TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 Javelin T5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 10:43am
Thanks for all the well wishes.
I need some advice and ideas on what I can and can`t do with this car.
These are some of the things I would like to do.
I would like to put either a 4 speed or 5 speed tranny into it. It has 3 speed in it now.

I would like to swap out the rear end ,I have a rear end sitting under the bench out of a Ford Ranger. will this fit? Or is there something that will fit better with less modifying ?

I am having a brake issue.
I swapped out the front drums brakes to a rotor and caliper set up.
I have fluid every where but still no real pedal pressure to speak of. I just ordered a disc brake master this last weekend, I should have it by Tuesday. Do I need to swap out the booster too?

I would also like to add a rac and pinon steering set up.

In the next 2 weeks I plan on pulling off the front end and having it sand blasted  and primed.

Should I start rebuilding the wire harness while I have it out of the car? Or can I get away with the old one?
The plan is to put a GM one wire Alternator in this year.
Wiring is not an issue for me, I kind of like doing it.
In time i want add some of todays modern comforts to the car without changing the way it looks.
Thanks Paul

Edited by emspaul - Apr/14/2013 at 12:00pm
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by emspaul emspaul wrote:

Thanks for all the well wishes.
I need some advice and ideas on what I can and can`t do with this car.
These are some of the things I would like to do.
I would like to put either a 4 speed or 5 speed tranny into it. It has 3 speed in it now.

My Javelin has a Mustang T5 in it. It's a simple swap, do a search on the internet or read the transmission section on the forums, lots of good information around. You'll need the correct bellhousing from a later AMC with a SR4 four speed or the multi pattern bell. Lots of other trans swaps available too, depends on how much power the engine will make.

I would like to swap out the rear end ,I have a rear end sitting under the bench out of a Ford Ranger. will this fit? Or is there something that will fit better with less modifying ?

Don't know for sure about this swap, the corporate 20 can be rebuilt to handle more power by getting one piece axles.

I am having a brake issue.
I swapped out the front drums brakes to a rotor and caliper set up.
I have fluid every where but still no real pedal pressure to speak of. I just ordered a disc brake master this last weekend, I should have it by Tuesday. Do I need to swap out the booster too?

Wrong master does make a difference. You'll need a proportioning valve for the rear. Yes the power booster for disc brakes is a different one than drums.

I would also like to add a rac and pinon steering set up.

Check out Control Freaks suspension components for Javelins

In the next 2 weeks I plan on pulling off the front end and having it sand blasted  and primed.

Should I start rebuilding the wire harness while I have it out of the car? Or can I get away with the old one?

Wiring is better off being replaced with all new much safer that way.

The plan is to put a GM one wire Alternator in this year.
Wiring is not an issue for me, I kind of like doing it.
In time i want add some of todays modern comforts to the car without changing the way it looks.

I've got some of the same thoughts about this part. Cruise control and better seats would be great.
Thanks Paul

Your welcome,   ARMAND

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Apr/15/2013 at 6:50pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
emspaul View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 8:19pm
Thanks Armand
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 7:39am

What Arand said.

I too installed a Mustang T5 in place of my T10 4sp easy swap. I just cannot tell you how it runs as I have not had it on the road yet but everyone loves them.

You should have a corporate 20 rear and it is strong with an 8-7/8” ring gear. As said the weak link is the axles and if you go with 1 piece you will be all set. Yes I run Moser axles in my drag car with slicks.

My street car had 4 piston disc on it so all I did was swap to 83 Concord calipers. Drag car went from power 4 drum setup to man. Disc from a 76 Gremlin – master/pedals/disc setup. After the new disc master if you still have issues post up in the brake area what you have done and what the issues are and we will try and help.

For the R&P there is not “bolt in kit” without replacing everything up front. The Control Freaks set up I think is the way to go.  My drag car I pulled the power box for a man. Box from a mid 80”s S10 4x4. When I get the street car on the road if I don’t like the feel of the power box I will have it rebuilt with quicker ratio parts.

Wiring: Drag car I pulled out the stock wire and ran new for what I needed. Street car I pulled the harness out so I could check it over. It was in good shape other than under hood for the ALT & REG as the PO installed a GM ALT and did a hack job. Once fixed everything works as should and looks good too. Don’t go with 1 wire do a search to find out why.

Modern comfort? Well the street car is a little more on the hidden custom side. The GM ALT is done and looks stock, front & rear sway bars w/ KYB shocks, headers & duel pipes – yea none hidden really. Custom dash overlay and gauges the look stock when you first look at them. Outside lighting will be LED with custom head/turn/driving lights that look stock, same out back. I also have others but don’t want to give them away just yet ;) and yes both the drag & street cars are 70 Javelins

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
emspaul View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 8:20pm
Okay,
I have been looking around and can find Mustang T5, But the question is what bell housing ,will the front shaft line up with the 304 clutch and throw out bearing?
I would like to have all of the parts at the shop before I start. Would hate to start it and go OH S&^* I need another piece .
Pulled the car out of storage on Monday and put it up in the air tonight. I could not find any Axle tags on the rear end, but I did a bolt count, It has 12 bolts on the rear cover? Does this help me identify what axle is in there?Tomorrow night I plan on looking at the brake issue.
Paul
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 9:01pm
I moved this topic to Transmission & Drivetrain because things seemed to be heading in this direction!

