TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1971 borg warner,automatic console shift linkage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 borg warner,automatic console shift linkage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 11:45am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Originally posted by jeremy0711 jeremy0711 wrote:

You have tranny shifter linkages and you have a safety feature that requires linkage from the tranny shifter lever(on the transmission-this is the same place the console shifting linkage attaches to on the transmission) to the steering column. From the Matadors and stuff in that later era that I have seen that there is a series of rods that lay in place in relation to the clutch z bar to the steering column. I think the early 70s Javelins and such just had a single rod. Someone would have to verify that though as it may still have these rods on the early 70s stuff. These things were taken out of most brand cars for some reason per their owners. if you leave the rod out then you need to lock the lever on the lower portion of your column outside the firewall in the upmost position. If you don't then you will have a heck of a time getting your key out when it falls down to the lowest point. This can also be accomplished inside of your car too. If you turn the lower section of your column just below your wheel(rounded portion below turn signal area) back and forth then you will figure out how to get you key out. This part is connected to the rod on the other side of the firewall that connects to the trans linkage and not the console shifter. If you had a column shifter then this lower collar on your column would have a shifter lever and then it would be connected to the trans to shift gears.   

Yes, the early 70's Javelins only had a single rod from the shifter. As the shifter counter lever's end was under the hump and outside the vehicle. There would be no way to activate the tab on the column as there is no hole at the firewall that would allow linkage from the tranny to be used for such key issues.

Now I had a replacement key made that stuck every once and a while with the 73 tilt column. But it was from a bad copy.

It seems like peeps are confusing the lever at the ignition switch to the function of the 68 - 69 Javelins as the tumbler did not have a thumb lever to release the key.

I am done, as I am blue in the face from trying to explain such a trivial matter.

304 dude....

As I stated that the safety feature attached to the transmission linkage on the tranny and not the shifter itself. From the shifter of the console was a rod that went to the transmission which attached a bracket that allowed you to select what gear you choose in the transmission. On that same bracket, ON THE TRANSMISSION, is another hole for the rod for the safety features that goes to the steering column. Now, that I paid better attention to the picture above I see that the early 70 cars were like the 70 AMX/Javelin and other brands that had just one rod and not a series of rods for the safety feature. Your car would have had this on it too at one point.     
71-SST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 71-SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 4:05pm
The 70-71 parts pic Western Red provided shows exactly how my 71 javelin is set up.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 9:34pm
Yes mate, I don't know how people can argue against what is in the factory parts manual. The picture clearly shows it is for 70-71. There is no such linkage on the earlier cars and it appears that it was dropped when the torqueflyte transmission was introduced.
htonysv1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htonysv1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 5:07am
thanks for the reply,Now how does the rod connect to the shifter? I think I might be missing a part   that connects it to the shifter its self.again thanks for the replys

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 7:30am
The selector lever that goes into the side of the box (part 16.225-1 in the picture) conects to the rod from the shift lever at one end and the park lock rod at the other, if you have an earlier transmission this selector lever will only go up (floor shift) or down (column shift) and not have connections at both ends as shown in the manual. Maybe you should post up a few pictures of what you have so it's a bit easier for us to help you.
htonysv1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htonysv1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2013 at 8:54pm
Thanks alot Jeremy and Western red,I just found the pic of the rods you posted .It answered my question,hope to have it hooked up,and the gas tank in this weekend.Again thanks for your time and infomation told me every thing i needed to know
74 Bricklin 71 javelin 66 impala convertiable                            
71-SST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71-SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 7:40am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

It is certainly a factory arrangement, the parts manual refers to it as the "park lock rod", I'd suggest without reading the manual that it is a mechanism to prevent you from removing the ignition key unless park is selected. AMC were years ahead of their time with a lot of this stuff.

Your posting 68 - 70 console automatic shifter information. Totally different.

Neither of my Javelins had that. 71 SST and 73 both from original owners and pretty much 90% original.

Again, the 71 - 74 console shifter has no provisions to actuate anything to the steering column.
  I would guess both not original or both have been altered.
71-SST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71-SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2015 at 7:51am
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2018 at 12:01pm
Does anyone have a diagram like this but for a 74 Javelin with 904/988 automatic?

Need to see how the long rod mounts that connects the shift level to the transmission linkage. For some reason mine is not fitting not matter how I position it so I am definitely doing something wrong.

Thanks
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by fmahannah fmahannah wrote:

Does anyone have a diagram like this but for a 74 Javelin with 904/988 automatic?

Need to see how the long rod mounts that connects the shift level to the transmission linkage. For some reason mine is not fitting not matter how I position it so I am definitely doing something wrong.

Thanks

Billd, just got done with his 73 console, he has a 727, but... his rod was the wrong size, even though it was sold for the application to him.

He had to increase from 8 inches by welding to get another 8 inches.

IMO 8 inch rod is too short even for my 71 BW, which as about 15-1/2" or so inches end to end with adjustable pivot head.

If you post your question to billd's thread, he may take some pictures to give you an idea, even though it is a 727.

On thing you can do is use a coat hanger and make a mock up of its length and make measurements, if creating your own. If needing a shrift selector arm, that is another story.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic