TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 Javelin Fix Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 4:26pm
it's amazing how screwed up a "project" car {compared to odometer mile 000001 = original stock} can get over a period of time....almost like it took supreme amounts of energy invested to get to the current state of chaos.....

And 2X the energy to "undo" the chaos....

DrNoose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrNoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 9:55pm
I was out in the garage cleaning up around the Javelin tonight, and I thought "this stinks...lets go play on the computer"! So, here are a few more pictures of the car when I brought it home.

Me hosing off a thick layer of crap, and getting up under the wheel wells to clean out the wasp nests. Even looking this crappy...what a pretty car. Best looking of all the pony cars...but I may be preaching to the choir here! You can see the new back tires in this picture.

Back view of the car. Check out those lines! The trunk lock was shot, and the previous owners had never been in it. My mind raced with the possibilities of parts that lay within! Maybe an Al Capone's vault with something of actual value in it! Since there was no way I was going to crawl around in that rat nasty infested interior to pop the trunk from the inside, I drilled out the lock. My wife stood by with the camera, ready to take a picture. Deep down inside, I think she was hoping that something or someone jumped out at me.

Yup, just like Al Capone's vault...

At least I got a rusty jack handle and a wheel out of it. Oh, and rust around the taillights, a minor amount on the floor and more rat nasties! Vacuumed it out, unplugged the drain holes in the quarters and hosed this mess out. Amazingly the quarters are not rusted out on this car.

Sorry about all the history lessons on this...this is about two months ago. Just wanting to make sure that you all can see what I started with.

More to come!
Dan
DrNoose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrNoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by wantajav wantajav wrote:

it's amazing how screwed up a "project" car {compared to odometer mile 000001 = original stock} can get over a period of time....almost like it took supreme amounts of energy invested to get to the current state of chaos.....

And 2X the energy to "undo" the chaos....

Wantajav, exactly right! I have never screwed up a car this bad. I would not know how to! How could anyone let a car get to this state?
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2012 at 2:28am
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2012 at 2:32am
Projects like this are what keeps you from doing the Clicker Syndrome in front of the tv. The jav looks to be in fair shape and will make a real nice driver.Noticed the ac condenser in front! keep it and restore the ac as it will add to the value of your car....Good luck on your find
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2012 at 8:21pm
Al Capone's lug wrench!
The car thanks you, for all you have done thus far, from now on it will only get more and more handsome.

Anytime I get overwhelmed I watch "Christine" (1983) once or twice, then I get re-inspired.

Except for the killing part. Even though! the bad guys deserved it.

Mike
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 5:02am
Damn this seems like a Lot of Work.......

Had the Car original a Vinyl Roof?  I See this Chrometrimming on the Sides.....
I´d love to have those without the vinyl Roof on my BSO.

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
DrNoose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrNoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 4:12pm
It is a vinyl roof car...there are still some rotted remnants. It will be getting a new one after paint. And yup...it is a lot of work. Worth it though...like it was said in another post, it keeps me away from the TV.

I have been working on the suspension and brakes...this way I can roll it around so I can get it outside for the bodywork. Got a great deal on most of the suspension and steering pieces at rock auto. Here is a picture of the driver's side suspension all sandblasted, painted and reinstalled. This picture was taken before I had redone the steering. I could not find anyone locally to press the bushings at a reasonable price, so I went and bought the 20 ton press at Harbor Freight. I think with a coupon I got it for less than 100 bucks.

And with all new brake components

If I take a piece off of the car, I clean it and paint it. If I don't, then I don't. I figure it will get removed and repaired one of these days anyway!

Also, as luck would have it, I stumble upon an almost complete green interior for a 1970 jav that had been removed and stored since the early seventies. Seats, interior panels, chrome pieces, etc for $800 delivered. Not perfect, but super nice. Here are a few pics.

I had parts sitting in the seats, that is why they look kinda smooshed.

I think I got a great deal. Just need a headliner and carpets now for the inside. Oh, and green paint to freshen things up a bit. Even the armrests are like new. No curls!

Rear brakes are what I am working on right now. Below is how you remove the drums when there is a 1/8 inch lip due to wear, and the adjusters are frozen solid!

69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 5:51pm
Hope you wore ear plugs while destroying those drums...
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 6:50pm
i like the green interiorSmile...id like to find door/rear panels..i think legendary makes seat covers now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic