TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 Pro-touring AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyMetalXO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 Pro-touring AMX
    Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 6:22pm
I came across a 1969 pro-touring AMX build on the pro-touring site, and is so far pretty damn badass. the guy is going for 335's on all four corners. he'll be running an ls engine by the looks of it, which is a shame in my view, but to each his own I guess.
here is the Link:

the guy has amazing fabrication skills, just see his other build...
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 6:30pm
WOW that is some impressive welding work! Not sure how happy too many AMX collectors are going to be about him cutting up what he called, "the nicest floors and panels he ever worked with", but it is what it is. I guess if its AMC powered he'll redeem himself LOL!! Definately a ballsey build though!
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 6:49pm
That engine does not look like AMC to me.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
HeavyMetalXO View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyMetalXO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 6:56pm
I believe its an old ls2 block, which was in a mustang that he previously built, and it happened to commit suicide...the person is using an the Ls series chevy engines due to the cheap reliability and power.
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 12:33pm
He said he was using the Ls7 over the 401 due to the weight savings? Cripes he cut out a 200 lb floor and added a 800 lb full frame. Makes sence to me Confused  he does have some amazing fab skills!

Edited by 70 Donohue 390 - Jan/11/2012 at 12:44pm
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

He said he was using the Ls7 over the 401 due to the weight savings? Cripes he cut out a 200 lb floor and added a 800 lb full frame. Makes sence to me Confused  he does have some amazing fab skills!

Good point on the weight!!

I personally wish he had started with an AMX with a rusted out floor board, but hey it's his car.

Also, it looks like the turning radius is going to suck on that thing if he stays with the 315's. Gonna to have to make a 3 point turn to make a right. Ouch  Oh well, it will look badazz when it's done, and I agree the guy is an awsome fabricator.     

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 4:54pm
Anyone else notice that he has a second AMX in that shop! lOOK at the 3rd picture down in his thread, and he is sitting on a lawn chair ontop of the cut out amx Floor, in the background there is another 2 seat AMX sitting in the shop. Interesting.

Just scrolled through that entire thread..and he is thinking of putting twin turbos on the LS engine. I think the trade off in weight for the roll cage vs the AMX floor is validated by the strength of the cage. The LS motors are easy to get 500+ horsepower out of and 650+ with a supercharger...with twin turbos he'll probably be making a lot more than that.

The front end is probably going to have huge wheelwells cut into the fenders to be able to turn those tires. Wouldnt a fiberglass front end make more sense??? Or are cars built like this intended to be all sheet metal?   I'd be VERY impressed if he pulls off a factory sheet metal AMX front clip on that thing and keep the factory dash.

Edited by 348AMX - Jan/11/2012 at 5:50pm
Jtomas801 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtomas801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 7:07pm
Ron's amx is awesome, and he has great sheet metal skills.

http://www.thestreetfighters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Ronsnewfront1.jpg

He stretched and flared the fenders on his mustang /\  and going to have to do something like it on the amx.

Thanks,
Jon

Edited by Jtomas801 - Jan/11/2012 at 7:08pm
wobblyweb View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wobblyweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 10:05am
Nice work, too bad he's using LS power.
purplehornet View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplehornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 9:59am
Originally posted by 348AMX 348AMX wrote:

Anyone else notice that he has a second AMX in that shop! lOOK at the 3rd picture down in his thread, and he is sitting on a lawn chair ontop of the cut out amx Floor, in the background there is another 2 seat AMX sitting in the shop. Interesting.

Just scrolled through that entire thread..and he is thinking of putting twin turbos on the LS engine. I think the trade off in weight for the roll cage vs the AMX floor is validated by the strength of the cage. The LS motors are easy to get 500+ horsepower out of and 650+ with a supercharger...with twin turbos he'll probably be making a lot more than that.

The front end is probably going to have huge wheelwells cut into the fenders to be able to turn those tires. Wouldnt a fiberglass front end make more sense??? Or are cars built like this intended to be all sheet metal?   I'd be VERY impressed if he pulls off a factory sheet metal AMX front clip on that thing and keep the factory dash.

There is a yellow Hornet to the left of the background AMX.

73 Hornet X hatchback
401, auto, 5.00-1

70 AMX
390, 6 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic