TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Javelin AC recirc control cable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1971 Javelin AC recirc control cable
    Posted: Dec/07/2019 at 10:55am
Can anyone verify if the control cable running over to the recirc air damper under the passenger side of the dash is the same for AC cars and non-AC cars?

I only have an example of a non-AC setup, and those don't recirc but just block the fan inlet. On AC cars I expect they wanted the system to flow all of the time so the evap coil doesn't freeze, so they used a recirc damper instead that blended fresh air and interior air.

Here's the non-AC setup. You can see the cable I'm talking about running from the control panel to the fan inlet damper on the passenger side. The loose cable with finger control and bracket connected at the far right is for fresh air.

The parts manual is really confusing on this setup, and I think their breakdown drawing even has the cables labeled incorrectly. They also indicate this cable to exist only with AC, but it's going to be there for both I believe, just serving a slightly different function.

What I'm really trying to figure out is if that cable is the same for both AC and non-AC cars, because if it's different then I need to hunt an AC version down to use as a template in order to be able to make up complete cable sets. If it doesn't change then the same set of cables would work for both AC and non-AC cars, which seems like what they were trying to accomplish in 1971 by using the evap housing as the centerpiece in both systems.

Thanks!

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Dec/07/2019 at 10:58am
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2019 at 1:13pm
Ac is different. It uses vacuum to open the damper. The vacuum motor is similar to the ram air flapper. You'll need the vent switch to connect with a vacuum T as well.

Would show you my disassembled stuff, but it's packed away for winter.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2019 at 3:04pm
I believe you are thinking of the damper controlling AC flow to the dash vents. That's not what I'm trying to figure out though - I'm looking upstream of that, in fact even upstream of the blower fan itself, in the fan housing, not the evaporator housing.

What you are describing I believe is 13.020-1 in the diagram below. My question is in the area of 13.017-24, which is listed under "Attaching Parts, Cable to Damper" as a "Nut, Push" part number 400 0271. But there again I think the parts manual is incorrect, as the part they are pointing to is really a 13.017-24b, which is the standard "Clip, Cable to Control" part number 400 0417 used to clamp down the cables.

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Dec/07/2019 at 3:10pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic