TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 Gremlin Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2011 at 10:49pm
Awesome car Ian!   sure reminds me of my '72.........................noticed that the front bumper has the 'guards'.....but not on the back bumper..........My car had those on it, and I think those are hard to find in good condition.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2011 at 7:25am
Thanks guys. I really like the firs generation hornets and gremlins, and this one always stood out to me too. I really like the red interior with the individual buckets in particular, and first year 258 combined with the last year for many other things appealed to me. The glovebox (or lack of) was another!

I'll second (or third) that Dennis (AMCKIDD) is great to work with and the car was exactly as described. This car is very untouched original car which makes it so much easier to start on.

I've already collected a bunch of nice NOS parts and some great used parts, but I still have a list of few things I'm looking for. I'll post in the wanted section this morning. My good friend Craven has also generously loaned me his rotisserie, so project creep has already sunk in.

Reeves - that 69 ambassador is a pretty nice car actually - way too nice and complete to part so we saved it. It could be yours very cheap!

Edited by kirkwood - Apr/29/2011 at 7:46am
AMO Newsletter Editor
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2011 at 8:35am
Some updates on the project!

The car is down to a roller (except the dash, which will come out tomorrow night). Next I'll be soda blasting the exterior, removing the damaged valance and doing some minor body fixes, then get it on the rotisserie and get ready for paint!

Working on a California car is so much better than a midwest car. Even the exhaust bolts came right off without penetrating oil. The only rust I've found is a small amount by the battery tray.

This is an oddly optioned car. It is a base 4-seater Gremlin with 13" wheels and standard wheel covers, but it has the big 258 (first year for the 258). It has a single lift strut, but does have the interior appearance package (carpet, high back buckets, deluxe steering wheel)and light group. It doesn't have the glovebox door, which I believe is a 70-71 only option. I sent the original liner to REM and they will be reproducing it. I've also talked with legendary, and they will be using my rear seat as a pattern to offer a cover for the rear seat on the gremlin, too.

(sorry for the poor pics, they were taken with my cell phone. I have a ton of camera pics, just haven' downloaded them yet. pics are also before engine, bumper gas tank etc was pulled)

interior:

Here is the first batch of interior parts I've refinished. I'm using SEM Color Coat (NAPA Red is a perfect match for the dark red 71 interior). The arm rests were green, and one of the seat corners was blue. I was really worried about recoloring such dark pieces, but everything came out great. Color Coat is a pretty involved process with all the prep steps, but the results are incredible. I have a green dash and dash pad to do yet, black seat backs and an NOS brown steering wheel to turn red.

Edited by kirkwood - Jun/01/2011 at 8:36am
AMO Newsletter Editor
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2011 at 12:25pm
im VERY interested in seeing what that weirdness is in the tail panel- 
it makes me very happy to see it returning to its former glory, and i Agree- it was one strange optioned car- 
 you GOTTA love the lack of rot- even the floor looks great!
Oroville, Ca
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2011 at 12:37pm
Forgot to mention that part. This car was clearly wrecked at some point early in it's life. The driver's quarter is an NOS replacement, and the rear panel was replaced from the driver's side over to the passenger taillight. They made an overlapped seem just to the left of the taillight. The drivers door was also replaced with a factory replacement part, but the driver's fender is original to the car. They reattached the door tag with standard rivets, but the build date tag never made it over.

There is zero sign of any frame or inner structure/under carriage damage, so I am thinking it must have been cosmetic damage.

The only changes I plan to make to the car is to switch it to Quicksilver metallic, add correct '71 style power steering, add front disc brakes and run 71 magnum 500 style rims with polyglas tires. I'm thinking I may mount a set of 13" tires too so I can give it that original look if I want. It will look a lot like the '71 catalog car when complete.

AMO Newsletter Editor
Mountainmoron View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2011 at 2:45pm
Simplicity = beauty.

I love it!
'69 AMX 390EFI, AMO #9412
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2011 at 4:21pm
did you ever figure out what the 3 holes on either side of rear window were for ?
Oroville, Ca
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2011 at 7:43am
Got the car powerwashed yesterday and off ot the body shop. I'm having a friend install an NOS front valance and fix a few small metal issues. I hope to have it back by the beginning of July.

AMO Newsletter Editor
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2011 at 10:02am
That'll give you a whole month to finish it for Kenosha!
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2011 at 10:43am
Great looking car...............alot better shape than mine is......lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic