TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 AMX SCCA B PRODUCTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 37>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Captednj View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captednj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2014 at 4:59pm
You're painting it Porsche silver too? Oh No, the "silver bullet" rides again!

A few images of Jersey Joe's ride (scanned from old prints), circa February of 1980:

JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2014 at 9:08pm
WOW Captain Ed surfaces!  These pictures are very old. This is not the car that is subject to the build. I actually sold the car in this picture to buy the SCCA car.  The car in this picture was sold to another member of this forum who moved to California but the car remains parked in a garage in NJ and has been there since around 1988. This Spring I will be shipping the car to its owner in California.

I met Captain ED in 1979 while he was cruising around North Alrington, NJ in his big Bad Orange 69 AMX. I remember he had a worked 390, L60's and a vertical gate shifter. We have been close friend ever since, and I must say, a finer friend I have never known..
1985 CJ 7 401 dana 60's 37's
1987 J-20 401 Stock resto
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2014 at 11:32am
I can't wait to see it finished Joe. Such an awesome ride.
Captednj View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captednj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by JERSEYJOE JERSEYJOE wrote:

WOW Captain Ed surfaces!  These pictures are very old. This is not the car that is subject to the build. I actually sold the car in this picture to buy the SCCA car.  The car in this picture was sold to another member of this forum who moved to California but the car remains parked in a garage in NJ and has been there since around 1988. This Spring I will be shipping the car to its owner in California.

I met Captain ED in 1979 while he was cruising around North Alrington, NJ in his big Bad Orange 69 AMX. I remember he had a worked 390, L60's and a vertical gate shifter. We have been close friend ever since, and I must say, a finer friend I have never known..

Yes, that was the second AMX that Joe built. Those pics were taken when the car was barely out of the paint shop. That car sported a built 360 at the time, which was soon replaced by an early 401 that Joe had swapped a second-gen Javelin rear spoiler for.

I recall helping Joe drop that 401 in during a late-night session at his Dad's garage, and then taking it out for a test run in the wee-hours of the morning. That mill was otherwise internally stock, with the exception of a TRW performance cam that Joe had previously used on the original 360. IIRC, it was good for 13.20s at 110 mph on the street tires and pump gas of the day, spinning 3.91 gears through a stock T-10. I remember that mill was topped by an Edelbrock Torker with a 780-Holley vacuum secondary carb, and exhaled through a set of Hooker headers into a 2.25' exhaust system that utilized Walker Corvair turbo mufflers.

My '69 BBO AMX, had been used as a drag car at one time, and was spinning 5.13 gears inside an AMC 20 rear with welded tubes and gusseted spring perches. The drag engine was long gone by the time the car came into my possession, and had been replaced by a fairly mild, rectangular-port 390. Because of the 5.13 gears, I had to run 27.5" tall tires (L60-15 size, equivalent to today's 275-60-15) just to keep the RPMs under 3500 at 55 MPH! It was a factory Go Pack car, and had exactly zero creature comforts. I recall that it was a chore parallel parking it with its manual steering box and dead trunnion bearings.

Here's a scan of the only surviving pic I have of that car, circa June of 1978.

TheHubble View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHubble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2014 at 7:09pm

Any updates on this beast?

JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2014 at 2:55pm

ITS BEEN A LONG COLD, SNOWY WINTER HERE IN NJ.  I HAVE BEEN SPENDING WEEKENDS UP NORTH RIDING MY SNOWMOBILE SO WORKING ON THE CAR HAS BEEN A BIG ZERO.  AS SOON AS THE SUN COMES OUT AND MELTS EVERYTHING I CAN GET BACK IN THE GARAGE AND CONTINUE ON.  WE ARE ALL EXCITED ABOUT HEARING THIS THING FIRE UP.  HOPEFULLY IN MID APRIL...

I WILL BE POSTING MORE PICTURES SOON.

Edited by JERSEYJOE - Mar/23/2015 at 11:39am
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2014 at 3:40pm
Thank you for posting all of this.   It has been an interesting thread.   makes me want to KICK myself in the rear. I bought my first Donohue Jav many years ago and it was a lot like your car. Never street driven from day one was put on the track and modifications made to become a track champ for like 5 consec. years .   After the 3rd accident close to the end of a season the car took 2nd in the track points the car was stripped of the 390 4 speed and transplanted into a spirit to take over the Track championship again. the body sat and I purchased it.   But sold it to a man in Niagra Falls. as I never got to doing the car after purchasing 3 other Donohue Javelins.   I do hope it ended up in a good place but the Flairs make me miss the Ole First Donohue I owned
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout     
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2014 at 4:37pm
Thanks for the support. This has been well supported by the group here, and I can't wait for the warmer weather to put the finishing touches on this beast and let it Rock and Roll like I know it can.  There is a lot of my personal youth history here as well as a lot of legit SCCA seat tim for the previous owner. I wish I had more documentation ie log books or other SCCA period documentation for the car.  I am trying to keep it as much as possible period correct but at the same time tame it for street use even though back in the early 80's I did drive it on the street exactly the way it was raced. No interior, one seat, window net, ect...This car kicked rump on the street at the time
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

TheHubble View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHubble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2014 at 6:21pm
I bet this thing only got beaten by big blocks on a dragstrip. Thing about today that sucks is all the cool kids with mommy and daddy's money are out and about in 600+hp stock production cars. Kinda takes the fun out of building an old small block to your own specs. I'm excited to see this thing take another first breath after so long.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2014 at 10:12am

THERE WAS A GUY WITH A HEMI ROADRUNNER THAT GAVE ME A HARD TIME.  HE WAS MORE DRAG RACING SETUP THAN ME.  HE NEVER WANTED TO DO A ROLLING 20 MPH STREET START RACE.

NOT SURE OF OTHER PLACES BUT WE USED TO DO A ROLLING 20 MPH START.  THERE WAS A PLACE ( STILL EXISTS) ON RT 20 IN PATERSON, NJ. WHERE THERE WERE 2 OVERHEAD BRIDGES THAT WERE ALMOST EXACTLY 1/4 MILE APART.   WE WOULD ROLL UP TO THE BRIDGE THEN GO THE 1/4 MILE.  AT THE TOP END THE WINNER WAS THE FIRST ONE TO CLEAR THE BRIDGE.   WORKED VERY WELL CAUSE YOU COULD SHUT DOWN AND LOOP AROUND TO DO IT AGAIN!!   BACK IN THE 80'S IT WAS MORE OR LESS TOLERATED BY JOHNNY LAW.  TODAY THEY WILL LOCK YOU UP FOR DOING THIS,.
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 37>
  Share Topic