TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 amx woodgrain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DetroitAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 10:54pm

I'd prepay for 2 - 70
    Rally-Pac setups
h022281 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h022281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 5:52am
Found this site for dashes, don't know how good they are but I am planning to buy one soon and can advise-https://www.musclecarparts.cc/shop/
mata-red View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mata-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2019 at 8:59pm
Woodgrain restoration

AMX or Javelin center dash pad $250.00
repair cracks or missing pieces, if major there will be an additional charge
sand until smooth
apply base coat 
apply woodgrain
apply sealer
apply topcoat

Armrest $100.00 per pair
here is a tip....if dimpled where the stud is attached on the back, lay it on the face on a smooth surface, take a hammer tap on the stud until the dimple disappears and sand smooth.
sand the piece
apply base coat
apply woodgrain
apply sealer
apply topcoat

Console pieces $150.00 (both)
sand the pieces
apply base coat
apply woodgrain
apply sealer
apply topcoat

Door panel pieces (paper inserts) $75.00 per pair
These are oversized by about an inch, so they have to be trimmed.Mine are not the same size and I figure there are more like mine.
Also, the reproduction door panels are using a generic woodgrain, I believe, so you do not have a true woodgrain to match the other pieces.
I use a 65 lb paper, so that there is no bleed through or warped paper.
apply base coat
apply woodgrain
apply sealer
apply topcoat

Please note that the console pieces or armrest pieces at this time does not have the striping on them. I'm working on that and you'll have the option of stripes (there will a charge for it) or no stripes. I think with no stripes on center dash pad it really doesn't matter and it matches better.

If you have any questions or want to discuss your needs please pm me. I've included pictures of the armrest and the dash pad as a Javelin piece and after I fixed the cracks and missing pieces and made it an AMX piece.Also there is a picture of the paper that I done.
You can check out the pictures on FB
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2480299285332564&set=pcb.1586007614877007&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Edited by mata-red - Feb/22/2019 at 9:06pm
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 5:20am
I'm not 100% sure but I believe the wood grain pattern itself is the same between 1969 and 1970. I "think" that on 1969 the wood grain is oriented front to back to align with the speaker overlay grain and in 1970 the wood grain is oriented side to side to match the dash direction.
I believe the grain pattern is called crossfire walnut.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
mata-red View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mata-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 7:54am
The pattern does run front to back on the '69 and the '70 runs across the dash. The '70 presents a problem when doing the woodgrain because of the span of the dash.There is no difference in the pattern for '68,'69 or '70. The woodgrain is in the walnut family, just sure what to call it. It is different from anything other car makes had. But, that is what made AMC stand out from the crowd.
AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the wood grain pattern itself is the same between 1969 and 1970. I "think" that on 1969 the wood grain is oriented front to back to align with the speaker overlay grain and in 1970 the wood grain is oriented side to side to match the dash direction.
I believe the grain pattern is called crossfire walnut.

Here is an original 1969 color standard (w/sleeve) for 69R 108 Crossfire Walnut dated June 28 1968. This should also be applicable to the dash center speaker cover as well as arm rest trim inserts.  Bruce

Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
mata-red View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mata-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 6:29pm
Thanks for the info.Are these yours? 
AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by mata-red mata-red wrote:

Thanks for the info.Are these yours? 

Sorry, not trying to hijack original thread. Just responding to new question.
Yes, I also have a 69R 87 Charcoal Metallic Plastic (w/sleeve) dated April 1 1968 for interior.  Bruce
Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2019 at 7:36am
AMC didn't use the crossfire walnut wood grain in 68. They did use a faux wood grain on the 68 Ambassador dash and door panels on some models. That was a burl grain. Not used at all on Javelin and AMX in 1968.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
h022281 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h022281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2019 at 11:38am
Has anybody tried Josh's musclecarparts? They sell dashes and some other stuff for AMC along with many other car parts. https://www.musclecarparts.cc/shop/ - https://www.musclecarparts.cc/shop/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic