TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Gremlin Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AmeriMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmeriMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2011 at 11:38am
Cool car.  Reminds me of a '71 Gremlin (blue) 232-3 speed that I had back in the day.
larue390@comcast.net
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2011 at 11:49am
Right Scott! I'll park it next to Will's AMX in the parking lot!

From what I have found this is an early 71 car. Date codes on the fan and radiator are August and June of 1970. Earliest I found were march of 70 on the gas tank hose clamps, but they probably had those in bulk. Unfortunately when the driver' door was replaced the date of mfg tag was lost. Hopefully I can get close with date coding parts and using the sequence number from the door tag.

I also thought this was a 130,000 mile car, but after taking it apart I think it is a 30,000 mile car. All the shifter and clutch parts show no wear - both the metal and plastic parts. It has the original delco coil, the tag is still on the front springs, and other than the nylon bushings being worn, the door hinges are very tight. The hinge pins show no wear all! The interior was pretty well trashed, but I think that is just the CA sun.
AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2011 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

The interior was pretty well trashed, but I think that is just the CA sun.

Did you ever see the interior of my CA car - the little SX/4?
Talk about trashed, but then, since the seat belt was extended, 3 springs broke (both rear and left front), the seat frames in several pieces, etc. - I suspect a PO was about 500 pounds - that doesn't help a small car any.  But the CA sun baked the paint off all horizontal surfaces outside, and baked the interior. Window weatherstrip would have make snap, crackle and pop proud.
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2011 at 1:19pm
Bill- he WAS about 500 lbs!! LOL, seriously.....

Yes, the sun here is heck on anything not metal- i have thought about buying parts cars from the east , and using all the soft parts on my rot free cars
Oroville, Ca
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2011 at 1:30pm
That is the funny thing - nice interior stuff is easy to find out here. We rarely see interiors as trashed as this one was! Then again, our cars are usually swiss cheese compared to CA metal. Getting a west coast car is well worth the extra expense of shipping in my opinion.
AMO Newsletter Editor
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2011 at 7:22pm
The prevailing wisdom is to buy a body from the southwest or west coast and get an interior from the northeast or upper middle regions--that way you get the best of both!
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 7:42am
Making progress on the interior. I picked up this dashboard from jroemer via rebel68 at GAD, and redid it and good crash pad I had in red. (click thumbnails for full size versions)

Also refinished my NOS brown steering wheel to red

REM used my glovebox liner as a template and made a new liner.

And mocked up some dash parts (the gauge cover is the old one, still need a new one in a little better shape for this project) I am thinking I may try to put the dash together and install in one piece instead of in the car. I've never done it this way, but I am fairly confident the factory did.

NOS Command Air heater controls

AMO Newsletter Editor
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:25am
That looks great but you've got a 72-up center bezel in that dash...

Edited by 71SC360 - Jun/16/2011 at 8:27am
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:28am
Is the radio cutout the difference? My 71 center has a small crack, but it is repairable.
AMO Newsletter Editor
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2011 at 8:32am
In 72 they started using a larger radio so it has a larger cutout along the bottom of the opening and the right side radio knob opening has the raised loop in the hole. 70 & 71 didn't have those....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
  Share Topic