TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1969 Javelin SST 343 Restoration - minimal mods
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 Javelin SST 343 Restoration - minimal mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 11:18am
Edelbrock 2132  
Performer-Plus Camshaft Kit
AMC 290-401
.448''/.472'' Lift
278°/288° Adv. Duration
1500-5500 RPM Range 

Thats the camshaft info that I pulled from JEGS where I bought it. And below are the headers I purchased. My dad is the one that picked these out I honestly don't know a whole lot about these upgrades and what they will do to the 343 motor. 

Hooker Headers 7901-1 - Hooker American Motors/Jeep Competition Headers
Competition Headers
  • 260-401 AMC V8
  • 1972-76 Gremlin X/Hornet SC
  • 1968-73 Javelin/AMX
  • 1974-76 Matador
  • 1979 Spirit
  • 1.625'' x 30'' Primary Tubes
  • 3'' X 8'' Collector
  • Metallic Ceramic Coated

TX390AMX View Drop Down
    AMC Addicted
    AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 11:34am
    That's the same cam I have in my 68 AMX 390, once it warms up, it smooths out to a nice idle with just enough lumpiness to know it's not quite stock. Your headers should help with both sound and power. Nice Javelin and looks like a very professional job on the suspension so far. Keep the pictures coming.
    Terry
    68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
    68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
    68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
       Russet
    56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
    2016 Can AM Spyder
    55 Chev pickup
    Dogyman2 View Drop Down
    AMC Apprentice
    AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2016 at 1:13pm
    Well there's good news and bad news AMC fam. I got the seems under the windows front and  back rust free and primered. I got the steering column looking almost brand new again (minus the wheel itself that has seemed to of shrunk.) So I need to decide on a steering wheel replacement.

The bad news is since my factory radiator has been sitting and been moved several times over the last 5 years it's been damaged....So I am welcoming all suggestions on replacing it! By the way, this looks factory to me but when I look down the neck I see 4 cores. Is that right? Jerry at American Performance Products said that my car didnt come stock with a 4 core so I am confused!

I found a 2 and 3 row and JEGS that are aluminum for about $175-227. But my factory one is a 4 row so what should I do? Also, you will notice the wiring mess. I heard you can buy a harnesses that will make life so much easier. Any recommendations?

Edited by Dogyman2 - Aug/24/2016 at 1:20pm
    wantajav View Drop Down
    AMC Addicted
    AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2016 at 6:34pm
    Hello

-Me I'd get the cheapest thing that cools the best = universal aluminum radiator from Summit.

Then get your original recored when you have some extra dough. The original Go pack may have included a "heavy duty" cooling package -this might explain the 4 core.

Post your radiator code and we'll tell you if it was from that time frame.

Give us a photo of your metal door tag on the drivers door, then we can tell you if that tag matches the radiator date/approximately

pacerman View Drop Down
    Supporter of TheAMCForum
    Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2016 at 6:52pm
    The core counts for aluminum and copper brass radiators are not directly comparable. Heat transfer capacity of the two metals is different. Joe
    Happiness is making something out of nothing.
    6768rogues View Drop Down
    AMC Addicted
    AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2016 at 6:58pm
    Usually a 2 row aluminum radiator will out cool a 4 row copper/brass radiator. Copper and brass are better conductors of heat than aluminum, but aluminum alloy is stronger so the tubes can be deeper and skinnier with thinner walls, leading to better cooling.
    Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
    Dogyman2 View Drop Down
    AMC Apprentice
    AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 11:09am

Well I have the AC compressor on but now I'm trying to remember where all these darn brackets go! Ugh.

shopandsurf View Drop Down
    AMC Apprentice
    AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shopandsurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 5:22am
    First one is a transmission dipstick tube support that goes on last hole that is used to attach the spark plug heat shields.  Second one is an additional support for the alternator.  Third one is a support for the AC bracket.  I am attaching two pictures to show them on my build.  There are two other brackets for the AC you can see.  A small right angle on the underside of the AC and a brace to the top of the AC that goes to the intake manifold.

1969 AMX 390 AT Go Pac Bittersweet
    Dogyman2 View Drop Down
    AMC Apprentice
    AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 8:10am
    Than you Shop and turf! Huge help!
    Dogyman2 View Drop Down
    AMC Apprentice
    AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogyman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2016 at 9:35am

Well I got the trunk pan cleaned up and now it's time to repair the holes..

Started sanding the interior floors.

Door tag for those that know what the numbers mean. Feel free to share!

Well I took off the gawdy wheel covers and BAM. I think these are Mag 500's yes? But they dont look in great shape... Maybe a bead blast plus powder coat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
      Share Topic