TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 AMX strut rods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keiths 70 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 AMX strut rods
    Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 3:56pm
 I have been thru page's of this forum, and being impatient as I am I decided to just ask my question.
 I replaced the bushings on the strut rods. My problem is the nut on the strut rod on the control arm side will not budge. Completely rusted in place. I want to replace the strut arms but I havn't come across where people are getting the new adjustable one's at. I plan on replacing most of the front end over the winter, but with the frozen nut I can't, or don't want to drive the car with the aliengment the way it is.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 4:10pm
if the end on the lower control arm is bolted in, heat the nut with map gas, and when hot spray pb blaster or liquid wrench on both sides, re heat and repeat. then use a good wrench withban extension handle to reak it free.

if the threads are real bad after checking once the nut is rmovd, they will cause the rod to fracture and break. 
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
keiths 70 AMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keiths 70 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 4:41pm
 Thanks, but been there done that, I even removed the arm wire brushed as much as I could and soaked it in motor coat overnight, reinstalled it with the box end of my 1" wrench on there and tried again.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 6:27pm
With enough heat that nut will move. Whether it destroys the threads in the process is an unknown.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 6:45pm
better off to sacrifice the nut instead.  Just grind thru it till you see the crests of the threads of the rod...  Do that on each side of the nut and it will pretty much twist right off... 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keiths 70 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 6:51pm
Great idea !! I will do that on Monday morning. But I will use the old style bushings instead of the poly bushings.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 12:33am
hacksaw cross the flat, parallel with the rod. when you can see the threads stop, and drive a fat chisel into the slot. it will only nick the threads, not gonna weaken them any. the nut will spread enough to get PB Blaster or whatever in there. you can buy nuts of standard thread, no big deal. the rods are a PITA.

i actually have one that was supposed to be for a 72 hornet but isnt -- we don't know what it is but its in great shape. i thi nk it's passenger side, but id have to check. there's a zillion tony variations but if you take yours out and measure i can see if mine is the same and you can have it for shipping. it's in great shape. only one of them, not a pair.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keiths 70 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 7:30am
 Thanks, I will measure it, the 1 I am working on is the drivers side.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 7:44am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

hacksaw cross the flat, parallel with the rod. when you can see the threads stop, and drive a fat chisel into the slot. it will only nick the threads, not gonna weaken them any. the nut will spread enough to get PB Blaster or whatever in there. you can buy nuts of standard thread, no big deal. the rods are a PITA.

i actually have one that was supposed to be for a 72 hornet but isnt -- we don't know what it is but its in great shape. i thi nk it's passenger side, but id have to check. there's a zillion tony variations but if you take yours out and measure i can see if mine is the same and you can have it for shipping. it's in great shape. only one of them, not a pair.

You may need to verify that it has no stop built in.   I think in 73 the strut rods had been shaped differently and will not match a 70 to 72 strut rod for Javelin and AMX.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 8:54am
After cutting the nut you can use one from another car. I used nuts from an 85 Eagle on my 68 Javelin. Used the modern moog k3090 bushings after fooling around with and wasting time and $ on the one piece kind, what a stupid design. I suggest buying a spare set of the k3090 as they are hard to find and not made any more.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic