TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1971 borg warner,automatic console shift linkage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1971 borg warner,automatic console shift linkage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 7:36am
I have a 71 auto console. Only one rod at the shift lever, no rod at the steering column. I removed my original myself, and only had to disconnect the wiring, uncouple the rag joint, and unbolt the column's mounting collar and firewall brackets to remove, nothing else.

Something is odd about your setup. Like I said in my first reply, somebody had converted the automatic shifting from column.
71-SST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 71-SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 7:53am
Did your original have the lever on the bottom of the tube assembly? I have another column (tilt) from a 73 Javelin floorshift with the same lever.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 8:04am
No lever what so ever. The only thing that the shifter controlled in operation is the rod going to the tranny's gear selector and the neutral safety switch for starting and reverse lights.
71-SST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71-SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 8:09am
Need a parts book to clear this up maybe.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 8:17am
A TSM, but it is limited in pictures, as it does not cover all the options in detail.

Maybe someone with a exploded parts diagram will add to this thread.

I had a 73 Javelin with console as well, both columns seemed identical but no tab as you speak of. If there was a tab, it was not used and nothing to show it was ever used.

The console shifter should not interfere with steering column function and visa-versa. AMC did not incorporate lockout to the console shifted Javelins.

I have shortened a 68 AMX column, and noted that during alignment and assembly of the cut tubes. That there is provisions (opening on the outer tube) to allow column shifting linkage near the base before the spring and bearing. I did not need to do the alignment but wanted it to look proper.

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/22/2013 at 8:21am
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 9:27am
It is certainly a factory arrangement, the parts manual refers to it as the "park lock rod", I'd suggest without reading the manual that it is a mechanism to prevent you from removing the ignition key unless park is selected. AMC were years ahead of their time with a lot of this stuff.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 9:46am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

It is certainly a factory arrangement, the parts manual refers to it as the "park lock rod", I'd suggest without reading the manual that it is a mechanism to prevent you from removing the ignition key unless park is selected. AMC were years ahead of their time with a lot of this stuff.

Your posting 68 - 70 console automatic shifter information. Totally different.

Neither of my Javelins had that. 71 SST and 73 both from original owners and pretty much 90% original.

Again, the 71 - 74 console shifter has no provisions to actuate anything to the steering column.
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 10:04am
You have tranny shifter linkages and you have a safety feature that requires linkage from the tranny shifter lever(on the transmission-this is the same place the console shifting linkage attaches to on the transmission) to the steering column. From the Matadors and stuff in that later era that I have seen that there is a series of rods that lay in place in relation to the clutch z bar to the steering column. I think the early 70s Javelins and such just had a single rod. Someone would have to verify that though as it may still have these rods on the early 70s stuff. These things were taken out of most brand cars for some reason per their owners. if you leave the rod out then you need to lock the lever on the lower portion of your column outside the firewall in the upmost position. If you don't then you will have a heck of a time getting your key out when it falls down to the lowest point. This can also be accomplished inside of your car too. If you turn the lower section of your column just below your wheel(rounded portion below turn signal area) back and forth then you will figure out how to get you key out. This part is connected to the rod on the other side of the firewall that connects to the trans linkage and not the console shifter. If you had a column shifter then this lower collar on your column would have a shifter lever and then it would be connected to the trans to shift gears.   
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 10:12am
Originally posted by jeremy0711 jeremy0711 wrote:

You have tranny shifter linkages and you have a safety feature that requires linkage from the tranny shifter lever(on the transmission-this is the same place the console shifting linkage attaches to on the transmission) to the steering column. From the Matadors and stuff in that later era that I have seen that there is a series of rods that lay in place in relation to the clutch z bar to the steering column. I think the early 70s Javelins and such just had a single rod. Someone would have to verify that though as it may still have these rods on the early 70s stuff. These things were taken out of most brand cars for some reason per their owners. if you leave the rod out then you need to lock the lever on the lower portion of your column outside the firewall in the upmost position. If you don't then you will have a heck of a time getting your key out when it falls down to the lowest point. This can also be accomplished inside of your car too. If you turn the lower section of your column just below your wheel(rounded portion below turn signal area) back and forth then you will figure out how to get you key out. This part is connected to the rod on the other side of the firewall that connects to the trans linkage and not the console shifter. If you had a column shifter then this lower collar on your column would have a shifter lever and then it would be connected to the trans to shift gears.   

Yes, the early 70's Javelins only had a single rod from the shifter. As the shifter counter lever's end was under the hump and outside the vehicle. There would be no way to activate the tab on the column as there is no hole at the firewall that would allow linkage from the tranny to be used for such key issues.

Now I had a replacement key made that stuck every once and a while with the 73 tilt column. But it was from a bad copy.

It seems like peeps are confusing the lever at the ignition switch to the function of the 68 - 69 Javelins as the tumbler did not have a thumb lever to release the key.

I am done, as I am blue in the face from trying to explain such a trivial matter.

target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 10:34am
I believe the purpose was to put the car in reverse if manual or park if auto. The linkage would move the column shroud thus locking the car transmission in that position when the ignition was turned off. The shifter would not move until the key was turned on again to release the locking mechanism.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic