TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 AMX SCCA B PRODUCTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 62>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2018 at 3:21pm
Joe,

Should not be anything leaking at idle with a T-10......rear main seal?
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 4:12pm
That's what I was going to ask, is it leaking engine oil or gear lube?
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 6:34am
That's why it's strange. It is gear oil not engine oil. The trans was rebuilt so I know the seals are new. Guess I need to put it on the lift and take a look when I get back from Atlanta. Its always something
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 6:40am
You have a 390/401 engine with T-10 and any type rear.  That leaves only Engine oil, and Gear Lube, unless some one put strange lube in the trans that the seals are not happy with.  Only other fluid is Anti-Freeze...which should be pretty obvious and Power Steering Fluid....are you running some strange cooler set up that has lines running aft from pump.  Those are the only sources of fluids, as far as I can tell on the pics I have seen of you car in work....or most every car....on newer cars they run ATF in manual trans (Like my Tremec 6 Speed), you should have 80W90 Gear Oil in there.....
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 5:34pm
Russ: the engine oil is Rotella and the oil on the floor is gear lube I am sure. I have not looked to even see where it is coming from but it is a circle of oil about 6 inches round dead center in the vicinity of the trans. 100% smells like gear oil. I will know when I put it on the lift. It was late Sunday and I had to catch a plane for Atlanta and did not have time to look. It was when I pushed the car back to close the door I saw the spot. CRAZY

This car has been sitting here full of trans oil for a long time. Never leaked until I started the motor.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 8:14pm
BACK ON THE CAR.

THE OIL LEAK WAS THE FILL PLUG ON THE TRANS. I GUESS WHEN I REVVED IT UP IT LEAKED OUT. DONE   NOW THE L88 RADIATOR LEAKS AND MIGHT BE IN NEED OF A REPLACEMENT. WILL HAVE TO BUY A REPRO ONE AND WELD ON THE AN FITTINGS AND REFABRICATE THE UPPER MOUNTING PLATE.

ORDERED A REPLACEMENT CARPET SET FROM AUTO CUSTOM CARPET SINCE I BOTCHED THE FIRST SET CUTTING IT IN AROUND THE ROLL CAGE. THIS TIME IT IS GOING TO A PRO TO INSTALL.

DECIDED ON RECARO PROFI SPG WIDE SEATS, ALREADY HAVE THE WEDGE ENGINEERING BRACKETS BUT I NEED TO SLIDE THEM INBOARD 2 INCHES TO CLEAR THE ROLL CAGE, EASY FIX AND WILL DETAIL THAT MODIFICATION TO THE SEAT BRACKETS.

I NEED TO DECIDE ON THE BRAKE FLUID TYPE AS WELL, WAS GOING TO USE DOT 5 BUT HEARING ISSUES. THOUGHTS? I HAVE TO FABRICATE A MOUNT FOR THE ADJUSTIBLE PORPORTIONING VALVE AND THE HYDRAULIC PARKING BRAKE WHICH WILL GO NEAR THE SHIFTER. I AM GLAD TO BE BACK ON THIS PROJECT. ITS BEEN TOO LONG....
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2018 at 9:20pm
I was working on the car and figured out the RECARO seat mounting situation. Basically the driver's side will fit using WEDGE ENGINEERING seat brackets mounted in the stock location. The right side is a bit of a challenge with the current roll cage configuration. My first thought was to mount 2 strips of 1 1/4 wide steel to the factory mounting holes the slide the WEDGE ENGINEERING seat brackets inboard about one inch. This might be a solution but I discovered that if I used a driver's side bracket on the right side, it inboards the seat about one inch. Might be a better solution. WEDGE sells the bracket for $99.00 so it would save a bit of fabrication and repowdercoating..

The RECARO seat I am getting are the PROFI SPG XL models with 6 point harnesses.

waiting for a replacement radiator to come from TRACEY CORVETTE. Since my radiator is an original L88 Corvette unit, the mounit is fabricated for this type of radiator so I just ordered a replacement. TRACEY CORVETTE also welded on the Aluminum AN-20 fittings as well.

1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by JERSEYJOE JERSEYJOE wrote:

I NEED TO DECIDE ON THE BRAKE FLUID TYPE AS WELL, WAS GOING TO USE DOT 5 BUT HEARING ISSUES. THOUGHTS?

... assuming planning some racing/hard driving, Dot 5 is generally not recommended.

Wilwood brake fluid tips

Hope this helps,RD
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 1:05pm
Those 'WEDGE ENGINEERING seat brackets' look just like the ones I bought from Corbeau. Looks like the seat manufacturers purchase these and re-sell 'em.
I also have the double locking sliders. Just as an FYI, the rear holes didn't line up very well. I simply needed to slot a few holes to get them to fit. Still a good starting point compared to fabricating from scratch.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 10:03pm
it is possible that the seat bracket are generic and come from one source. As I said in the post the driver's side will work but the passenger side needs to be moved inboard by 1 1/2 inches to clear the cage. Rather than drill the floor my options are:

Use a drivers side bracket on the passenger's side and massage the existing bracket holes or mount a 1/1/2 wide plate to the stock floor holes and slide the existing passenger side bracket inboard and weld it together, both might work

I just bought another set of RECARO side brackets and will fit them up this weekend and be done with it.

Waiting for my replacement radiator which should be here by Friday
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 62>
  Share Topic