Paul Mittermaier

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by emspaul emspaul wrote:

Okay,
I have been looking around and can find Mustang T5, But the question is what bell housing ,will the front shaft line up with the 304 clutch and throw out bearing?
I would like to have all of the parts at the shop before I start. Would hate to start it and go OH S&^* I need another piece .
Pulled the car out of storage on Monday and put it up in the air tonight. I could not find any Axle tags on the rear end, but I did a bolt count, It has 12 bolts on the rear cover? Does this help me identify what axle is in there?Tomorrow night I plan on looking at the brake issue.
Paul
They should make this a sticky. Here is the list I used to do my swap.

Bell Housing: - AMC Bellhousing from an SR-4 or T4 or T5 equipped car. This could be anything from 1977 and up, including Eagles! you need the 6 1/2" bell
   (Note, there are TWO variations: a 6½" deep bell and an 8" deep bell. Former is 6-cyl, latter is 8-cyl.)

Trans Mount: Trans mount, local parts store. 73 Mustang application  Crossmember: stock AMC, moved to rearmost holes, fabbed adapter between cross member & tranny mount Tranny mount: 73 Mustang

Clutch Assy.: 77 Jeep V8 application  

spec'ed for a 78 304 Jeep   disc, pressure plate, TO bearing. Must have 1 1/16” hub NOT the 1 1/8”

Driveshaft: stock t-10 shaft with a T-5 yoke, hybrid u joint
Speedo cable: stock T-10 speedo cable
Clutch linkage: stock T-10
Reverse lights: two simple jumpers connect the T-5 switch to factory wiring
Steering column interlock: My '70 has the must be in reverse to remove the key interlock. There's no waty to make this work with the T-5. No great loss.
Transmission: Ford Motorsports T-5 Z Beginning Year 1979 Ending year 1993

As far as pilot bushings are concerned, I went to Dormans website and looked around. It is a very informative site, as it gives ID's,OD's, and lengths of the pilot bushings. From what I see, It appears that you have to use the SR4 pilot bushing. Can anyone confirm this? My trans is a 1352-169.

ID          OD         Length       Dorman #

SR4            .673       1.056        .626          690-043

AMC T5       .592        1.055       .624           690-064

Ford T5       .680        1.378       .733           690-083

Fuzz, The pilot bushing I used was part # PB-76HD. I can't remember the manufacturer, but I did get it at Advance Auto. The one that came with my clutch set looked like trash, so i did not use it.

Scott

Goggle info I found.

BCA/NATIONAL Part # PB76HD {Bushing O.D.=1.0555" Width=0.63" Bore=0.673"}
Category: Clutch Pilot Bushing

Dave ----

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Apr/17/2013 at 9:16pm

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 9:21pm
I do not know how much searching of posts for this but the only thing not listed is you need to mod the mustang front bearing support or buy one for an AMC Jeep. I bought the Jeep one because finding a machine shop around here to mod the ford one is out and the Jeep one is stronger as it is all steel not alum like the ford one.
Dave ----

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Apr/18/2013 at 7:20pm

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 9:24am
What Dave said,
and if you need parts for the T5 here's a great source with great information on the rebuild.   http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/?q=node/3

Dave, I think the pilot bushing is the same one from a Jeep with a 304 in it and a 3 speed manual, OReilly #PB76HD. Napa has them too as I'm sure others parts suppliers do.

The clutch pressure plate is an AMC unit from the V8s or a Chev V8 unit is the same. The clutch disc can be from a Ford V8 as long as it is the correct diameter, 10-1/2" and has the 1-1/16 10 spline hub.

The are stamped numbers on the center section of the rear axle. IIRC they are stamped onto the drivers side by the area of the mating surface of the cover. I can't remember what the codes mean or how to determine by the codes if it's Twip grip. Twin grip equipped cars had a decal sticker on the inside of the trunk lid describing what not to do when one tire is off the gorund. Chances are it is not twin grip, but a twin grip from any AMC 20 rear end will swap in or aftermarket units too. There are three different units iirc for different ratio ring and pinion.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
69amxman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69amxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 6:26pm
If your going with the new t5 z trans be sure to measure your bearing retainer as I had to cut mine down , found out the hard way the clutch will weld it self to the retainer not a good thing , I used the 6.5 bell it's a 69 343 amx was auto now 5 speed all worth it in the end
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic