TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 AMX TKO 5 speed to 2004R swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 AMX TKO 5 speed to 2004R swap
    Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 1:05pm
    Yes that is right I swapped out my TKO to a 200 4R, or I should say I had a shop do the swap.
   I contacted Art Carr at California Transmission, as from what I have read on this forum, and others he has been the goto guy for the 200 4R.  I told him what I had, a 1970 AMX with a 360, from the factory with a 4 speed.  He went back to his files, and came up with what I needed.  He worked up a complete list, from the transmission, trans cooler, fill tube, torque converter, and an adapter from Advance Adapters, and their parts.
   I dropped off the AMX to the shop, and they started the install, found out that the adapter they enclosed wasn't quite right, so using the plans from Performance American Style, and modifying them a bit, they were able to make it all fit and we used 1/4" spacers for the torque converter, instead of the larger ones supplied.  The shop made their own transmission mount, and I supplied the B&M unimatic shifter, with a modified handle that looks like a 4 speed handle.  The shop made up a plate to cover the existing 4 speed hole, and used nut plates to attach the cover to the hole.
  Everything went together quite well, they made a little plate to hang off the tunnel to mount the shifter, so the chrome ring would lay flat.
  We had a new driveshaft made, and used a lokar TV cable.  I was very happy with the install, and very happy with the transmission.
   Sure I could have saved some money by trying to rebuild the wheel, and doing the work myself, but I don't have access to some of the machine work done, and it was easier for me to write a check, and help out a shop.
    Oh, I also I had to use the thin plate (I think they called it a gasket) from my 4 speed to space out the transmission, from the block.
  If anyone else wants to do this swap, and are interested in adapter I used, I can have them made up for $280.00

Edited by eticket - Feb/18/2020 at 1:23pm
Experience comes from Good Judgement, but sometimes that comes from Bad judgement,
Mike
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 3:29pm
Did the conversion from TKO to a 200R4 require a longer driveshaft?
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Dan1500 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan1500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2020 at 11:12am
Any issues with exhaust pipe clearance?
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2020 at 12:25pm
Without a doubt, the 2004R is the way to go.
That is the way I will go when I can.
Do you happen to have any pics???
Good job,

g-man
AMC only daily driver
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2020 at 2:36pm
I assume its done now. What do you think about how it drives now.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2020 at 7:02pm
Yes it was about 2" longer
Experience comes from Good Judgement, but sometimes that comes from Bad judgement,
Mike
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2020 at 7:03pm
AMXFSTBK390 
   The driveshaft was about 2" longer.
Mike
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2020 at 7:06pm
g-man
  I don't have any pictures, as it was done at a shop, and really there isn't anything to see, except for the shop made transmission crossmember.

Mike
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2020 at 7:10pm
Dan1500
  They redid the dual exhaust, and added an X-pipe, along with using the band clamps, and put in new flowmasters.  I still have the stock exhaust manifolds, they removed the heat riser, and made an enlarged flange to go from the stock to 2 1/2" pipe at the exhaust manifold exit.
Mike
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2020 at 7:19pm
The drive is great, it shifts, and downshifts really nice.   The funny thing, is I left the clutch pedal in, and I still press it down, when I try to start it, Smile
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic