TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 Rambler Indy Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2016 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by MD Racer MD Racer wrote:

I was looking around the internet and found this picture of the car. I don't know where it was taken, but it looks like it was in 1969 sometime.

The flattop in the upper right id great product placement...!

No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2016 at 10:27pm
Digging around I found some more info on the car's history.

7-19-69 Trenton
Started 21st Finished 11th 118 laps flagged
Driver Les Scott

7-27-69 Indianapolis Raceway Park
Started 24th Finished 23rd 11 laps oil pressure
Driver Les Scott

9-21-69 Trenton
Started 25th Finished 20th 47 laps ignition
Driver Les Scott
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2017 at 1:21am
I have been back to the photo archive at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and have found some more pictures or the Navarro Indy car from 1968. I will be posting them as soon as I receive them. Seems the car was wrecked in 1968. Photos also show Les Scott as the driver.
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2017 at 11:16am
The Navarro car was wrecked in 1968. The car never qualified for the Indy 500 Race. If I recall correctly it did run a couple others races, but never at Indy. I think it wrecked during time trails or practice. I've seen some of those pictures. The Indy track museum use to have a few of them on it's on line history section at one time. LRDaum
LRDaum
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2017 at 2:08pm
Thank you MD for going to the effort of starting this thread and keeping it updated with new pictures!
And thanks to everyone else who posted information, articles and pictures!

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 1:45pm
-Sure does make the AM 232 look good learning their trouble was not from the engine itself.

In that group of pages posted by mramc, does anyone else see how the cylinder head combustion chambers look modified?
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 3:39pm
Here are the photos I found of the car in 1968. First photo shows Les Scott in  the car as the driver. Second photo has his name as the driver taped over on the side of the car.  The third and fourth are after the car hit the wall. 

1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 3:50pm
Interesting note looking at all the photos is seeing the changes in tire width each year. Also the changes in the bodywork configuration of the engine cover. It looks as though Barney kept the car close to original in 1967, then he cut down the rear engine cowl in 1968. The paint scheme also changed from 1967 to 1971. 1968 was the first year it was painted red, white and blue. I had spent two hours going through the photo negative books to find the 1968 pictures at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway photo archive. I will have to go back and see if I can find any pictures of the car in 1972. 
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2017 at 2:04am
a few years back i sold all the Navarro rambler stuff i had -- except for the crankshaft and a big box of bearings -- to a guy up in seattle WA area who was building a replica of #50 for himself or a client. he owned an import-scene turbo retrofit business (don't laugh, those guys get 1000 hp from lil' ol' 4-bangers these days) =. he drove down, paid cash, and took it all away. haven't heard a word about it since. i hope the project didn't die.

i had a fantasy of building a more modest motor from the various parts, but it was all too exotic. i kinda wish i'd saved one head, with the AMC factory R & D part number (one had no number at all!) but they were not amenable to easy re-use.

then in 1967..1970, what Navarro was doing was just magic. today, with computers, it's barbaric. that is no insult to him! he did in his head and with slide rule what "kids" use computers for. he understood as well as anyone how turbos and combustion worked. it's a tribute to him that he did it AT ALL never mind at Indy level of performance. i take it that there were "system" problems, not engine problems, that kept the car from qualifying -- chassis, driver, ...

all i had was a test mule engine and parts that had run at Buttonwillow, and possibly a speed run at Bonneville. test mules for the single-turbo, the carbed version. i did have some incomplete Hilborn FI stuff but no pump etc.

today, you could work up a clone of it that would do as well or better. the hard part would be the mechanical cam stuff, adjustable pushrods and all that. the 550 (!) hp engine was a factory 199 block, the only mods were a drilled out main oil gallery and some external mods to cooling (and i have that nailed with current tech, hands down). 

again no insult to him, a 40 YEARS INTO THE FUTURE! 4.0 head would probably flow close to what Barney got from the '66 AMC head. a wild cam and big carb, you could do it now. the block is certainly strong enough.

the intake system looked unlike anything today, all those snakey long runners. but you could make that now, it wouldn't be hard. and the long intake runners would be great.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 1:06am
It would be cool to see a replica of the car run again. I hope the buyer of your engine does something with it. It would be a shame to lose a great piece of AMC history. I still have all the photos of the car, now that photobucket is holding the uploaded copies of them for ransom. I am still going to go back and try to find some more pictures of the car from 1971 and 1972.   
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic