TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 Rambler Indy Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 Rambler Indy Car
    Posted: May/28/2016 at 4:20pm
I found these photos in the Indianapolis Photo archive of the Barney Navarro Rambler six powered Indy car. It never qualified, met an unfortunate end in a crash during practice. If anyone has more info on this car please add to this post. I tried to find pictures of the car in 1967 and 1968 but was unsuccessful. They have some photos scanned in to their computers and lots of photos that are not.

1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 4:41pm
Great photos, that was certainly some piece of work with that big turbo hanging out the side.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 6:23pm
I was looking all over the internet about a year ago for photos of the Navarro AMC Indy car for Bob McClurg's" History of AMC Motorsports " book. I have some stuff on the 70's Indy car. Wish I'd known you had some more photos for Bob's book. The latter more successful 70s effort  did not make to the book due to lack of space. Just ran out of room. LRDaum
LRDaum
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 6:34pm
The Navarro AMC Indy car never qualified at Indy. I believe it ran in a couple of the other Indy cars races with out great success. The car used an older(1964) A J Watson chassis and never had a top driver in the car. They used Les Scot, who was used to set fuel economy records for AMC. I believe the car was wreck while trying to qualify for the 1967 Indy race. The INDY museum had a photo or two of the car crashed against the out side railing as I recall. The crash pretty much ended this effort from my understanding. By 1968 the new rear engine Indy cars were coming to fore and the older roadster type cars were gone pretty soon after. LRDaum
LRDaum
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 7:29pm
I bought these photos from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway photo archive in the museum. They have photos from each year scanned into their computer system. I found these in the 1969 photo archive. They printed them out for a cost of $10 each 8x12 print. I didn't find any pictures in their 1967 or 1968 files. They also have books of pictures in a back room that are not scanned into their data base. I didn't have enough time to look in them. Someday I will go back and look again.
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 9:33pm
I found some more information on this car. The car was built by AJ Watson for Roger Ward in 1964. It was entered in the Indy 500 that year as the Leader Card #2 Kaiser Aluminum entry. It finished second in the 500 and had two other second place finishes that season. In 1966/7 close season it was sold to Norm Hall, who linked up with Barney Navarro to use the 199 ci 6-cylinder AMC Rambler turbo engine Navarro Engineering was developing. The car appeared from 1967-72 but, as a general rule, failed to qualify. It was later acquired from Navarro by Roger Ward and restored to it's 1964 specifications. The car is now on display at the Malloy Foundation Collection (Corona, California).

Edited by MD Racer - Jun/01/2016 at 11:48pm
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2016 at 6:56am
Too bad the motor wasn't reunited with the car and return to the AMC colors. Another chapter in AMC racing that is not documented enough. Ouch.

Picture are very cool non the less.

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2016 at 8:44am
Check with TomJ here on the forum. He purchased one or two the motors. If I recall correctly.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2016 at 12:15pm
I am going back to the Speedway next weekend to watch the vintage car race and will go back to the Museum photo archive to see if I can find any more photos of the Navarro car. I am looking for info on the races the car was in and the results. I found some info on it's performance in 1971 and 1972, but don't have any info prior to those years.

1971 Season

2-28-71 Rafaela Indy 300 (1) Autodromo de Rafaela, Mexico
Qualified 20th Finished 19th
Driver Dave Strickland

2-28-71 Rafaela Indy 300 (2) Autodromo de Ralaela, Mexico
Qualified 19th Finished 15th
Driver Dave Strickland

1971 Indy 500
Drivers Dave Strickland and Les Scott
Did not make a qualifying attempt

9-5-71 California 500 Ontario Motor Speedway
Driver John Cannon
Only used in practice

10-23-71 Bobby Ball 150 Phoenix International Raceway
Driver John Cannon
Did not appear

1972 Indy 500
Driver Jigger Sirois
Did not make a qualifying attempt.
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
8pack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8pack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2016 at 10:04am
Very cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic