TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 390 water pump bolt leaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHACKING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 390 water pump bolt leaks
    Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 7:02pm
iv put a water pump on this car 3 times..
first time was given the wrong pump
2nd time water pump was defective and leaked profusely out the weep hole
3rd time did pressure test for 12 hours and had no leaks at 14psi
drove car 50 miles and pump starts leaking from around the large bolts that go through the water pump and timing cover
tried retorque the bolts it stopped for a while and now started again
does anyone know if there is any certain precautions taken when installing pumps on these engines.
about to go out of my mind....3 times and this is a very clean engine bay takes a lot of time to reassemble when trying to keep everything painted nice.
any info is appreciated.......
thanx.....
nightmare raymon.....
RAYMON H
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 7:33pm
I had a small hole at the top of my timing cover. Right at the water port about midway from block to pump. Lucky me, as it was easy to spot.

Probably from running old anti freeze for so long before I bought the car from the original owner.

That hole could have gone anywhere around the water port on the timing cover. I bet you may have a crack or whole that is causing it to leak from your bolt hole. The only way to verify is take the cover off an inspect the port passage.

I would say fill the bolt hole with lots of RTV, but your only masking the leak, which may flow behind the cover and into the pan.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 9:20pm
There were some pretty dang gone thick washers in places on the few AMC V8's I worked on.
imho the large Water Pump Bolts -MAY- bottom in the block BEFORE clamping on the Water Pump.
One way is thread them in by hand with the Pump off and measure under the bolt heads and
compare to the water pump casting thickness, which there are variations of the Water Pump Boss Heights...
The Intake Manifold Mounting Bolts is another place this can potentially happen...
That is Bolt bottoms out in blind tapped hole BEFORE actually creating sufficient clamping force...
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 9:32pm
I think the long 3/8 bolts go into holes that are open to the water jacket, I would use thread sealer on them. Multiple torquing of the bolts can crush the gaskets so they will not seal. I would only use felpro gaskets, lots of gaskets supplied with water pumps are junk.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 2:35pm
the long bolts have two different lengths based on which hole they go in. could have mixed them up and got them in the wrong hole and bottomed out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic