TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 Javelin Fix Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 6:27am
Good score on thar interior!!!!!!!!!Keep up with the pics....
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 7:04am
love the progress!!!

Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 9:22am
Looking good. I have to agree with Jim on the interior, that was a great find and even better deal.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 9:41am
So far looking good. Great score on the interior. Keep the pics a comin.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

DrNoose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrNoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 10:32pm
Received a CARE (or is it CAR?) package from my brother last night. He is restoring a 1970 Javelin 360 4-speed car I sold him a few years ago (he twisted my arm hard to get it), and he had a few spare parts. He is so much more meticulous than I am..when he is done it will be one of the nicest 70 models around. Mine will be a driver...his will be a show car.

Let us see what he sent...until I opened it I had no idea for the most part.

Big honking box! That is always a good sign!

First thing out...two good sail panels! These I did ask him about as it turns out the ones that came with that green interior were cracked and missing pieces. Good clean up and paint and they are ready to go. BTW...anyone found a match for AMC interior green in a spray can?

Next up...two good headlight doors. Woo-hoo! The remains of mine are pretty shabby.

What is this? Another base model instrument cluster? That is good, as my bezel has minor cracks..but lo and behold, this one has the low fuel light relay and wiring! Yes!

Oh man I needed these...several of mine are broken.

Good side marker lights! Mine are missing or nasty. Right now I am glad he is going show car...his cast offs will look great on my car!

I now have two complete sets of 1970 Javelin hubcaps. I think these look great on the car. Besides...my first jav had these! Little paint and as good as new!

A nice taillight! How did he know?

There were some other odds and ends that I needed as well in there. Christmas came early for me this year. I am rapidly approaching the point of having all the hard to find parts I need.

BTW...does anyone have a picture of a stock Jav with the three speed floor shift? I need to see how the shifter boot is supposed to look. Never have seen a correct one!
DrNoose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrNoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 11:54pm
Not too much to report tonight. Got the rear brakes and shocks done.

Dang, that hub looks like crap. Oh well, nobody will see it once the hubcap is back on. Turns out that I have a broken third leaf on the driver's side leaf. How did a 6 cylinder car get so beat up? Time for a new set.

Also dropped the gas tank today. Look what I found when I did.

Yep. Besides a huge amount of dirt, a rusty screwdriver sitting on top of the tank! How the heck did it get there? Wonder if it has been there for 42 years. The tank is nasty, and has a big dent in it. I am going to send it, and the radiator I got from the interior guy, to be repaired.

Other thing I did today was roll it out and hose it all down with a pressure washer, inside and out. So nasty!
DrNoose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrNoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 7:44pm
Some progress this weekend. The gas tank and the radiator were taken to the shop for repair. Gas tank will be boiled and sealed. Radiator will be boiled and pressure tested. Hopefully it will not need a recoring. It was one of the radiators that came with my $800 interior purchase.

Also finished patching up the holes in the drivers side floorboard. This picture gives you some idea of where I started.

And here it is all patched up. My welding skills are average at best, and there are always a few holes left, so I seam seal up the entire weld area. There were a few tiny pinholes that got a glob of seam sealer on them as well. It is good and solid now...I jumped up and down on it, and it did not budge...that is just surface rust on there now.

bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 8:11pm
if you need more driver quality stuff {ie...lenses etc,etc...pm me..i might have extra stuffWink}btw..doin a nice job!Thumbs Up

Edited by bigbadgreen - Dec/16/2012 at 8:13pm
DrNoose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrNoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2012 at 9:10pm
Thank you! I may take you up on it as I go forward on this rebuild.

Dan
DrNoose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrNoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 4:29pm
First, Merry Christmas Y'all!Got off of work a few hours early today, and it is warm, so I decided to tackle the engine and find out if it would live or not. Took out the spark plugs..

Uh oh. I have used anti-oil fouling extenders before, but never on each cylinder! Not a good start.

Let us take off the intake/exhaust....

Mouse nest in the engine?!?!? I am starting to think that I might have issues here. Wink

What is under the valve cover?

Eewwww...not only is this disgusting, but it smells terrible! Off with the rockers and the head...

And there it is..one dead engine. Big honking ridge around each cylinder. I will pull it later this week. I am sure the clutch is shot too. This car was ridden to death with extreme prejudice.

So, how much is a rebuild running on these early 232s? Another option is a '69 rambler for sale here locally. Could throw the engine and tranny into this car (might be a 1`99 though). Opinions?

Thanks for reading!
Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
  Share Topic