 304, it runs great, with only 60,000 miles. I think someone must have put dual exhaust on it in the past. It sounds great but I don't think it was offered from the factory.

Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 12:33pm
I'm still in the process of taking the car apart. Fortunately, after I let everything soak for awhile with penetrating liquid, things are coming apart without much trouble.
Here is a picture of the front bumper being removed.

Here' s a picture of the rear after the bumper has been removed.

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2017 at 12:48pm
looks like a solid car to start with! Your 72 AMX was pretty cool, too! Glad you kept those rims!
AMO Newsletter Editor
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 2:10pm
Here is a picture of the cowl induction hood that I've been holding on to for the last 30 plus years. There is some damage to the drivers side front, but I'm sure it can be repaired. I plan on painting in white with the gold/fade to black T-stripe.

And here is a picture of one of the Machine rims. this ones in the best shape and then they get mych worse from here. A lot of rust around the outer rims.

Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2017 at 8:57pm
I spent some time removing the black side stripe. It was pretty beat up from the door dings. I was able to see the original white paint under the stripe. I'm afraid it looks like the car hasn't been waxed in over ten years, judging by how much the paint has dulled. I'm not sure it can be brought back. And there lies my problem.  The car is in such good original condition, I'm torn between preserving it or doing a complete restoration. I'm leaning toward making it a driver now and doing the restoration after I retire, in about 6 or 7 years.

I was able to remove all of the stripe except for a small section that was painted on. The original stripe most have been damaged in the past.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic